PDA

View Full Version : I may be biased... **About my 2YO**

Abibigail
04-14-2009, 01:43 PM
but DD1 is soooo smart. Really. At 2 she can draw circles, sing songs after hearing them ONCE, recognize some letters and numbers on sight, and draw something if she sees it drawn. (So, if there's a simple picture of a cupcake, she can draw what could really pass as a cupcake. Like, you'd recognize it as a cupcake without someone telling you.)

So, I'm thinking about introducing some preschool-type activities to her daily routine. What do you think about, maybe, some ABC pages (for coloring and tracing), and some hands-on adding and subtracting? Like, with peas or rocks or whatever?

I wouldn't make her do more than she can do, and I wouldn't expect her to sit still for it; but what about just introducing a tiny bit of structured learning in amongst the natural learning that she's already doing? :think

Leslie
04-14-2009, 01:54 PM
There's something special about the preschool years when a child has nothing to do but watch, experience, absorb, and wonder. I'd be hesitant about taking away any of that time for tangible skills that she can pick up later. She sounds like she's more observant - and may absorb more by just letting her interact with the world around her.

gentlemommy
04-14-2009, 02:11 PM

saturnfire16
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I agree with the pps. You see how much she is learning just by watching and doing and living. Why ruin that with structure? Let her keep learning in a way that is obviously working. :)

allisonintx
04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
add my vote to the above, and while you're at it, go pick up a copy of Better Late than Early by Moore

Abibigail
04-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I should clarify, I don't mean to say, "Ok, let's sit down and write our letters!" or anything like that. I meant, for example, having these things available to her. I shouldn't have called it part of her routine, because it wouldn't be; alphabet pages would be an option with coloring pages; adding and subtracting would be more of an afterthought while she plays with things. Does that make sense? I guess I'm wondering if it is a good idea to just show her, for example, while she's playing with her blocks and counting them (which she does), that Oh! If we take a couple away, we have three again!

Clear as mud? I don't mean to have a "preschool time," or anything like that. And I really wouldn't push anything; just have the options available. What do you think?

illinoismommy
04-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I think you can create a learning environment and have great learning materials, sure. :)

You'll be amazed if you keep watching her learn, I know I am!

Leslie
04-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I should clarify, I don't mean to say, "Ok, let's sit down and write our letters!" or anything like that. I meant, for example, having these things available to her. I shouldn't have called it part of her routine, because it wouldn't be; alphabet pages would be an option with coloring pages; adding and subtracting would be more of an afterthought while she plays with things.

I still say - not necessarily. I've read that kids who have no access to coloring books but only have blank paper draw more imaginatively than kids who color in coloring books. I think that coloring alphabet pages would be even less creative than coloring fun pictures.

saturnfire16
04-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I should clarify, I don't mean to say, "Ok, let's sit down and write our letters!" or anything like that. I meant, for example, having these things available to her. I shouldn't have called it part of her routine, because it wouldn't be; alphabet pages would be an option with coloring pages; adding and subtracting would be more of an afterthought while she plays with things. Does that make sense? I guess I'm wondering if it is a good idea to just show her, for example, while she's playing with her blocks and counting them (which she does), that Oh! If we take a couple away, we have three again!

Clear as mud? I don't mean to have a "preschool time," or anything like that. And I really wouldn't push anything; just have the options available. What do you think?

You might be interested in the unschooling concept of "strewing." http://sandradodd.com/strewing

Can'tTurnLeft
04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I should clarify, I don't mean to say, "Ok, let's sit down and write our letters!" or anything like that. I meant, for example, having these things available to her. I shouldn't have called it part of her routine, because it wouldn't be; alphabet pages would be an option with coloring pages; adding and subtracting would be more of an afterthought while she plays with things.

I still say - not necessarily. I've read that kids who have no access to coloring books but only have blank paper draw more imaginatively than kids who color in coloring books. I think that coloring alphabet pages would be even less creative than coloring fun pictures.

I agree with this. My DD sounds a LOT like yours but we have never given her any of that stuff before. Sometimes if we are outside we'll trace letters in the sand with our fingers, but nothing more. I think that at this age it is so cool to really encourage the creativity of free drawing and free play without much structure. Without providing that structure at all she has figured out on a blank piece of paper how to spell her name! It doesn't look "great" but it is there and I can read it. The only thing I've ever done is read her lots of books, point out letters, and draw them with our fingers in the sand. I've never given her coloring books or anything, just blank paper. I bet your daughter will be doing the same thing any time now. Creativity really does lead to amazing skills! I was a product of early education and public schools and I would have never believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes!

Abibigail
04-14-2009, 09:11 PM
That is really, really interesting. :think Great food for thought; thank you!

illinoismommy
04-15-2009, 06:00 AM
If you continue with letter recognition, she may write the letters on her own. I had a thread recently on writing, there was a blog linked there with a cute little writing center. You might like it.

tempus vernum
04-15-2009, 06:04 AM

:yes

gentlemommy
04-15-2009, 08:21 AM

CapeTownMommy
04-15-2009, 08:23 AM
:heart

IslandMama
04-15-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree with others... I would wait and let her discover on her own. Read lots of books, point things out... Observe nature, do art projects. But I don't think anything "planned" needs to be done at this point. Your example with the blocks...yes, counting seems fine, but subtraction or adding isn't anything that even a gifted 2 yo should have to think about. Enjoy this time with her and let her just play and have fun! Soon enough, she will start to ask for more, and at that point, use that opportunity for teaching. For example, I write my dd's name on the top of all of her drawings, and a few days ago she asked "how do I write my name? This is a picture of me." So I wrote it and underneath it, she copied it, totally legible! I was totally shocked! But again, no formal writing lessons, she just picked it up on her own. Let her be a 2 yo and play and discover... :heart

Abibigail
04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks, all! :heart

laurabelle1317
04-18-2009, 11:14 AM
I really enjoyed reading all this and it helped me too! I would also like to add to what children can pick up, learn, and understand on their own. I was amazed when my son, then 2.5 - 2.75, somewhere around there, learned a simple math concept all on his own. He was holding 2 one dollar bills at the store. He dropped one. I picked it up for him and handed it to him. Then he said "I had one dollar. Then you gave me one dollar and now I have two!" I said "Yes!" I used that natural learning time and we continued to talk about how one plus one equals two. And he was so naturally proud of the fact that one dollar and one dollar equals two dollars. It was fun for him and fun for me to see that occur naturally! And I'm sure it had more meaning for him than if I had tried to force him to learn/memorize it.

SamRose
04-18-2009, 11:29 AM
It sounds like Ur thinking like I used to (and occasionally still do :O), that if my kids R so bright and intelligent and "ahead" of what they R "expected" to be able to do compared to other their age, then I better have enuf of my sleeve to keep their extra strong brains busy! But really, just because they are capable of something, doesnt mean I need to make sure they do it right now. Cuz really, there is SOOO much to learn in this world, and the order in which the pick up certain things right now isnt that important. There R so many things that my kids have picked up on their own that I was just like WOW, I didnt even have to 'teach' them that! And then there've been things that my 2nd child didnt do til a little older than when my 1st had accomplished it, but she picked it up faster when she wanted to, from watching him, rather than just watching me (like he had). Im competitive by nature, and it didnt naturally occur to me to just let learning happen. Im so glad I stumbled across the idea of unschooling when my 1st was still just a toddler, cuz I know we'll all be better off letting their genius minds go where they may, not where I make them just cuz I know they could ;)
(ftr, it didnt help that my first LOVED letters, couldn't get enuf of them, and knew the names and sounds of all of them by his 2nd birthday. He set the bar high for mommy's expectations, lol).