PDA

View Full Version : Our butterflies hatched

sweetpeasmommy
05-12-2009, 01:04 PM
IDK if hatched is the right word, but this morning when we got up 2 of them were out of their cocoons. One more just made his way out and another is still working on it. DS is psyched. :cool

Lantern Light Mama
05-12-2009, 01:06 PM
When you ordered your kit did you have to pay extra for the butterflies? I would love to do this with DS!

erinee
05-12-2009, 02:03 PM
They don't actually hatch, they molt. If they are butterflies, the pupa is a chrysalis, so when it's finished growing, it molts and the butterfly emerges. It's not like a shell but part of it's actual body. Most moths spin a protective cocoon in which to pupate. That's one way moths and butterflies are different.

One thing that fascinates me is that most of the pupa actually dissolves and reforms inside the chrysalis.

I'm not trying to be nit-picky, it's just some information that might be interesting to pass along to your kiddos. :)

Living My Dream
05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
oh wow!!! piccies?

sweetpeasmommy
05-12-2009, 04:13 PM
We got ours in a swap. But I think if you order the kit here (http://insectlore.com/) you can get the butterflies delivered at the same time for no extra cost. erinee thanks, I knew hatched didn't sound right. :think Pics are kind of hard because the mesh butterfly house makes it hard to get a good pic. I will try though.

Beth1231
05-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Wow, what a great activity to do with your son!

Can I give you a piece of friendly advice? Do not release your full-grown butterflies if you can see a robin anywhere near your "relasing" spot.

Trust me on this one (two of our butterflies got swooped out of the sky by a hungry robin in front of my four year old students!)

:shifty So relase them carefully and I'm sure you guys will have fun until then :heart