PDA

View Full Version : Community Bible Study - Program for children (usually homeschooled)

WanderingJuniper
04-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Has anyone had their children attend the CBS program for children? I went with my then toddler and prek children for a few months until we had some stuff happen that made it too difficult for me to go. They were just starting the group in my area then and only had childcare not the children's program.

Now, things have changed for us and I can commit to going again as I enjoyed it but I am curious about how they approach the children's program. I would have two homeschooled children in the class and one preschooler. Is it enough to be our Bible plan for the year? Does it have a particular slant?

Any experiences?

mom2boys
04-12-2009, 07:38 PM
:popcorn
never heard of it! sound interesting, though!

kiloyd
04-13-2009, 04:58 AM
I would totally go! I don't have one here close enough. I also went when my children were 4 and under, but our group did not have older ages.

I would think the 5 yr old curriculum would be pretty basic but not sure about the 7 yr old.

I'll ask my mom for you, she's the Assistant Children's Director of her CBS. And that group goes through teens.

Laurlor
04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
I have a bunch of friends (homeschoolers) who do it and LOVE it. I've just never done it because we do AWANAS, but I've heard nothing but great things about the CBS program.

mwwr
04-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Mine did the preschool program in the mid-90s, and it was excellent.

kiloyd
04-16-2009, 04:53 AM
I"m sorry I havent' been back withyou. I did ask my mom and she said the kids study is on a 3 yr cycle. She also said you could look on communitybiblestudy.org and it may have it listed there.

I do remember when my oldest was 4 some of my friends in CBS that homeschooled had their kids in it and loved it. But the next year they couldn't get teachers for it. So I had to drop out. :(

WanderingJuniper
04-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the fedback! :yes

My husband wants us to really think about it. Basically he is concerned about the budget for the drive. It is in the same town as our congregation which is 30 -45 minutes depending on traffic. He's not sure we can expend the extra gas each week and it is on what is typically his day off. He wouldn't be able to go because they don't have a men's program yet. And, part of our reason for hsing is to keep our family together more with his odd schedule. We'll see how it goes come September when they start up again.

kiloyd
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM
Mine was always 10-15 min away. 30+ min is a lot. Can you get up and out the door early? Most start at about 9am.

Oh, if you want to go you need to sign up about now. They always have room for women but there is often a waiting list for children. I say contact them and sign up, you can always cancel in Sept if it does not work for you. And then the next in line for the children's program would get in, no big deal.

WanderingJuniper
04-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the tip. I might do that. 30 minutes isn't really anything time wise for my kiddos. Our congregation is in the same town so we already make a drive to that area once a week to be there at 9. I wish there were one closer but there isn't. I also belong to the homeschool group that is centered halfway between. I am hoping there will be some of the kids mine already know there. Ack, sometimes I hate not being able to plan ahead.

Titus2Momof4
04-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Sounds interesting, but there are none anywhere less than an hour from us. :(

Punkie
04-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I went about 3 years ago, and I really enjoyed it. I went to an evening class, and my kids stayed home with dh. Some homeschool mamas just started a new one near me and I was thinking about attending. I was planning on waiting until next fall, since my smallest is still not impressed with childcare ;)