PDA

View Full Version : So my homeschooled child wont have a HS diploma?

Codi
05-07-2009, 03:12 PM
How does this work, and what are my options? Does a child homeschooled all through grade 12 not get a HS diploma? Is there only option a GED?

Also, I was reading in Homeschooling: A Family's Journey that she said something about having to make transcripts for her daughters to get into college. Like, with letter grades and everything of the subjects, etc....Is this something that needs to be kept track of throughout the years? And does anyone have an example I could see of a homeschooled child's transcripts?

Herbwifemama
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
:popcorn

rootsintherock
05-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I just came back from my neighbour's where I was getting some veteran HSing advice. :rockon She showed me all her records (she has one in 5th and two graduating this year) that she has kept. She started giving/recording 'grades' etc in Jr. High (middle school) and has a awesome record system including keeping/filing major test/exams that her kids have done just in case a college needed to see them. She is issuing her kids a diploma that she ordered from a HSing company. One of her kids has started picking out colleges and apparently her HSing diploma isn't a problem. Hope this helps....

Teribear
05-07-2009, 03:26 PM
It depends on the state you are in, how you chose to homeschool and what kind of importance you place on a diploma. In our state the easiest and most common way to homeschool is to be under the "umbrella" of a church related school. When my DD graduates she will receive a diploma from her CRS just as if she had attended their brick & mortar campus. HSLDA makes beautiful middle school and high school diplomas available for order each year if you are not in a state that has the umbrella school option.

All a transcript is is a record of your child's credits and grades. I know there are several places online that you can look at sample transcripts. I'll see if I can find one and get back to you. I have also heard that colleges are accepting portfolio and other options for homeschooled student's admissions requirements in some cases.

Iarwain
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I am keeping loose records now to be transformed into transcripts as we need them. In my state homeschools are legally the same as any other private school so I will issue diplomas as my students graduate just like any private school administrator would. For the sake of college we are looking at typical public high school requirements for graduation and aiming for that as a guideline for the credits colleges will expect to see on their transcripts.

Codi
05-07-2009, 03:50 PM
So is a diploma necessary to get into college, 4 year or community? Is a diploma I would issue my kids "just as good" as a public HS diploma? (in the eyes of colleges, jobs, etc)

Are certain things required of you if you do the umbrella thing? Im not too familiar with umbrella schools.

Heather Micaela
05-07-2009, 04:07 PM
For a community college, all you have to be is 18 - althought with parental permission many HSers join early. If you do this, "high school" becomes irrelevant.

Also you could find out what college a child wants to go to and find out what that particular school requires.

Here in CA we are a legitimate private school. My diploma is legitimate. I have years to worry about how to do transcripts if/when I find it necessary

saturnfire16
05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
My mom helped my sister make up a diploma for her homeschooled daughter. They printed it out on my mom's computer and the community college didn't blink an eyelash. Universities actively recruit homeschoolers, so it's not a problem there either.

cindergretta
05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm in your state and here is what we are doing: my oldest starts 9th grade in the fall. We are using an on-line school (NOT a public school on-line academy) that offers a variety of high school classes. All his work and time spent working will be tracked through the time he spends on the computer, kwim? Then I will keep physical records here of his Rosetta Stone and guitar and such, basically his "electives." In the 11th grade, he will do Running Start (God-willin' and it don't rain ;) ) and thus make somewhat moot the issue of diplomas and college acceptance issues, kwim? He will not participate in *any* state-mandated high stakes testing. :no (The WASL is being eliminated but it will be replaced with some other "high stakes" test. :/ ) The only way to get a state issued high school diploma is to take their required test.

jenn3514
05-07-2009, 04:50 PM
So is a diploma necessary to get into college, 4 year or community? Is a diploma I would issue my kids "just as good" as a public HS diploma? (in the eyes of colleges, jobs, etc)

My dd is going away in the fall to college. She applied to numerous colleges, public and private, community and state universities. The only thing we had was a transcript. I put down her subjects and her running grade in each of them. Along with the publishing company we were using for each subject. Only one college called and asked us for a diploma or GED. It was February! I called and said she didn't have anything else, as the public schoolers didn't either. I had to explain it to someone else- but they finally excpeted that in my state you are not required to do that. But anyway- she was accepted to every school she applied to, and even was able to receive academic scholarships.

J3K
05-07-2009, 04:51 PM
:popcorn

I've got a 10th grader...I'm listening. I thought I knew the rules...but just recently talked with someone (from my state) who said she was "forced" to take a GED as "her diploma". Either a) the family wasn't well informed and went along with it b) the college wasn't well informed or c) some combo of a&b . But it did make wonder and shake my foundation a wee bit.

Codi
05-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Yes. I do have a LOOONG time to worry about this. I was just wondering how it all worked. I like to know as much as possible when making my long term plans and goals.

I am not sure how I feel about things like the WASL. Mostly I feel :rolleyes about them.

I was reading in that book I mentioned above, that many of the universities her daughters applied to required certain AP tests to be taken to (I think) see where they stood in their knowledge?

And she did also talk about certain colleges "recruiting" homeschoolers but that it is all a numbers game. For a college to be highly sought after, they have to have a low admittance rate, so they recruit people (homeschooled or not) to make sure they "reject" many many more than they admit. Also, she said that in their experience, the "homeschool friendly" colleges were only that way do to the person running admittance. Once those people are gone, well its up to the discression of each person running the office when you apply. That actually many colleges still see homeschooled kids as "socially awkward," etc.... BUT that they ARE, in general, becoming more and more aware of how well homeschooled students really do. :tu

ANyways....bbl

Heather Micaela
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Yes. I do have a LOOONG time to worry about this. I was just wondering how it all worked. I like to know as much as possible when making my long term plans and goals.

I am not sure how I feel about things like the WASL. Mostly I feel :rolleyes about them.

I was reading in that book I mentioned above, that many of the universities her daughters applied to required certain AP tests to be taken to (I think) see where they stood in their knowledge?

And she did also talk about certain colleges "recruiting" homeschoolers but that it is all a numbers game. For a college to be highly sought after, they have to have a low admittance rate, so they recruit people (homeschooled or not) to make sure they "reject" many many more than they admit. Also, she said that in their experience, the "homeschool friendly" colleges were only that way do to the person running admittance. Once those people are gone, well its up to the discression of each person running the office when you apply. That actually many colleges still see homeschooled kids as "socially awkward," etc.... BUT that they ARE, in general, becoming more and more aware of how well homeschooled students really do. :tu

ANyways....bbl

If it means the same thing, AP tests are Advanced Placement tests to see if you can test out of certain subject and get instant college credit

BearyBlessed
05-07-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't know what the laws are myself. I haven't really looked into it yet.

But, my parents just made up a diploma for me. I went to community college and was never asked for a diploma or anything.

Amber
05-07-2009, 09:29 PM
:popcorn This would be a long way out for us...but I'm curious

HummusDip
05-07-2009, 10:06 PM
:cool

Codi
05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Ahhh...ok. Im not to familiar with AP credits, college admittance, etc. I only attended a vocational college for Medical Assisting.

So you can 1) Make your own diploma whether or not your a legal private school. 2) Take state tests to get one of their diploma's. 3) Get a diploma through an umbrella school. 4)Throw the whole diploma thing out the window because it doesn't really matter anyways. :shifty

Right?

But transcripts ARE something you DO need?

ArmsOfLove
05-08-2009, 10:39 AM
In our state we make our own diploma if we want one :)

and we don't need transcripts BUT they are a good idea for the high school years--especially if the student has a goal of where they want to attend. I would call likely schools and find out what their entrance requirements are and tailor study/transcripts to being suitable :)

slingmamaof4
05-08-2009, 11:01 AM
In Maine to get into college I had to give my transcript and my SAT scores. It don't remember if I had to show my diploma. I did have one from my parents.

jenn3514
05-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Transcripts and ACT or SAT scores were required at every college dd applied to (except community college). The colleges all asked for a GPA, backed up by transcripts. we just fashioned it like report card.

BearyBlessed
05-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Oh, I should mention that I did take the SAT. I'm not sure I needed it for community college, though.

Codi
05-08-2009, 06:10 PM
OH yes, I forgot to say that I read that all colleges asked for SAT and/or ACT scores and GPA.

Leslie
05-08-2009, 07:19 PM
My son needed his SAT and transcript to get accepted into the local private liberal arts college of his choice - but they required seeing his diploma before he could actually start classes.

It became stressful when he had just a few days left until classes started and his umbrella school still hadn't mailed his diploma. We talked to his college admittance counselor and he emphasized that my son could not attend classes until they had his diploma in hand. :shrug3 I'm in TN, where you have to be under an umbrella school qualified to issue diplomas. I think it depends on the state you're in and the college - if a college knows you're a homeschooler, and understands your state's laws about the diploma, they may give you more leeway about that if the SAT scores and other documentation prove the child's eligibility. My son also got in on a scholarship under the National Merit Scholarship program - so his requirements may have been different because of the scholarship.

Heather Micaela
05-08-2009, 08:26 PM
OH yes, I forgot to say that I read that all colleges asked for SAT and/or ACT scores and GPA.

Not true. I know I am pushing this a bit, but I am a big fan of community colleges. You can enter a CC with no SAT or ACT then after a year transfrer to a major univeristy. (Or get an AA then transfer). that is what I did.

saturnfire16
05-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Not true. I know I am pushing this a bit, but I am a big fan of community colleges. You can enter a CC with no SAT or ACT then after a year transfrer to a major univeristy. (Or get an AA then transfer). that is what I did.

:yes
And CC's are WAY cheaper!

cindergretta
05-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Yeah, we are totally on the CC train. :giggle :yes

Ds will probably do Running Start and the whole diploma/SAT/grades/GPA issue will be moot---- God willin'! :grin

Teribear
05-09-2009, 08:21 AM
My son needed his SAT and transcript to get accepted into the local private liberal arts college of his choice - but they required seeing his diploma before he could actually start classes.

It became stressful when he had just a few days left until classes started and his umbrella school still hadn't mailed his diploma. We talked to his college admittance counselor and he emphasized that my son could not attend classes until they had his diploma in hand. :shrug3 I'm in TN, where you have to be under an umbrella school qualified to issue diplomas. I think it depends on the state you're in and the college - if a college knows you're a homeschooler, and understands your state's laws about the diploma, they may give you more leeway about that if the SAT scores and other documentation prove the child's eligibility. My son also got in on a scholarship under the National Merit Scholarship program - so his requirements may have been different because of the scholarship.

I'm in TN too and I've found that there is actually a work around on that for most of our kids. If you do dual enrollment during their Jr./Sr. years a diploma becomes a moot point. They're allowed to enroll as high schoolers and once they're in they're in. That is the route we are planning to go.

katiekind
05-09-2009, 08:36 AM
When my homeschooled kids applied for college, all the college needed was a transcript showing the subjects they studied in 9-12 grades with credit hours and grades, and their ACT scores.

For the transcript, I reconstructed their studies by looking back through the school planning notebooks I had used, and translated them into school-ese. For example, since they had read extensively and written essays and fiction and poetry every year, I awarded them an English credit each year which appeared on the transcript as English 1, English 2, English 3 and English 4. One son also made an extensive study of British writers so I put English Literature on the transcript and gave him a half-credit for that (as if it were a half-year course.) The boys studied Algebra, Geometry and Algebra 2 through textbooks, so they had those listed on the transcript.

It's not that hard once you get into it.

Codi
05-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Heather, I agree about the CC thing. I want to encourage my kids to take their time with college and also will probably get them into CC in 11th grade or so anyways. :shrug3 I just like to know how everything works and all the different routes possible. The more educated I am on the subject, the better I can talk about it and understand everything. :tu

Question for those who do like the idea of and keep transcripts, how do you go about that if you are less formal about your schooling?

jenn3514
05-09-2009, 09:23 AM

You have to be careful though, and if you have a four year college in mind, check with the admissions dept. or call a counselor. DD is majoring in nursing, a couple of the colleges wouldn't accept any credits from a cc, and one would accept her degree, but she would still have had to repeat some classes (mainly sciences) and take a couple extra classes.

Heather Micaela
05-09-2009, 04:42 PM

You have to be careful though, and if you have a four year college in mind, check with the admissions dept. or call a counselor. DD is majoring in nursing, a couple of the colleges wouldn't accept any credits from a cc, and one would accept her degree, but she would still have had to repeat some classes (mainly sciences) and take a couple extra classes.

Of course. I guess I just took that for granted. Always keep in contact with your matriculation counselor.

SilverMoon
05-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Not all CC's don't require the ACT or SAT. In this state, and in my county, the ACT is required. They also require AP testing to place the student in an appropriate class level, and the student can CLEP classes to receive college credit without taking the class. CLEP is $70 right now. DANTE (I don't know what that is) is $80.
Also, make sure you keep some record of the transcript you create because in later years your child might need it. When I applied to CC a few years ago, I needed my transcript. This was almost 20 years after high school.

Heather Micaela
05-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Not all CC's don't require the ACT or SAT. In this state, and in my county, the ACT is required. They also require AP testing to place the student in an appropriate class level, and the student can CLEP classes to receive college credit without taking the class. CLEP is $70 right now. DANTE (I don't know what that is) is $80.
Also, make sure you keep some record of the transcript you create because in later years your child might need it. When I applied to CC a few years ago, I needed my transcript. This was almost 20 years after high school.

I think I was thinking concurrent enrollment more.

But here in CA all I needed was to be 18. You could take their tests to see if you qualified for college level courses or needed a beginner course first

illinoismommy
05-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Since homeschooling is the fastest growing educational choice in the US, I was hoping by the time my child got old enough to worry about this that they would have some new diploma deal :O

katiekind
05-11-2009, 07:29 AM
The way it works now is that since a home school is basically a micro-private school, if you want to issue a diploma to your child, you issue a diploma to your child.

Dana Joy
05-11-2009, 07:43 AM

But here in CA all I needed was to be 18. You could take their tests to see if you qualified for college level courses or needed a beginner course first

The community college system here in CA also has the added bonus of having an agreement with the two state university systems (UC, and CSU). IF you follow the coursework outlined by the system AND get a 2.5 gpa you are guaranteed transfer to the school- the lower division coursework is "certified" and you are done with it no matter what changes occur in the requirements.

Leslie
05-11-2009, 07:53 AM
Since homeschooling is the fastest growing educational choice in the US, I was hoping by the time my child got old enough to worry about this that they would have some new diploma deal :O

There are definitely political changes that will come in the next decade, but whether those changes will favor homeschoolers or discriminate against them remains to be seen. There are passionate advocates lobbying on both sides, and more federal control over education could make things either better or worse, depending on which way the wind blows.

The way it works now is that since a home school is basically a micro-private school, if you want to issue a diploma to your child, you issue a diploma to your child.

It depends on your state - not every state recognizes micro-private schools. In my state, we are required to be either under the state's public school system, or a "satellite campus" of an umbrella school. If you're not , then you have to take the GED.

jewelmcjem
05-11-2009, 08:00 AM
For a community college, all you have to be is 18 - althought with parental permission many HSers join early. If you do this, "high school" becomes irrelevant.

This is the route I plan to go -- by the time my kids are HS age, I would have them enrolled in community college for most HS subjects anyway (most have dual enrollment for HS and you don't even have to be 18), such as literature, social studies-type classes, upper maths (my college basic Algebra was just a review of hs. Why take it twice?), etc. Then they would transfer to the university or 4-yr college of their choice (and budget, lol) with a "real" transcript and college hours behind them already.

I think I need more parenthetical phrases in this post, don't you?

Leslie
05-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I think I need more parenthetical phrases in this post, don't you?

Maybe (maybe not?) :P~

katiekind
05-11-2009, 10:41 AM
It depends on your state - not every state recognizes micro-private schools. In my state, we are required to be either under the state's public school system, or a "satellite campus" of an umbrella school. If you're not , then you have to take the GED.

Leslie, thanks -- so if you're a satellite campus, then your umbrella would issue the diploma, right? If your child takes the GED to satisfy the state, can you not also issue your student a diploma after he or she has satisfied the state and satisfied your own educational requirements?

Leslie
05-11-2009, 10:56 AM
so if you're a satellite campus, then your umbrella would issue the diploma, right?

Right - although there is current legislature in our state about whether the state will recognize "category IV" diplomas - those diplomas are from private schools and homeschool umbrella schools. If the state won't recognize those diplomas, then even a diploma issued by an umbrella school would be worthless - as well as diplomas for students in private schools. My son's diploma is from our umbrella school, and it makes it look like he was a student there. As far as our state is concerned, there are no homeschooled high schoolers; all of them are enrolled in private schools. It stinks because when my son got honors in high school, it went on record as a distinction for a private school eight hours away that he never stepped foot in, instead of as a distinction for the homeschooling community.

If your child takes the GED to satisfy the state, can you not also issue your student a diploma after he or she has satisfied the state and satisfied your own educational requirements?

Yes, but it would be like issuing him paper money printed off your computer - as far as the state is concerned, it doesn't count for anything. The state would consider him a student who got a GED instead of graduating from high school. There are two states that work this way.

Heather Micaela
05-11-2009, 01:04 PM

The community college system here in CA also has the added bonus of having an agreement with the two state university systems (UC, and CSU). IF you follow the coursework outlined by the system AND get a 2.5 gpa you are guaranteed transfer to the school- the lower division coursework is "certified" and you are done with it no matter what changes occur in the requirements.

which is a benefit not just to homeschoolers but all univerity bound students. I have never regretted going the CC route

canadiyank
05-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I didn't HS and am not HSing my kids, but I just wanted to say I don't have a HS diploma. As in, I do not have that physical piece of paper b/c I had moved to the states right after graduating HS and somehow missed getting one (my grades were not determined until months after graduation b/c of the Provincial standardized tests that had to be graded...). I didn't even realize I didn't get one until I saw my friend's on her wall and was like, hey, I should probably have one of those. :lol I never have needed it - just HS transcripts. It's interesting to me that some places needed physical proof!

Auroras mom
05-11-2009, 01:34 PM

The community colleges in Florida all wanted GPA and SAT scores, along with a diploma, when I was in that age range, and I think it is the same now.

jenn3514
05-11-2009, 02:19 PM
The state would consider him a student who got a GED instead of graduating from high school. There are two states that work this way.

In NJ, if you pass the GED, you are issued a HS diploma, not a GED. It has the states name instead of a school name, but the top says high school diploma.

Dana Joy
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM

[/quote]
which is a benefit not just to homeschoolers but all univerity bound students. I have never regretted going the CC route
[/quote]
:yes that is how my parents managed to afford 4 college educations, all of us, including my mom went to CC before going to a CSU. My BA doesn't say where my lower division coursework was done, so why pay all that money?

Heather Micaela
05-11-2009, 07:36 PM

[/quote]
:yes that is how my parents managed to afford 4 college educations, all of us, including my mom went to CC before going to a CSU. My BA doesn't say where my lower division coursework was done, so why pay all that money?
[/quote]
not to mention there are profs who teach the same course at both

Leslie
05-11-2009, 07:42 PM
In NJ, if you pass the GED, you are issued a HS diploma, not a GED. It has the states name instead of a school name, but the top says high school diploma.

It seems to me that if they want a standardized system of making sure high school graduates are really educated, this would be the way to go.

MtnMama
05-11-2009, 07:49 PM

And here, tuition is waived for high schoolers dually enrolled in the CC. :tu

Codi
05-11-2009, 07:53 PM

And here, tuition is waived for high schoolers dually enrolled in the CC. :tu

Do they "count" home schoolee high schoolers?

MtnMama
05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I can't imagine they could discriminate based on type of schooling. :think

mamahammer
05-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Here in TX, IIRC, if they include private schoolers, they'd have to include homeschoolers.

BHope
05-11-2009, 08:51 PM
FWIW, my mom kept transcripts on my sisters and I. My older sister got her diploma from an umbrella school. Myself and my younger sister both graduated our senior year from PS, so that was a moot point. We've never had an issue with either our homeschool transcripts or diploma's (in the case of my older sister.) However, my husband, who attended PS his whole life, needed both a diploma and high school transcripts (as well as college) before his employer would even consider his application. So the transcript/diploma issue doesn't always end at the doorsteps of a college or university.

Codi
05-11-2009, 09:10 PM
FWIW, my mom kept transcripts on my sisters and I. My older sister got her diploma from an umbrella school. Myself and my younger sister both graduated our senior year from PS, so that was a moot point. We've never had an issue with either our homeschool transcripts or diploma's (in the case of my older sister.) However, my husband, who attended PS his whole life, needed both a diploma and high school transcripts (as well as college) before his employer would even consider his application. So the transcript/diploma issue doesn't always end at the doorsteps of a college or university.

Right. Another reason I was wondering. Employers often request things like this and am wondering how important having one is. And if they view "self-administered" diplomas the same. :think

AdrienneQW
05-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I will issue my children a high school diploma from our private school (homeschool) when I consider them to have graduated from high school. Separate from that, they will also attend community college when they are academically and socially mature enough to take classes (15yo? 16yo? Time will tell). Ideally, I would like for them to have completed an associate's degree by the time they are 18yo so they can then transfer as a junior to a university, assuming that's the route they choose to go.

I will also issue transcripts as needed. In CA, I have all the rights (and responsibilities) of any private school, including setting graduation requirements and issuing transcripts and diplomas as I see fit. :tu

katiekind
05-12-2009, 06:00 AM
California is great that way. :yes

Heather Micaela
05-12-2009, 03:22 PM
California is great that way. :yes
That is why I really dont want them to make Homeschool as a separte entity legal. We have almost absolute freedom as an itty bitty private school

jenn3514
05-13-2009, 05:50 AM
Do they "count" home schoolee high schoolers?

Here you just submit a letter stating that you are homeschooling the child.

Garland
05-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Wow, you are thinking waaaaay ahead! :smile

Yes your highschool homeschooler can have a transcript. We live in a great area with lots of resources for helping you figure out how to do that when the time comes.

There is a lady at the homeschool conferences every year who lives in our state and teaches specifically about homeschooling your highschoolers. She teaches how to make transcripts. Both her boys received full-tuition scholarships to SPU. She is a great resource! Here is her website:
http://www.thehomescholar.com/services_speaking.php

P.S. ~ Maybe I'll see you at a homeschool conference sometime. I'll be going to one day of the WHO Convention and one day of the WATCH Convention this year.

Codi
05-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Wow, you are thinking waaaaay ahead! :smile

Yes your highschool homeschooler can have a transcript. We live in a great area with lots of resources for helping you figure out how to do that when the time comes.

There is a lady at the homeschool conferences every year who lives in our state and teaches specifically about homeschooling your highschoolers. She teaches how to make transcripts. Both her boys received full-tuition scholarships to SPU. She is a great resource! Here is her website:
http://www.thehomescholar.com/services_speaking.php

P.S. ~ Maybe I'll see you at a homeschool conference sometime. I'll be going to one day of the WHO Convention and one day of the WATCH Convention this year.

Yes....WAY ahead! I havent even "started" preschool. :lol That is just how my mid works. :shrug3

That would be cool to see you at a conference. We have been looking into going this year. :tu The one in Puyallup is the only one we know of. Maybe you could send me more info?? :mrgreen

Garland
05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Maybe you could send me more info?? :mrgreen

:yes Pm'ing you...

AppleSauceCookies
05-25-2009, 01:52 PM
CC is def. a great way to go. My psych instructor told the entire class that if he had his way, he would yank every kid out of highschool and place them in CC as soon as they hit 14. Crazy, huh. But, when most PS students are graduating at an 8th grade education level, it just goes to show ya.