PDA

View Full Version : homeschool summers?

TrinMama
05-06-2009, 07:08 AM
What do you do? Anything? Nothing? We're likely sending T to the public school in the fall for K, BUT I just know she's advanced...I can spend a few minutes a day with her on putting letter sounds together into words, and then when we practice even weeks later, she'll read it like it's no big deal, even without sounding out first. She also figured out how to read "spend" off of her piggy bank, with no help! She's curious as ever...I do not want to pass up this time in which her brain is soaking things up like crazy! I really want to fill her up with knowledge and learning...so help me out with what you do in the summer months to keep your young ones interested and thriving and learning.

veggiegirl
05-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Reading together is the best way to keep up the interest in learning! We homeschool, but I like my children to have a break in the Summer. We will just make more trips to the library, maybe go on some fun fields, and do a fun science experiment or two. But I like to let them have the chance to play and be outside in the Summer.

amanda1
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Last year my dd was between preschool and kindergarten. We worked on Handwriting Without Tears almost daily, and did some simple addition a couple of days a week, just to keep her skills us.

This year we will probably do an abreviated CM homeschool using AO, but I have done a schedule for only 3 days per week. We are going to decide WHICH days we do it as it comes. This way we are flexible to spend a day at the public pool or do other things and won't be tied down 5 days per week and will have plenty of free time (for the kids at least :yes).