PDA

View Full Version : The workbox system...why all the raves?

Peaceful Meadows
05-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I have heard them mentioned at different places on the internet and even visited the creator's website but am still confused about what's so wonderful about them and why the system is needed. :/ Can someone explain to this skeptic what all the fuss is about and why it's so wonderful? :giggle

http://www.workboxsystem.com/index.html

O.K. I probably just don't get it because of my more relaxed "unschooly" approach to homeschooling. She explains the benefits here (http://www.workboxsystem.com/id27.html).

tigerlily
05-10-2009, 07:33 PM
:popcorn

HuggaBuggaMommy
05-10-2009, 08:08 PM
O.K. I probably just don't get it because of my more relaxed "unschooly" approach to homeschooling.

I'm with you here. :scratch Sounds like a way to schedule, organize, and keep track of every little thing. :shrug3 That's all.

mommy2abigail
05-11-2009, 05:33 AM
Ok, so we aren't hardcore 'workbox' followers, but we aren't hardcore unschoolers either. :giggle We let dd lead in how much 'school' she wants to do...she just happens to really love to do 'schooly' stuff. And while *I* am totally into unschool, my dh wants to have a plan of some sort, and I respect that. I have come up with a yearly plan, so that he feels more comfortable with HS. The plan is very very very loose, it's as simple as:
May
Science: Zoology
Math: Measurement
Geography: South America
History: Culture/customs of SA
Literature: Classics with animal stories (Beatrix Potter, Winnie the Pooh, Curious George, ect)

So we use a very simplified version of workboxes. I have one box for each day of the week, and on Sunday, I will go throughout our materials and stick a few things into each box. Then on that day I will put the box on the kitchen table for her to look through and if she wants to do the stuff, great. If not, no biggie. I started to do them because I was finding that we had SO may cool things and they were neatly packed away and we weren't using them! Now, I know that once a week, I can go through all of our things and actually use it.

For example, a few weeks ago, I found a bunch of ZooBooks magazines at the thrift store for $.39!! And I put them nicely away so that dd2 wouldn't get into them and rip them apart. For this month, we are 'studying' animals for our science. So, for every day of the week, I will put a magazine in the box. For math, since we are 'studying' measurement, I put a set of measuring cups, a ruler, and a kitchen scale in the boxes. If we use them is totally up to dd, but she knows we have them.

And just because we use the workboxes doesn't mean we don't follow her lead, if she all of a sudden wants to look at planets or American Indians, we do that, no big deal. They are more for me to feel like we are utilizing what we have and being organized with record keeping. I like them because they aren't so strict (well, maybe they are, I haven't actually read the website much, I just saw the idea and modified it to fit our needs) but they help to keep me organized and give dd a lot of freedom as to what she does when. It's like a little surprise every morning on the table for her!

jenn3514
05-11-2009, 05:46 AM
subbing to look at when I stop sneezing!

WanderingJuniper
05-11-2009, 01:45 PM
I've also wondered about it.

Marmee
05-11-2009, 04:35 PM
I did look on the website, but I am still trying to figure out exactly what it is. Just some boxes with daily work? Maybe I missed it - she does sound excited about it though. I would be interested in hearing more. Do you have to contact her and pay something just to see what it is?

ShangriLewis
05-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I think it's interesting, but so wasteful. I can't imagine all the plastic I would need for my three boys.

You put all the stuff in order of how you want it done. That's it. Like cutting everything into manageable pieces.

(I think some moms have more time than they know what to do with :shifty)

Peaceful Meadows
05-12-2009, 04:04 AM
I think it's interesting, but so wasteful. I can't imagine all the plastic I would need for my three boys.

Learning centers make more sense for families of multiple children and unschooling families. You could still use the box idea for the centers. A box with language arts materials kept in one place, a box with math supplies in another, a box with history items in another, music in another, art, science, etc. but that is still more work than needed plus sometimes subjects merge together.

Personally, I like my shelves and mobile storage cabinets that I use for my "learning centers". :yes That's what works for us but maybe I am not fully understanding workboxes.

Booklover
05-12-2009, 05:28 AM
I think it's a way to make kids more independent. I would probably be stressed trying to figure out what to put in all the boxes everyday.

Peaceful Meadows
05-12-2009, 05:48 AM
:think I can see that it could maybe help them become more independent. I can think of some families IRL that may find this system very helpful.

For myself, I prefer my way of teaching my children to become independent learners and I don't have to buy a system to do it. ;) :giggle

RealLifeMama
05-12-2009, 06:02 AM
I attended one of her workshops once, and I thought it would be helpful, but I never implemented it.
I think for my ADD-ness it would help keep us on track. But I guess a list would do the same thing, if I had been good to gather the materials first.

I am organizationally challenged and foggy-brained, so it appeals to me.

But yes, the author is very, very structured. She even structured her children's outdoor play.

Titus2Momof4
05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I have heard of it on other message boards.

When we were homeschooling, we were very 'school at home'......and even *I* thought they seemed like a LOT of work. You're supposed to have something like 8-10 boxes (right??) PER CHILD. Wow. And I only have 4.....but that seemed like way too much planning and 'laying it all out ahead of time' on my part. The idea behind it, from those I know who use it, seems to be that you are more 'hands-off', because you've laid everything out. And yet, with all the time it takes preparing the boxes up, it seems like you're trading one huge chunk of time for another, IMO. :shrug

RealLifeMama
05-13-2009, 04:00 AM
It is not just so kids are independant. In fact, there is a sticker you put on the box if they need to work with mom.
Apparently, it is a good motivator for children because they know what comes next and how much they have left to do.

Titus2Momof4
05-13-2009, 04:42 AM
I didn't mean so that the kids would be completely independent.... but they *are* designed so that mom doesn't have to do so much work with the kids directly/direct teaching. :shrug3

mom2boys
05-13-2009, 10:27 AM
ShangiLewis-:lol I KNOW!! can you imagine the plastic in this house?? I'd have to buy stock in Rubbermaid! :lol

We use a system to organize the boys' work that's much easier for me to figure out-I bought them each a large magazine holder (plastic...but only one per kid :giggle) and they put all their work in there. that way all they bring to the table is that file-and it's much easier for me to keep their work corralled, too. Plus it has the added benefit of requiring frequent clean outs-it only holds so much!

...with all the time it takes preparing the boxes up, it seems like you're trading one huge chunk of time for another, IMO. :shrug

that's kinda what I think, for my personality. I love the time it takes me to sit down and schedule out the boys' schoolwork every week, but if I was putting everything into a box I would get mad if they didn't actually use it the way I wanted them to. I think it's a great system-I love systems! I also think I'm not one who would benefit from using it.

RealLifeMama
05-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Have any of you attended one of her workshops?
I am not a structured person at all, but I really did not get the same impression of the system's implementation.

Titus2Momof4
05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Admittedly, no I have not attended any of her workshops.

When we were homeschooling, for me it was the whole 'getting the boxes ready' part that scared me off, though LOL

WanderingJuniper
05-14-2009, 07:18 AM
It seems like just another thing that is really great for one family and not so great for another. Lots and lots of stuff out there like that.

mom2boys
05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Have any of you attended one of her workshops?
I am not a structured person at all, but I really did not get the same impression of the system's implementation.

no, there's never been one in my area. I liked the idea of it, so I did all the research and asked as many questions as I could online. :-)

It seems like just another thing that is really great for one family and not so great for another. Lots and lots of stuff out there like that.

Exactly! That's why we homeschool in the first place, isn't it?? :heart

Gentle Journey
05-14-2009, 12:00 PM
The HOD board talks about it frequently. I've modified it due to space. I have 3 kids currently HSing. That's 36 boxes as she reccomends 12 boxes per kid. It helps make sure all things get done each day. It allows the kids to see what's left. You mix some fun things in too, like a game or a box of brownie mix. I posted this on my yahoo group.

I have 3 kids HSing, so 36 bins just wasn't gonna work. For under $8 each at
wal-mart I got 3 desktop files. Real pretty striped pattern with matching
files. The kids decorated and put thier names on in foam letters. The boxes
stand 12" wide and 5" deep. I store them side-by-side, so in all it's only
taking up 12" by 15". I put everyone's work in the order they do it. I like
the way it's working so well, I bought myself one today to organize what I need.
So I'll start with the bible, then the TM, then our story book, etc. I like
that my kids can easily pick up the whole days worth and set it on the table.
They know how much is left so they don't have to ask. I've made computer cards
and choice cards to slip in and plan on making two break cards they can redeem
between subjects so I don't always have to hear "Can I have a break?". I also
plan on adding a pocket, like the way libraries use and have a card sticking up
with the number on one side and a happy face to flip over when it's done.

jenn3514
05-15-2009, 03:52 AM
That sounds so organized and easy Sara.
We are switching to TOG this year, and I know they recommend the kids be responsible for making sure they check off their work, I'm thinking a file folder would make it alot easier for me also.

Mama Rophe
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
The HOD board talks about it frequently. I've modified it due to space. I have 3 kids currently HSing. That's 36 boxes as she reccomends 12 boxes per kid. It helps make sure all things get done each day. It allows the kids to see what's left. You mix some fun things in too, like a game or a box of brownie mix. I posted this on my yahoo group.

I have 3 kids HSing, so 36 bins just wasn't gonna work. For under $8 each at
wal-mart I got 3 desktop files. Real pretty striped pattern with matching
files. The kids decorated and put thier names on in foam letters. The boxes
stand 12" wide and 5" deep. I store them side-by-side, so in all it's only
taking up 12" by 15". I put everyone's work in the order they do it. I like
the way it's working so well, I bought myself one today to organize what I need.
So I'll start with the bible, then the TM, then our story book, etc. I like
that my kids can easily pick up the whole days worth and set it on the table.
They know how much is left so they don't have to ask. I've made computer cards
and choice cards to slip in and plan on making two break cards they can redeem
between subjects so I don't always have to hear "Can I have a break?". I also
plan on adding a pocket, like the way libraries use and have a card sticking up
with the number on one side and a happy face to flip over when it's done.

I'd love to see a pic of this! It sounds neat.

Gentle Journey
05-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I'll get a pic up tomorrow:)

WanderingJuniper
05-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Sara that sounds like what I am try to finally get to. I'm not there yet but I've only one that is really homeschooled right now. In a few months is when I'll need a bit more organization. We already have the magazine boxes for each child.

Gentle Journey
05-16-2009, 06:02 AM
Ok, so this is what my little corner looks like now. It's got my bx added in. I've turned them around so you can't see the names as they usually sit the other way. You can kind of see the dividers. I haven't added on the cards yet like I want to. But that's an organized day for 4 people in that small space. In the doors to the side and the bins under the table I keep extra note books, colouring books, flash cards, etc. If you need mre pics LMK.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2q03i3s.jpg

Mama Rophe
05-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Perfect! Thank you so much for posting that pic. I was having trouble visualizing what you were talking about. I really like how you have it set up. It saves a lot of space. I like the idea of the workbox system when they are free to choose the box they want to do. I love organization. (even though I have a hard time staying organized :O )

What do you do with the completed work?

Gentle Journey
05-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Over on top of the white thing I'm going to get a box that they can put everything in when they are done. Then it's all in one spot for me to reload again.

tempus vernum
05-23-2009, 04:34 AM
I am really intrigued by this system. DD and I are spending the summer determining what her fall will look like and I really like this idea. :rockon

Sara, I love how you have that set up :tu :think

Peaceful Meadows
05-23-2009, 07:57 AM
As I read more about it, I think I could tweak it to work for us and our homeschooling style. The problem would be space. :think I am thinking of doing a box per boy. :think I like what Sara, she was wise in how she conserved space. I just don't have a good place to stack boxes. :think

Heather R
05-23-2009, 08:49 AM
I've seen people use those drawer units (like to the left of Sara's file boxes) as work boxes. One tower per child, and each drawer acts as a "subject"/workbox. The kids pull out each drawer as they need it and put it back when they're done. Some people use velcro and little laminated tags on the front that change daily. It seems fairly compact, but maybe still too much space?

Heather

live~laugh~love
05-28-2009, 07:17 PM
(I think some moms have more time than they know what to do with :shifty)

;)