PDA

View Full Version : aside from night weaning . . .

filmgirl2911
03-13-2009, 06:31 PM
. . . is there anything I can do to help my one-year-old stay asleep for more than one hour at a time??? :shrug

Smee has never been a great sleeper - I can count on one hand the number of three- or four-hour sleep stretches she's had since we brought her home :yes Now, I realize that at some point she will be 14 and no longer waking to nurse ever hour :giggle but until then, does anyone have any ideas on how to help a sleep-challenged baby girl sleep for longer periods of time at night. Seriously, she wakes up just about every hour on the hour; she nurses back to sleep pretty well and I'm not really wanting to night wean at the moment . . . but I'd also LOVE to get some sleep that lasts more than an hour :yawn :yawn Oh, and sometimes, she will stay latched on and suckle and it is almost crazy impossible to break her latch and move away - she chases me down :shifty I'm a SAHM, so she shouldn't need to reconnect, so I don't get the hourly nursing sessions and the long latches (she didn't do long latches as an infant :scratch )

She doesn't have food allergies / sensitivities. Is this just a habit that needs to be addressed somehow :shrug

Anyone have any ideas ???

filmgirl2911
03-14-2009, 04:16 AM
anyone???

:bump

AmyDoll
03-14-2009, 05:15 AM
One year olds are champion night nursers. They have fabulous dreams about walking & exploring :giggle & then want to reconnect with mom.

:hugheart You can try a nice high protein snack before bed to see if she sleeps longer.
Really, though, it's a stage :hugheart

jgenie
03-25-2009, 07:07 PM
No answers for you, but wanted to offer :hug2. I'm going through the same thing with DS (14 months). How I dream of sleeping for longer stretches - even 4 hours would be heaven!

shaunamama
03-26-2009, 06:55 AM
I just started reading a book called "The no cry sleep solution" written by a co-sleeping mom. I don't know if her methods work yet, but it might be worth checking out! Blessings to you.

swimming with sharks
03-26-2009, 08:17 AM
You sound like you don't want to night wean and I just want to encourage you that just because someone night weans DOES NOT mean that their LO will stop night waking. Has she gotten her 12 mth molars yet? It could be her teeth... :hugheart :yawn

filmgirl2911
03-26-2009, 10:31 AM
You sound like you don't want to night wean and I just want to encourage you that just because someone night weans DOES NOT mean that their LO will stop night waking. Has she gotten her 12 mth molars yet? It could be her teeth... :hugheart :yawn

I believe she is working on those darn 12 mth molars :yes2 And now that I think about that - do you think that might be why she tends to whimper / cry whenever she wakes up?

Does anyone know what it is about teething that makes babies want to nurse more? Is it the sucking motion? Is it the comfort of mama? :scratch

Vicki_T
03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
I found that white noise really helped. We didn't start using it until 12 months so I was surprised that it worked at all, but it actually seemed to make a big difference.

kwisie
03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
I believe she is working on those darn 12 mth molars :yes2 And now that I think about that - do you think that might be why she tends to whimper / cry whenever she wakes up?

:yes2 That's exactly how DD2 is every time new teeth are coming in.

swimming with sharks
03-26-2009, 05:46 PM
the comfort, the pressure on their gums, the warm milk filling their belly, it's distracting from the pain. Try hylands teething tablets, we do motrin or tylenol when it's bad...with Budge we do two hours wakings in the middle of the night when it's really bad and then he goes back to sleeping fairly well. :hugheart My dd slept poorly for most of her life (3 yrs 8 mths) and I promise you....they really do start sleeping eventually. :hugheart :hugheart

filmgirl2911
03-26-2009, 05:49 PM
with Budge we do two hours wakings in the middle of the night when it's really bad and then he goes back to sleeping fairly well. :hugheart My dd slept poorly for most of her life (3 yrs 8 mths) and I promise you....they really do start sleeping eventually. :hugheart :hugheart

:hugheart and thank you for the encouragement :yes :heart

Emerald Orchid
03-26-2009, 05:51 PM
12 month old molars are the worst! I know Z was a terrible sleeper when his came through.

I know some people don't like the NCSS, but I found it pretty useful (while keeping a flexible attitude) and have had good results (as long as ds is healthy and not teething).

Hang in there! :hug

Blue-EyedLady
03-26-2009, 06:38 PM
I've heard that BM is a natural analgesic for teething. At least that's what I tell myself every hour, all night long with my 15 mo... :shifty