PDA

View Full Version : The Sleep Sense Program

Emerald Orchid
01-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Has anyone read this book or done the program?

http://www.sleepsense.net/

Soliloquy
01-27-2009, 06:54 PM
I did find this under the philosophy link
A little note about the "crying" question: Since people always ask me about whether my program involces "crying it out," I think it's somthing that deserves to be addressed here.

Crying is your child's way of protesting change, and you can expect that making changes to their sleep habits will result in some protest. That's why I'm always sure to tell parents that my program will most likely involve at least some amount of protest on the child's part.

Please understand that I will never ask you to your child to cry alone, nor will I ask you to ignore their cries. The reason that "The Sleep Sense Program" is so effective is that is lets you develop a plan that you feel comfortable with, based on what you know about your child.

So, it sounds like you will hold and comfort your crying child while sticking w/ a bedtime routine. That's my guess. NCSS or NCSS for toddlers (forgot to check ages in your siggy) might be better. :shrug

ArmsOfLove
01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I would not be able to recommend this A little note about the "crying" question: Since people always ask me about whether my program involces "crying it out," I think it's somthing that deserves to be addressed here.

Crying is your child's way of protesting change, and you can expect that making changes to their sleep habits will result in some protest. That's why I'm always sure to tell parents that my program will most likely involve at least some amount of protest on the child's part.

Please understand that I will never ask you to your child to cry alone, nor will I ask you to ignore their cries. The reason that "The Sleep Sense Program" is so effective is that is lets you develop a plan that you feel comfortable with, based on what you know about your child.from her philosophy page

Soliloquy
01-27-2009, 06:58 PM
:giggle Crystal, we both found the same red flag

Calliope
01-27-2009, 07:03 PM
In desperation one night, I signed up to get the e-mails. :bag Honestly, it hasn't been anything I haven't heard before - bedtime routines, not nursing to sleep, learning to "self soothe", etc. :shrug I'm not buying it because it just sounds like more of this "quick fix guaranteed!" stuff. There are no quick fixes. :no Oh, and she sends these CHEESY e-mails that are supposed sound like she wrote it just for you. Um, whatever.

Here's what came at the end of her first e-mail about CIO:

P.S. Oh, something people always ask me is whether I recommend
the "Cry-It-Out" method, which involves leaving your child
to cry until He falls asleep.

No, I don't! I'm not going to guarantee that your child will
never cry at bedtime, but I'm CERTAINLY not going to ask
you to abandon your howling child alone in their bed, either!

I'll have more to say about this in a future e-mail... Gotta
run!

:rolleyes

Truth be told, I think my kid could make even the most die hard sleep trainer cry "uncle". :shifty

Soliloquy
01-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a scam aimed at sleep-deprived parents. the NCSS is probably at your library. :tu

Calliope
01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a scam aimed at sleep-deprived parents. the NCSS is probably at your library. :tu

Yeah, it's almost $50. The night I was desperate, I would have totally bought the thing if it had been cheaper. :blush

Emerald Orchid
01-27-2009, 07:33 PM
I have the NCSS and really liked it, although it hasn't solved all sleep "tendencies" in this household, although it's not that big of an issue for me most nights.

My SIL started reading the Sleep Sense Program and I had never heard of it. I offered to lend her the NCSS before and after her ds was born, but she doens't like my recommendations on many things. :rolleyes

Emerald Orchid
01-29-2009, 11:17 AM
My SIL sent the ebook today and I read it quickly. I has most of what the NCSS has about routine, habits, etc. PLUS the Ferber method of 5-10-15 minutes CIO. So basically, it's controlled CIO + routines. :no2 Even my SIL (who doesn't mind mild CIO) was hoping for better than that.

The good thing is that now she wants to read NCSS. :tu

Calliope
01-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Honestly, there is no magic bullet. I have stopped looking for it. :/

Emerald Orchid
01-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Today I'm looking for that magic bullet. :yes2 Zac woke up, what, 10 times last night? :hissyfit At one of his wakings, I just sat in the rocking chair with him, crying with him, praying to God I could deal this extreme nightwaking thing. :cry Now all I want to do is sleep, I've been crying on and off and I'm super impatient. Thank God days like this are rare. :(

Calliope
01-29-2009, 11:54 AM
:hugheart ITU. I really wish there was a magic bullet. I do. But I also find that my attitude toward my kid is crummy when I am looking for one. :(

If it makes you feel any better, I have been using the Pantley Pull-off to try and decrease our nighttime nursings. I replaced it with putting him on my chest and bouncing. So, yeah, he nurses less at night, but now, instead of waking and rooting for a nipple, he tries to climb on top of me so I will bounce him. Not really an improvement! I got so tired of it last night that I actually shook him off and put him on a boob on purpose. So much for that. :/

Hope tonight is better for you.