PDA

View Full Version : Alarmist anti-cosleeping news story -- updated with link to video

jewelmcjem
03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I posted a prayer request last week for a family who lost their baby due to "death by overlay". Dh was the photog on the news story, so of course we watched when it aired tonight. He had told me that he thought it would be balanced and wouldn't be fear-mongering.

He. was. so. wrong.

It was totally "if you sleep with your child, it is very likely you will kill them!" They had a coroner from Oakland County who actually quoted a figure of 85% of all infant deaths are death by overlay!!!! That is ridiculous. That would mean that all infant deaths from every other conceivable reason would only make up 15% of the total infant deaths. That cannot possibly be what he was trying to say! [correction -- he actually said 80-85% of infant deaths happen outside the crib. A very misleadnig statment, that doesn't mean they were all overlay. I don't know if he meant 80-85% of all sleeping deaths or all infant deaths.]
It is hard to refute -- the lady did sleep with her baby and did overlay her. BUT she wasn't actually purposefully co-sleeping. She had taken the baby from the bassinette (6 wks old) and had fallen asleep breastfeeding her. But they were careful to say that it could happen whether you accidentally fall asleep with your child or sleep with them on purpose. Personally, I'm wondering if you don't regularly co-sleep, you wouldn't have the same bond as a mama who co-sleeps, the bond that wakes you before you lay on them, would you?

It's not on their website yet, but they usually don't post 11:00 stories until midnight or so. I am so mad. I am going to need help crafting a not-irrationally-irate sounding email to send to Dr. Fred McGeorge tomorrow!!! The news site is www.clickondetroit.com if you want to check tomorrow to see if it's there (I'll edit if it is or isn't).

The video is here (http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/19027292/).

ETA: Corrected 80-85% and added link to video

Hermana Linda
04-01-2009, 06:57 PM
:mad :cry

brandi
04-01-2009, 07:01 PM
didn't watch the clip yet, but from what you've explained, :mad

mummy2boys
04-01-2009, 07:07 PM
:cry Unfortunatetly we also know someone who did this. My heart breaks for this mama and her family :pray4

Paige
04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
That is really sad :(

I do feel that intentional, purposeful cosleeping really makes a difference. If it is a last resort because you are exhausted then the situation isn't ideal.

Paige
04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Just watched the whole video. That dr. is saying that he gets 3-4 of these deaths per month in his county? What? So he's getting 20-50 cases a year? I didn't think this was that prevalent at all even with extraneous circumstances (drinking, blankets, etc.)

Teacher Mom
04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
:mad

I hate when the media "scares" people like this.

AppleSauceCookies
05-25-2009, 12:45 PM
:mad

jewelmcjem
05-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Just watched the whole video. That dr. is saying that he gets 3-4 of these deaths per month in his county? What? So he's getting 20-50 cases a year? I didn't think this was that prevalent at all even with extraneous circumstances (drinking, blankets, etc.)

I know! NONE of his numbers make any statistical sense at all, it's like he just made something up that sounded scary, like his 80-85% of all deaths occur outside the crib statement. He doesn't say *sleeping* deaths, just deaths. Well, duh, most deaths DON'T happen in the crib. So that number really has absolutely nothing to do with overlay deaths.

milkmommy
05-27-2009, 11:06 AM
well its true overlay deaths by parents don't occur in a crib.. but this whole article sounds off and full of fear. :( for the family.

Deanna