PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else kind of pseudo unschool?

sienna
05-12-2009, 03:42 PM
After starting the year with sonlight...i can now say that we are pretty much unschooling except for the 3Rs...
We use MathUsee, Explode the Code Bob Books, and A Reason for Handwriting & Draw Write Now.

For the rest, i'm pretty adhoc and unschooly....does anyone else do this?

S

Heather Micaela
05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
We unschool in the sense that we utilize curriculm but dont live by them. What makes me most unschool is the rejection of the idea that someone should learn something by a ceratin point or that learning can be pushed into someone. So the currculum is the tools.

Right now that is pretty much just Math U See and Starfall.com

HuggaBuggaMommy
05-12-2009, 03:58 PM
That's me. I call it relaxed eclectic. We use Ambleside Online as a general guideline, but take it or leave it as we see fit. We do *tons* of unschooling as well, in every area (especially science). I'm such a go-with-the-flow kinda gal.

Heather Micaela
05-12-2009, 04:01 PM
That's me. I call it relaxed eclectic. We use Ambleside Online as a general guideline, but take it or leave it as we see fit. We do *tons* of unschooling as well, in every area (especially science). I'm such a go-with-the-flow kinda gal.
:yes

WanderingJuniper
05-12-2009, 04:22 PM

Similar. :yes With my older we need to be more structured but with my younger we cover the basics and let her lead to a degree. We just did a whole bunch of stuff about weather because her and Pirate wanted to know why the weather person was always wrong. :giggle

MomtoJGJ
05-14-2009, 07:28 AM
We do school (curriculum and unit studies)... but then the rest of the day is unschooled... we learn something in everything we do.

DD3 (2.5) is very interested in whales, so we read whale books, color whale pictures, talk about how big whales are when we see the school bus go by, etc.

DD2(4yo) wants to learn to read, so we pick out letters and read anything that has words.

DD1 (6yo) has questions about everything... if I don't know the answer we look it up together. She also is learning how to play basketball because she wants to. We discuss physics while she's playing.

Science, math, and reading are constant... I think the most important thing is to listen to your child and even if you do school at home realize that there is a world beyond the books. We started teaching our children from birth without textbooks and it can continue... it doesn't have to be all or nothing... and it won't/can't be that way...

deena
05-14-2009, 10:56 AM
I think most unschoolers grow into it like this. It goes against everything we've been taught in this society. It takes a while to see that it really does work.

KatieMae
05-14-2009, 11:00 AM
A friend of mine is part of Archers - Relaxed Christian Homeschoolers, or something like that - based on principles written by Mary Hood iirc. It seems mostly unschooly, but not entirely - is anyone here familiar with it? Apparently there's a group that meets near us.

veggiegirl
05-15-2009, 04:30 AM
I guess we are pseudo unschoolers then too. I make sure my oldest does some Math and Phonics every day, but other than that, it is really unschooling. And very much unschooling for the under 5 crowd.

twinmomma
05-16-2009, 05:08 PM
:yesWe homeschool the same....relaxed eclectic with our emphasis on the 3 r's.

euromom
05-16-2009, 05:13 PM
:raise We started out completely unschooling ds's preschool, but then I realized he actually really likes to do some worksheets and activity books, so we use them when he is interested in doing them and he chooses which ones he wants to do.

saturnfire16
05-16-2009, 06:40 PM
We're whole-life unschoolers. Of course, the kids are still real little, but I don't see my philosophy changing any time soon. It's going too well! :)

LadyofReason
05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Same here. Most days it's unschooling. Some days we get some math pages in and a bit of handwriting. DH wants to work in a bit of math and handwriting every day and I'm working on that. He's fine with unschooling for the rest of it though. :)

Peaceful Meadows
05-20-2009, 02:49 PM
A friend of mine is part of Archers - Relaxed Christian Homeschoolers, or something like that - based on principles written by Mary Hood iirc. It seems mostly unschooly, but not entirely - is anyone here familiar with it? Apparently there's a group that meets near us.

I :heart Mary Hood's books! :yes :rockon