PDA

View Full Version : Book - What Your Child Needs to Know When: According to the Bible & State

laurabelle1317
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Has anyone used this book: What Your Child Needs to Know When: According to the Bible, According to the State: with Evaluation Check Lists for Grades K-8

http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Child-Needs-Know/dp/0970181612/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3NH0M2KENUJZO&colid=DEBYM4B36IX5

What do you think about it?

jenn3514
04-03-2009, 02:14 PM
:cup

Leslie
04-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I had that book years ago and I think I actually did look it over with my first student for a couple of years. It may have been revised since then.

I didn't find it as necessary as I thought I would. If you're following a curriculum, then things will be covered, but not necessarily in the order listed in any book. And as far as skills a child develops, kids often have their own timetables regardless of what a checklist might say. It ended up being a way to double-check to make sure I wasn't missing anything, but it was more confirmation that we were on-track rather than real help.

ArmsOfLove
04-03-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm curious what it says the Bible says children should know at different grades :scratch

gentlemommy
04-03-2009, 06:09 PM

newday
04-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I haven't read the book - does it give state by state guidelines? Because our state has very liberal laws on what a child is required to know, or at least the testing that would show what a child knows.
I am sure each state is different.

Peaceful Meadows
04-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Here is a link (http://homeschoolinformation.com/whatyourchild.htm) to some excerpts. I didn't even hear about this book into this thread but it looks interesting. :yes I love, love, love Robin's Biblical Holidays book.

ETA:
This was taken from the above link.
Section III explains a new teaching approach (based on a combination of several effective approaches) called The Heart of Wisdom. The Heart of Wisdom teaching approach is centered around reading the Bible through in one year and the creation of a Bible portfolio.
I love the idea of the Bible being the main focus of our education. That is what we try to do. God is the center of our lives so His Word should be the center of all that we do. :yes

After reading the link, I don't think I would find this books useful to me personally because of how we homeschool but I think it would be a wonderful resource for many homeschoolers.