PDA

View Full Version : Timeframe for transitioning to big kid bed

KatieMae
05-05-2009, 05:24 AM
The last time we did this (Lilia was the little, Jude was the impending baby), we did NOT do a good job & ended up with Lilia squished between Michael & I for two months after Jude was born until she gave up & WANTED to get out of our bed. I don't want a repeat performance of that :no2

So, Jude will be two in June, Baby is due in January. He doesn't nurse during the night anymore, but does like to cuddle sometimes. He will be moving into L&L's room - the boys will be in bunk beds & Lilia will be in her bed's current position but in a new bedframe (we already have the bunk beds, but un-bunked, side-by-side) We also have a crib mattress with toddler sheets that we used w/ transitioning Lucas, so that's an option to be put on the floor of our room. The tricky part is knowing when to buy a new bed for Lilia & put Lucas up on the top bunk so Jude has a place to sleep.

Do you think we should start out with using the toddler bed first? How far in advance would you start the process? Tell me about your best experience please :popcorn

Havilah
05-05-2009, 05:26 AM
:popcorn

I don't have a clue, but I'm interested in having some free space in my bed. ;)

TrinMama
05-05-2009, 05:36 AM
Well, based on our experience of moving co-sleepers out, I would start now. :shifty I'd start with the toddler bed in your room, as his bed to sleep on, but let him know that he can cuddle anytime. :yes Or you can come sit with him...that worked well for the girls, eventually. Maybe in a few months when he's doing well with that, let him know that soon he gets to bunk up with the other two! :rockon Make it exciting and special...maybe he can pick new sheets for his bed? Just talk it up, and see how he does. If he's game, I'd say it'd be a good time to maybe move his toddler bed in there on the floor for a bit, if there's room, and while that transition happens, get the new bed for Lilia and move Lucas up (if he's anything like T, he will like it but every night for weeks insist that he would prefer being down low :doh :giggle). Then, say, "Hey Jude! :giggle (sorry, couldn't resist) Guess what? Time to put your special new sheets on the big boy bed!! You're ready for sleeping here with L and L! Way to go!!" and reassure him that cuddles are always special. :hug

oh you asked for best experience. uh, that is Gabe, who sleeps on his own. :shifty

doubleblessings
05-05-2009, 06:29 AM
I put mine on a mattress on the floor first.
I had a couple of reasons - they are rollers for one and the fall was shorter, but also it allowed me to lay down beside them to help them get back to sleep if they woke.

When they turned three we put them in twin beds and box springs (but no frame so not as high as some beds). I think we could have made that transition earlier, but the new bed on the birthday was a good transition for us. I let them pick color of their sheets when we got the "big" beds. When we started this, I would sit on the floor and rub their back or hold their hands while they went to sleep.

cro
05-15-2009, 08:08 PM
We also did the crib mattress on the floor first. J was such a roller, it was the safest thing for him. But I also loved how easy it was to lie down to nurse him. He never had a toddler bed - just went from mattress on floor to twin bed.

Are here any reasons to hold off on rearranging the older kids' beds? It seems like you could do that at any time. too bad L's birthday is so close to your due date - a new bed would be an exciting gift. Maybe you could shake things up at the start of summer?

kiloyd
05-15-2009, 08:37 PM
I always just sleep with mine in their bed and then get up and go to my bed. Veeeerrrryyyy gradually it becomes all night that they sleep there.

TrinMama
05-16-2009, 04:08 AM
so...What have you decided?