PDA

View Full Version : What your preschooler needs to know

Psyche
04-20-2009, 11:33 AM
is this book any good? Who decides what a preschooler needs to know anyway?

doubleblessings
04-20-2009, 11:39 AM
I have no idea about this book, but I have enjoyed using some of the activities from Slow and Steady Get Me Ready.

ronioli
04-24-2009, 06:32 PM
The Core Knowledge Foundation published that book and others in the series. You can read more about their mission here: http://coreknowledge. org/CK/about/index.htm.

I have the book and dd and I read the poems out of it sometimes. Today we planted seeds, so we also looked over the page in the book showing how seeds develop into plants. We got an ant farm recently and looked at the page showing how ants tunnel and work together. All stuff I could easily have accessed elsewhere. :shrug3

Ellen
07-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Just found this thread as I was looking into this book. Anyone else care to comment about it?

DH wants to see some homeschooling in action before he agrees to officially homeschool when DD reaches school age. I thought this might be the kind of thing that he would like for her. She loves to be read to, and I think she would enjoy having a variety of science and history topics to learn about. (She already hears tons of poems, songs and stories).

If you used it, did you use the activity books with it? I tend to prefer open-ended activities for DD rather than things with right/wrong answers, so I don't know how much I would like the activity books.

Lady Grey
07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
I checked it out at the library a few months ago and wasn't super impressed. I'm sure it is just fine, but it just didn't click with me.

I will add that in one of the chapters in the back had a little anti-hs talk. There was something along the lines of "sure you can do this stuff with your child at home, but it certainly is not a substitute for preschool......" Just thought I would mention that if your Dh is skeptical.

Ellen
07-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Good idea to check it out from the library first. I'll look for it. And thanks for the heads-up on the anti-hs stuff.