PDA

View Full Version : Bed safety

KatieMae
01-25-2009, 04:42 PM
We'll be buying a new bed in the next few months (a king size - finally! :jump ) and I'm concerned about a bedframe for it.

I'm not interested in having the bed on the floor.

Our current bed is raised up on a platform frame - it has no headboard or footboard; the top of the mattress is pressed directly against the wall. We got that bed frame free from my parents. So, the problem now is that to buy a similarly-styled king size platform frame is mucho dinero, but I see several options at Ikea that are much less costly... but they have a headboard, which makes me nervous.

Is there anything we can do to make a bed w/ a headboard a safe place for tiny ones to sleep? :think

Mama Bird
01-25-2009, 04:48 PM
That's our only option, is our bed with a headboard. We have about a bazillion pillows on our bed. We stuff them between the mattress and the headboard to keep him safe.

He's never, ever had a problem with it. (knock on wood!) He snuggles down about breast level anyway. :giggle

erh384
01-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I guess it'd come down to how tightly the mattress would be pressed up against the head/footer :shrug If there was a little space but it was tight I'd feel safe with a tightly rolled blanket in that space.

blessedwithboys
01-25-2009, 05:16 PM
We have a plain adjustable metal frame under our king size bed, with no headboard attached so it's really snug against the wall. It looks fine- we have a bed skirt that hides the plain frame. The frame only cost $30 at Sam's Club, and I've seen them very similarly priced at other stores.

Katigre
01-25-2009, 06:07 PM
As long as there's not a gap between the mattress and headboard I wouldn't worry about it. If there is a gap then roll up towels and put then in the crevice tightly until there's no more gap.

pastelsummer
01-25-2009, 06:18 PM
we use cement blocks and a piece of plywood! it is how my parents did thiers and how we did ours too

knitlove
01-26-2009, 09:06 AM
this http://www. ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99849777 is the frame we have on our king, we have a mattress form The Original Mattress Factory, if we tuck the blankets in at the foot it pushed the mattress up enough so that there i no gap at the top.