PDA

View Full Version : Summer curriculum?

Mama Rophe
04-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm wanting to work with the boys throughout the summer, but am wondering if there are any curriculums set up for something like this.

IslandMama
04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
I've seen summer workbooks... but we usually just continue what we were doing or start the next year's curriculum. We work all year long.

amanda1
04-23-2009, 01:22 PM
If you're up to it you could create your own unit study using library books. Another option if this is what you're looking for is the dollar store and some of the larger chain stores carry workbooks for younger children which typically focus on math, phonics, etc.

Teribear
04-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes there are workbook based "bridge" curricula that are designed to bridge from one grade to the next by keeping the child reviewing things and working on things during the summer. Any large bookstore will have them.

Mama Rophe
04-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Yes there are workbook based "bridge" curricula that are designed to bridge from one grade to the next by keeping the child reviewing things and working on things during the summer. Any large bookstore will have them.

Thank you! I will check into that!!

jenny_islander
04-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Personally, I would look into summer activities along with the bridge workbooks. I'm not sure how it is in other communities, but here, Parks & Rec has a full roster of summer programs for K-12. Many are short "camps" sponsored by local dance studios or gymnastics teachers or what have you. They're just a few weeks of classes designed to give kids and parents a sample of the activity so they can decide whether to sign up for the school year. There are also summer craft workshops and of course Circus Camp. Also our local Audubon chapter leads hikes every week, some of which are rated easy enough for young kids, and the museums have expanded hours for the tourists, plus weekly nature lectures for ages 3-5 and 5-10 at the visitor center (you get to hold eagle talons and crawl on bearskins), plus Salmon Camp, which teaches kids at different age levels about the salmon life cycle and the fisheries. And there's the public library's summer reading program too. I look at summer as a time to dip into a lot of different areas of study (and spend more time outside!).

Titus2Momof4
04-29-2009, 06:18 AM
I don't know if you're planning to homeschool or not. If you have been this year, I would just continue with whatever you've been doing and not worry about 'summer' curriculum. If you haven't, as Teri said there are lots of "bridge books" out there (just google summer bridge work and you will find plenty). Whether you plan to hs next year or not, it would be a good idea to look at what will be covered next year in Kindergarten or preK (whatever your oldest would be next year) and just develop something geared toward learning those things.

Titus2Momof4
04-29-2009, 06:20 AM
This looks like a neat site: http://www.summerbridgeactivities.com/

I plan to do summer bridge work with my girls, because I have seen what happens when we don't really "do" anything for a couple of months.

Mama Rophe
04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks.

I'm not currently homeschooling. Lightening is in preschool. We haven't fully decided if we are going to homeschool or not. I do know that whatever we do we want to teach them at home, either to suppliment their school curriculum or homeschool.

Titus2Momof4
04-29-2009, 08:35 AM
I see. I'd just look into the summer bridge books - take it easy, and enjoy the summer!! :) :D I won't bombard mine with schoolwork all summer, but will have them do just enough to keep their minds working- so I'd envision about an hour's worth of work a day, but probably not all at once--broken up, probably 30 in the morning, 30 in the afternoon, plus lots of good books to read!

Mama Rophe
04-29-2009, 10:17 AM
I totaly agree about not bombarding them with schoolwork. I like to let them learn through play mostly.