PDA

View Full Version : 12 Infant Prefolds = 8 Regular Prefolds! (A tutorial)

Mama Bird
03-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Smiley has outgrown his 12 infant prefolds. But they are in excellent shape. I decided to see if I could modify them in any way to make them the length as my premium prefolds, and I found a way! It takes only a few minutes, and 12 infant prefolds become 8 prefolds the same length as premiums. These instructions are for those of us who don't have a serger.

Step 1: Cut an infant prefold in half. Don't stress about precision. They're diapers.
Step 2: Cut the serged edge of a whole infant prefold off of one end. Pick the lint out of the corners you just opened up.
Step 3: Place the half prefold on the whole prefold with the serged edge cut off.
Step 4: Sew a close zigzag down the cut ends, holding them together.
Step 5: Open out the new longer diaper with the seam facing up. Fold the seam to one side or the other, and zigzag again, making the seam stay flat along the diaper.

There you go. They're now the same length and you get to keep using them. You'll end up with 8 because 8 diapers stay whole and 4 get cut in half.

Pics to come, if they turned out okay.

I've got the sewn side against Smiley right now, and because it is flat, it doesn't seem to be bothering him a bit. :no

2sunshines
03-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I'd love to see pics. :heart

Do you make the infants prefolds as wide as the premiums too?  Or just as long? :think

Mama Bird
03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Sure. I'll get the pics uploaded as soon as I can.

They aren't quite as wide, but definitely as long. Because my infants are 4x6x4, I usually use a doubler with them if he's going to wear them more than a couple of hours, although he wore one of the modified dipes with no doubler with a wool cover last night to bed and didn't leak last night.

cro
03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
How resourceful! Now we just need a way to widen them. I can barely snappi an infant pf on my chunky 3mo.

2sunshines
03-18-2009, 05:25 AM
Did you end up taking pics? :shifty I'd love to see them. :heart

Yuliana
03-18-2009, 05:32 AM
:popcorn

crunchymum
03-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Did you end up taking pics? :shifty I'd love to see them. :heart

:popcorn

Mama Bird
03-19-2009, 04:47 AM
I did take pics, but I have a problem. They didn't wash well, and really frayed at the seams. I need to think of a better way to sew them together, but my little machine had problems handling this. I'll chat with my mom and see if she has any brilliant ideas. :scratch