PDA

View Full Version : Diaper weaning at night in a family bed?

rebecuna
02-19-2009, 12:55 PM
How do you do that? He's in underpants all the time (including naps) except at night. I tried diaper free one night and woke up soaked at 4:30 am... not fun. Also, I don't have anything water proof on our mattress-- correction, I have a plastic trash bag with a towel over it under our mattress pad, but it's really crinkly, and I'm not sure the noise is worth it. I don't know if I can get a real waterproof sheet or mattress pad or anything where I live, and only have something pretty small from CD days. We also have never tried getting him to go potty when he wakes up at night... I'm working on gentle night weaning right now, and really don't want him to fully wake up like I think he would if I put him on the potty. Most days he wakes up dry or with just one pee in his diaper, it seems. He usually holds his big morning pee for 10-20 minutes after he wakes up, even if he's out of bed.

Suggestions?

Hermana Linda
02-19-2009, 10:23 PM
I think I would leave him in his diaper until he's consistantly waking up dry. Also, I would get something that is really waterproof and not noisy for him to sleep on. :yes I used a washable blue chuck, but I found them at a thrift shop and I can't tell you how to find them.

sweetpeasmommy
02-19-2009, 10:37 PM
:shrug Mine has been PT for a year and I am so not waking him up at night. He has at times been dry 90% of the time but lately he is almost always wet. I think due to some bowel issues he has had lately. It will happen, I'm not pushing it.

Rabbit
02-19-2009, 10:39 PM
We, too, left Samantha in diapers until she was consistently waking up dry. Simon takes naps with no diaper now, and he isn't yet potty trained. He's still not dry at any other time.

newday
02-20-2009, 07:55 AM
I take my 16 mo. old pee two times in the night. Sometimes he fusses a touch and I take him and sometimes I get up to go myself and take him. I don't put him on the potty because he would flip out (cold and all) I hold him over the tub and just wash out in the morning.
We would take my now 6 year old daughter potty before we went to bed and when she kept waking up dry we finally switched over to undies at night. Now we don't take her every night, but we still do sometimes depending on the day she has had (how tired she is and so how deeply she will sleep) and how much she has been drinking. I think it can take a long time for little ones to be bed/undies ready. And often it is just as sad for them to wake up in a puddle as it is for you... I would wait until he wakes up consistently dry before moving on.