PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Math for Kindergarten

ronioli
04-30-2009, 02:23 PM
I've been looking at Singapore Math for dd who will start kindergarten in the fall. She will be going to a Spanish immersion program at our local public school, but I plan to do some homeschooling as well.

What is the difference between the Earlybird Kindergarten (http://www.singaporemath.com/Earlybird_Math_Standards_Ed_s/135.htm) and the Essential Math for Kindergarten (http://www.singaporemath.com/Essential_Math_s/138.htm)? If I start off with the Earlybird materials, do I need to get the textbooks ($23 each) and the activity books ($14.50) or will just one or the other suffice? I'm not even considering the mega expensive teacher's guide. :)

Grover
05-01-2009, 06:04 AM
I know singapore are updating all their workbooks but I m not sure which is the new one.I used some of Earlybird but decided N could cope with 1A -so moved him up.I found the workbooks were sufficient at this stage.

MomtoJGJ
05-01-2009, 06:15 AM
My 4yo is doing Earlybird right now and is almost through with 2A and we didn't start until January... if your dd knows any math at all I'd suggest just going with Singapore 1A... DD2 can also do that, but I want her to get confident with school work because she's not a confident child. DD1 (6yo) is doing Singapore 1A right now and is about half way through it because she doesn't do a whole exercise in one day. She doesn't like sitting that long, so I only make her do as much as she's wanting to do and only once a week. Having them in separate books is nice for DD1 too so that she doesn't think she's "failing" because her little sister can do it too.

But in my opinion Earlybird K is REALLY easy and for kids who have not been exposed to math at all.

I do not know about the Essential Math for K... haven't seen it.

ronioli
05-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Hmmm. I will check out the 1A and see if dd is ready for that. I haven't done any direct instruction in math, but she's picked up a lot of concepts from cooking projects and playing games. She can do simple addition.

Happygrl
05-02-2009, 11:59 AM
We have Earlybird B (the 4 book K series is discontinued now). We skipped A. I don't have the teacher's guide or any other materials, just her book. Its been totally fine to not have the other resources. B has been a good level for her. We're finishing up the first subtraction section this week and loving the book.

Soaring Eagle
05-04-2009, 04:51 AM
I only used the discontinued series. We loved it and that's why I bought copies for my son. I didn't want to use the standard edition for K.