PDA

View Full Version : Pa. moms

jenn3514
04-22-2009, 05:54 PM
I have a friend who is going ot be homescholling her dd this year. She was looking at the requirements, and is kind of stuck on the part that states she has to provide proof that she and any other adults in the house have not been convicted of various crimes in the past 5 years. Where would she go to get that?? TIA for any help!

cro
04-23-2009, 01:22 PM
http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/Resources/Documents/Pdf/FillInForms/statepolice-bkgd.pdf

It's pretty easy - just print out the form, fill it in, and mail it (w/ a $10 money order).

HomeWithMyBabies
04-23-2009, 01:40 PM
This is news to me.

I was under the impression that the law requires only written certification in the affidavit, signed by the home education supervisor, not an actual completed background check.

HomeWithMyBabies
04-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Here is what the law says:

"a certification to be signed by the supervisor that the supervisor, all adults living in the home and persons having legal custody of a child or children in a home education program have not been convicted of the criminal offenses enumerated in subsection (e) of section 111 within five years immediately preceding the date of the affidavit."

It doesn't say you need a background check at your own expense. I can't imagine bothering with that when I send in my affidavit every single year.

Regarding what the affidavit must contain:

"and that the home education program shall comply with the provisions of this section and that the notarized affidavit shall be satisfactory evidence thereof."

To me that says if it's signed in front of a notary that I attest to XYZ, that is proof enough. Ds is still not compulsory age so I have not filed yet; I hope I'm not wrong on this.

Jenjardin
04-23-2009, 05:37 PM
You are not wrong, Amy. All you need to do is attest to it in your affidavit. Now if one lies in their affidavit, that is another story, but for most people, the above is good.

WanderingJuniper
04-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Yup, notarized affidavit is enough "proof."

PA homeschooling law can be nerve racking. :yes2

HomeWithMyBabies
04-23-2009, 06:27 PM
:phew That's a relief.

PA homeschooling law can be nerve racking. :yes2

:yes2 There is so much to learn and so many hoops.

jenn3514
04-24-2009, 04:38 AM
Thanks!! I will pass these on to her. I love helping people out to get started on the hs'ing route- but she is in Pa. and I am in NJ. A world of difference!