PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about ADHD

mama-hobbit
04-03-2009, 05:46 AM
For a little history, DSS was on Strattera from 6-8... He'd never been truly assesd, his old doc just said "ok" when asked if he may have ADHD and put him on it. It wasn't really monitored, just upped as he gained weight. DH says that at first it 'worked wonders' with his behavior and concentration, but as the years progressed and the dose went up we didn't see much difference on or off it and we eventually weaned him off it. Due to mom's history of med abuse, we really want to keep the prescription drugs to a minimum for the kids.

Our family counselor wants us to start looking at ADD/ADHD in regards to DSS 12 - he thinks that a lot of the little behavior "issues" are really having their source with ADD/ADHD (though what we're really counseling for is divorce/remarriage/mom's addictive behavior issues). He encouraged us to look into diet, supplements, alternative activities/teaching styles, etc. before jumping into meds. :rockon

So talk to me. Tell me where I should go to learn more about this. Give me some ideas to help him stay engaged in studies. Link me to good websites... I'm all ears!

:)

hbmamma
04-03-2009, 08:11 PM
We've found that the lowest dose has helped Em just enough so that we can work on OT and other therapies. We're still learning and we're not eager to keep her on the meds forever (neither is her DR :rockon)

I allow Em to get up frequently to move before helping her to engage in her studies...

I want to come back to this.... just not at 11:30pm :yawn