PDA

View Full Version : Our 1st House!

greendelight
01-12-2009, 07:50 AM
So, we'll be closing in about a week on our 1st house. I'm equal parts excited and scared!

The house has been empty for about 6 mos. so we are having it professionally sprayed a week or two prior to our moving in. After we do this, is there any thing natural that I can put in my cabinets, under my sink, etc. to keep any roaches away?

Also, the house has all hardwood floors. Pine in the living room and oak or pecan (we're not sure which it is) in the rest of the house. Well, except for the kitchen and bathrooms which have tile. Anyway, how do I clean my floors? What should I be cautious of so as not to scratch them? Will my vacuum scratch them?

I'll probably be back with more questions. Any and all help/advice is much appreciated! :heart

Blue Aurora
01-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Oh I want to know about wood floors too. The house we're buying has all wood floors and they're so pretty but I don't know what to do with them. :giggle

Drew
01-12-2009, 08:15 AM
:congrats Moving into your first house is exciting and scary. :yes

I use my vacuum on the bare floor setting for day to day cleaning of my hardwoods and then clean them once a month with Method's Good for Wood (smells so yummy). Use area rugs in seating areas to minimize/prevent scratching from chairs being moved. You can also get felt pads for the bottoms of chair/table legs (that don't sit on rugs) to prevent them from scratching the floors. I would also be careful about wearing high heeled shoes on the wood. Depending on how people walk the heel can leave dents in softer woods. Ask me how I know. :shifty

Overall hardwood floors are really pretty easy to care for and you will love them. :yes

I don't have any suggestion regarding roaches as they've never been an issue for us. Is there a specific reason that leads you to believe roaches are going to be a problem?

greendelight
01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I will definitely check out the Method product. I like things that smell good and not cleaner-ish. There are no scratches or dents in the wood (and it's 50+ years old...and original flooring), and I don't think she spent any time sanding and polishing. Hopefully, it's not too soft. Do you thing rolly chairs in the dining room are a bad idea?

I don't have any suggestion regarding roaches as they've never been an issue for us. Is there a specific reason that leads you to believe roaches are going to be a problem?

Just that we live in Mississippi. Roaches are always a concern. Ick.

MomtoJGJ
01-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Where in MS do you live?? I'm from MS :)

Epieikeia
01-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I have oak in my house--I use Method as well--but you can also use vinegar & water as well (though that requires hands and knees...which I do every so often for the wood & always for my other floors).

You can get Method at Target....it does smell very good! :heart

Julianne
01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Congratulations on the house! Rolling chairs can damage hardwood floors. Of course, so can scraping non-rolling chairs across the floor. Maybe you can get a floor protector mat for the rolling chair area. Or put the felt pads on non-rolling chairs as a PP suggested. I love wood floors! So lovely, and they're quite easy to care for. A good old-fashioned broom'll do the trick for everyday cleaning.

Drew
01-13-2009, 06:26 AM
I will definitely check out the Method product. I like things that smell good and not cleaner-ish. There are no scratches or dents in the wood (and it's 50+ years old...and original flooring), and I don't think she spent any time sanding and polishing. Hopefully, it's not too soft. Do you thing rolly chairs in the dining room are a bad idea?

:jawdrop That's pretty amazing that the floor is that old and doesn't have any scratches. Personally I wouldn't use rolling chairs on hardwood. The reason being is I have a husband who tends to flop down more than sit and I could definitely see that causing damage.

Just that we live in Mississippi. Roaches are always a concern. Ick.

Ah, a regional thing.