PDA

View Full Version : When they won't sleep

TuneMyHeart
04-18-2009, 07:59 AM
and you're just so tired you're ready to cry...

WDYD? I know I can't make someone sleep. And when it's the baby, it's not like I can just let her "play" while I try to rest; she wants to be held and bounced...

bananacake
04-18-2009, 08:07 AM
I let Bear whine & moan until he's ready to fall over. If he cries, I try to get him to lie down with me, though that rarely works. Or I put him in the stroller and take a walk.

:hugheart

believe365
04-18-2009, 08:07 AM
:hugheart :popcorn

I'm wondering this myself *sigh*

klpmommy
04-18-2009, 08:32 AM
pass to grumpy hubby so we can take turns getting rest. the swing or bouncey seat, driving in the car, bath

Kiwi Mama
04-20-2009, 12:55 AM
:hugheart I feel the same way today! I took dd for a sling ride - gave her some sleep, not me! And earlier today I lay in bed and nursed her - I think I slept a little then...

milkmommy
04-20-2009, 12:58 AM
Can hubby take a turn? a neighbor come help and let you get in a nap? will baby tollorate a swing our bouncy seat for a quick rest? Mommy needs are important also.

Deanna

musiclady
04-20-2009, 02:03 AM
don't really have any answers. just get her up for a while? that's what i did when they wouldn't sleep. no point in fighting a losing battle.

March
04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
I've been lucky in that while ds doesn't nap well, he has always done pretty well at night. However, I do remember being up for a few hours at a time in the early, early weeks, and all I remember doing is swaddling, rocking and singing. And singing. And rocking. But it allowed me to lay down a foundation of sleep associations. There are certain songs that can always set his little eyelids to drooping now.

Have you read the No Cry Sleep Solution? While I find Pantley to be a little idealistic--maybe her kids were just easier than mine is--she does give some great suggestions for transitioning a baby's sleep habits and, best of all, reassurance that whatever your baby is doing is probably normal.

Kiwi Mama
04-21-2009, 01:11 AM
March - about the No Cry Sleep Solution: the one thing I can't manage to do from that is "put her down sleepy" - doesn't work! How do you go with that? I am managing to build a variety of sleep associations though. And she knows the difference between day and night. But just can't manage to put her down sleepy...

TuneMyHeart
04-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Wow, am I the only one whose baby sleeps better at night when she naps well too? Anna Kate had two ten minute naps yesterday, and we couldn't get her down till almost 11 pm. She slept horribly! But she's teething and has a cold too.

I read the NCSS after Ellie was born, and the put to bed drowsy didn't work for me either. Both my kids have to be in a deep sleep to be able to put them down (and Ellie never transitioned while sleeping until she was 2.5; I had to hold her or she would definitely wake up). I'm glad I can lay down Anna Kate sometimes. :phew

March
04-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Dom has to be in a deep sleep to be put down, and he really doesn't let me put him down at all during the day.

Shannon, he actually used to sleep much better at night when he napped well, but lately that's been reversed all of a sudden. Pantley suggests, I think, that they actually should sleep better at night if they've napped well, though.