PDA

View Full Version : Your fav one-size pockets...help me out!

ReedleBeetle
01-11-2009, 09:56 PM
Ok...I am working on building my stash for our new little baby. With tax season coming and Christmas money in hand, I would like to try and finish the bulk of it up. I would love to know what you love and the sites you love too!

I currently have 9 Bum Genius 3.0s and 2 Breathable Haute Pockets.

I am looking at:
Happy Heini's one size snaps or aplix
Mommy's Touch One size snaps or aplix
Wonder Roos one size snaps
WAHMies one size snaps or hooks
Bumwear one size snaps
Mother's Eve (having trouble finding though)
and there was at elast one other one I can't think of right now...

so....what do *YOU* like? We need to stick with onesize as much as possible due to budget and DH and he only wants me to buy pockets...or maybe all in ones or twos.

2sunshines
01-12-2009, 05:59 AM
My fave one size pocket is bum genius. I tried the haute and wasn't impressed with the fit on my babe. I haven't tried the other ones though...

monkeylicious
01-12-2009, 06:40 AM
i had a couple bum genious 2.0 that i liked - until the elastic gave out (but they were used when i bought them)
i had a majority of haute pockets that i liked - but wing droop was an issue - didn't affect function - just bothered me
i had just 2 bumwear - that were my favorites - less issue with wicking at the legs especially with a onesie

ViolaMum
01-12-2009, 06:45 AM
I have BG 3.0's and the new Mommy's Touch. I think I prefer the fit of the Mommy's Touch - not as bulky.

schmamy
01-12-2009, 09:09 AM
The only one-size pockets I've tried are BG and Haute Pockets. I love my BGs, but the laundry tab has worn out (the aplix doesn't stick to it anymore) so I tried the Haute Pockets because I wanted a snap one-size. I really don't like the HPs. They tend to leak more, and the fit is just sort of odd on my skinny DS. Plus I don't like how the fleece lining tends to stick out at the top in front, and I have to be careful about readjusting.

I would not buy HPs again, but will definitely continue using BGs, aplix issues and all.

ReedleBeetle
01-12-2009, 12:17 PM
I have BG 3.0's and the new Mommy's Touch. I think I prefer the fit of the Mommy's Touch - not as bulky.

I didn't know if they would be less bulky or not...I love the Antonio Bandera print!

mellymommy
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I LOVE the Blueberry one-size minkee dipes. They are my absolute favorite, but they are expensive. I have 3, 2 I bought used and one was a gift when Bear was born. If I have the money I would ONLY have Blueberry one-size minkee pockets or the Swaddlebees one-size eco-nappi.
:heart

ReedleBeetle
01-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Do you prefer the touch tape or the snaps?

ReedleBeetle
01-12-2009, 12:42 PM
I LOVE the Blueberry one-size minkee dipes. They are my absolute favorite, but they are expensive. I have 3, 2 I bought used and one was a gift when Bear was born. If I have the money I would ONLY have Blueberry one-size minkee pockets or the Swaddlebees one-size eco-nappi.

We don't have the money for that....unfortunately.

monkeylicious
01-12-2009, 02:38 PM

Do you prefer the touch tape or the snaps?

don't know if you wanted other opinions :shrug :O but... velcro seems easier to get a snug fit easily but once you know which snaps work, snaps are easy to get a good fit with. dh prefered velcro - but then dd figured it out :yes2 and then she had to have something covering her dipe - or it was off. i could do my snaps pretty quickly and even with different dipes. also with my blueberry dipes the velcro wash tabs didn't always hold - so they would snag on other items, and the hook part would collect lint/hair... just some of the things to think about.

mellifera
01-12-2009, 03:32 PM
I like the Happy Heinys with velcro--they seem like they are a little more generous in fit than the Bum Genius--maybe they will fit ds longer? I have only been using them for about a week, so I'm not sure how well they hold up.

ReedleBeetle
01-12-2009, 10:49 PM
I think that *I* will prefer snaps and *DH* will prefer velcro. He has already said he does. :lol I think snaps will be harder for our kids to undo. Plus the washing aspect.

On the mommy's touch diapers....I like the way the velcro looks better....but I think I will prefer the function of the snaps. :shrug

2sunshines
01-13-2009, 07:27 AM
I am most definitely a snap over aplix girl BUT the one downside to snaps is that you can't get as adjustable of a fit. :( So I always find myself struggling over which one to go with because of that one factor.

sprout
01-13-2009, 08:53 PM
favorite diaper by far is the fuzzi bunz. we do those and kissaluv's. both are on baby number two and holding up great.

Velcro does not work for us. won't stay on due to baby hands. the snaps are the way to go. also, none of the babies ever liked the kind of covers that you pull on. always made them fussy.

hth!

Naked Camper
01-13-2009, 09:08 PM
I really despise velcro :yes2 It wears out over time and then they're no good anymore. If it were me - I'd buy just a few for infancy and then have FB size mediums which will last most, if not all of the CD career. :shifty

I don't like the hautie pockets on DS :no We have one, but the rise is not long enough even in a medium. He gets a plumber crack in them :giggle

ReedleBeetle
01-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Hmmm.....so maybe I made a mistake in how I started my stash. :nails Going to check out Fuzzi Bunz.

2sunshines
01-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Hmmm.....so maybe I made a mistake in how I started my stash. :nails Going to check out Fuzzi Bunz.

It's so hard to know and honestly you aren't going to know for sure until you get started. Everyone has different preferences and loves and dislikes. In time, you'll figure out what you love and what works best for you and baby too. :heart

Naked Camper
01-14-2009, 08:02 AM
I take back what i said about the hautie pockets - it wasn't the diaper I was thinking of. The one with the short rise is our pocket change diaper - not a one-size diaper. My hautie pocket was bright and fun, but I ruined it by using some bleach on it to get rid of the stink. I had to throw it away (with a few others) because they were leaking and were no longer fixable. :( AKA - NEVER use bleach on PUL diapers :no :wink

Naked Camper
01-14-2009, 08:03 AM
a friend of mine who owns a clot diaper store says that the BG 3.0 is their #1 seller in diapers - if that helps :shrug

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 11:39 AM
a friend of mine who owns a clot diaper store says that the BG 3.0 is their #1 seller in diapers - if that helps :shrug

Yes, we heard fab reviews on it. I heard FuzziBunz is supposed to come out with a one-sized dipe too....looking forward to that if it is true!

Naked Camper
01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
that'd be cool. I'd love a FB one size - but honestly, I make my own b/c I like different things about different dipes - so I've combined them :mrgreen

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
that'd be cool. I'd love a FB one size - but honestly, I make my own b/c I like different things about different dipes - so I've combined them :mrgreen

That cool! I assume they aren't one size?

joystrength
01-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I love pocket change, the old style.

tinyheaths
01-14-2009, 12:19 PM
My fave is BumGenious but it the only one sized pocket I have used. I like fuzzi bunz but you have to buy all the different sizes which is too expensive for us. I have enough BGs for dd2 and the new baby for when we are out. At home we use prefolds.

puah
01-14-2009, 12:53 PM
all my toddlers have figured out velcro so we greatly prefer snaps here, keeping a few velcro for the nursery or grandparents to change (and we use in the rotation too). i like the old style HP, haven't tried the new ones. i got some Happy Heinies last month and love those so far (both snap and velcro). my BG 2.0 are fine, but the velcro does wear a lot more than snaps.

you may find reviews at diaperpin.com helpful too!

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
all my toddlers have figured out velcro so we greatly prefer snaps here, keeping a few velcro for the nursery or grandparents to change (and we use in the rotation too). i like the old style HP, haven't tried the new ones. i got some Happy Heinies last month and love those so far (both snap and velcro). my BG 2.0 are fine, but the velcro does wear a lot more than snaps.

you may find reviews at diaperpin.com helpful too!

Thanks! I think I will greatly prefer snaps as well. I have been checking diaperpin.com also!

Naked Camper
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM

That cool! I assume they aren't one size?

I have not attempted to make them one size, but it wouldn't be hard :think I like that my bg are 1size - but I really don't like the velcro. I like snaps :yes I love that my pocket change diapers have the pass through pocket so I don't have to touch the inserts in the middle when it comes time to wash diapers. And I love the fit of my FB. So....I have FB shaped diapers with the pass through pocket. :wink I've not had a problem with them leaking either :wink :tu To make them OS, all I'd need to do is make the rise longer and make sure they are wide enough in the crotch. Maybe an extra snap or two for a newborn's tiny waist. :think Anyways, enough hijacking your thread :wink :O

sprout
01-14-2009, 07:58 PM
one could easily use the entire family finances trying to figure out the best diaper system. For me, when I chose, I took a step back and thought about the reality of it all...it is a diaper. Most are pretty similar and you just need to decide what you want...fitted, pocket, all in one. then, just go with what you like. I think I ended up buying a set b/c is was cheaper.

the one size are much more bulky i think.

basically, I like the kissaluvs because they are thick and hold well. They make up most of my diapers. When we go out on trips, I use the fuzzi's. I either but a hemp or a cloth insert in (usually two) or a chinese prefold. I have this and that with what I stuff with. A few hemps are nice b/c they are super absorbant, but pricey, so I only have a few. The rest I have are a few nb prefolds and a few plain ol' terry inserts.

i think i currently have about 24 kissaluvs (fitted) and am just shy of a dozen fuzzis. that keeps us going just fine.

my fuzzis also serve as my diaper coves most days.

I do have a few wool covers, but again, pricey, have to handwash...which, is just too much work for me.

on most days, the little bum is naked. when needed I grab a kissaluv and a fuzzi.

also, when trying to save money you can usually skip the nb size (won't be in them long) and just go with size one. also, don't get fuzzis until they are more mobile. little ones go through diapers so quick you won't need to stuff and worry about it.

so, in a nut shell...that is us.

oh, I don't do special laundry detergent or anything. just plain ol' baking soda with a vinegar rinse. line dry.

Eesti
01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
My friend at www. kiddiewinklesdesigns .com just came out w/a one size w/front snaps. I saw one the other day and liked the size of it...the rise seemed longer than BG

She does super cute embroidery too. :)

sprout
01-14-2009, 08:01 PM
forgot to add...i don't buy wipes either....for me it is just throwing away money. I have a stash of nb wash cloths I picked up at the dollar store. I run warm water over them, wipe, throw in the bucket with the old diapers for the wash. wash with dipes, line dry.

saved us a ton in expense there too....no fancy wipe solution for us...just plain ol' well water.

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Hmmmm....DH wants pockets or AIOs. Period. I have a half dozen infant prefolds that he will "let" me use because we already have them He absolutely will not let me buy more. I don't really want AIOs due to drying/cleaning aspects (I just am not sure they get as clean) and I really like the idea of pockets....so pockets it is. I really like the idea of buying med. FBs and doing something else for the littler baby stage....but then we are looking at more money, more money. He won't be happy about that either. So...with what pockets I have and prefolds...I have 17 diapers. I *know* I need more for a new baby...but man am I in a quandry now! Anyone have any small FB to sell? :shifty

Naked Camper
01-14-2009, 08:18 PM
My friend at www. kiddiewinklesdesigns .com just came out w/a one size w/front snaps. I saw one the other day and liked the size of it...the rise seemed longer than BG

She does super cute embroidery too. :)

oh my goodness - her shoes on that site are TOOO cute. I may have to buy some :shifty The brown ones with the owls.

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh, we also had plans to just use wash clothes also and wash with our dipes.

sprout
01-14-2009, 08:25 PM
you know what? just go with the med pockets, stuff a bit more...throw that cute little girl into a dress and don't worry about it....she will be fine. and, it will save you a big expense. I like fitted for nb because there is no stuffing...easy peezy....but, pockets will be just fine.

I wonder why your dh likes pockets so much? they are more expensive than fitteds and for my dh....fitteds are easier to use.

anyway, relax...they are diapers! you just can't mess that up! :hugheart

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
you know what? just go with the med pockets, stuff a bit more...throw that cute little girl into a dress and don't worry about it....she will be fine. and, it will save you a big expense. I like fitted for nb because there is no stuffing...easy peezy....but, pockets will be just fine.

I wonder why your dh likes pockets so much? they are more expensive than fitteds and for my dh....fitteds are easier to use.

LOL I have NO idea why he does. We had horrible luck with prefolds and covers on Isaac when we were cding him though...and maybe that ruined him. Do you use covers with your kl fitteds when they are little??

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Wouldn't the med be way too big? Or not? :think Hmmmmmm.....

2sunshines
01-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Wouldn't the med be way too big? Or not?  think Hmmmmmm.....

For me to use on a baby?  Absolutely.  But I HATE bulky diapers.  My almost 2.5 year old dd is still very comfortably in medium fuzzi bunz, I just can't imagine putting them on a newborn. :think

But if saving money was the ultimate goal and that's all you had, I imagine that you *could* make them work. It would personally just drive me crazy.

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Wouldn't the med be way too big? Or not? think Hmmmmmm.....

For me to use on a baby? Absolutely. But I HATE bulky diapers. My almost 2.5 year old dd is still very comfortably in medium fuzzi bunz, I just can't imagine putting them on a newborn.

Ok...I can get a size sm 10 pack of FB seconds to try....they are all fully functional...brand new...for 89.95. Should I go for it, try them and then buy them in med. if I love them? That would give me a total of 27 dipes? Wash every other day....

2sunshines
01-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Do they come with inserts at that price? Are they the old style or the new style?

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Do they come with inserts at that price? Are they the old style or the new style?

Old style, no inserts.

sprout
01-14-2009, 08:53 PM
yeah, make sure they come with inserts.

it is just hard to know ya know?

if you dh had a terrible time last time and is very leery of the whole cd thing, then I think I would try to have a set of small and a set of medium.

but, before you buy...compare that with the price of ten fitted and a couple of covers. if there is a big price difference, you dh might reconsider his stance on pockets. I am telling you, fitted are so much easier. You put it on, then put a cover on. done. with the pockets, you have to stuff, then put on. and, the pockets for me do tend to leak a bit more than the fitteds.

also, for dh and I, it was much easier to have one or two types of diapers then several, that can get confusing. try to keep it simple. choose a style and go with it.

sprout
01-14-2009, 08:54 PM
i don't know the difference between old and new style. if i had to guess, i think we have the old.

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Ok...I just checked....for 10 sm FB and buying inserts for them...would be less than $12 a piece. I plan to stuff when I do laundry and have them ready to go...I can add more for night time if I need to. I can keep the inserts and fitteds lok like they would be cheaper if I was paying full price though. :think

Eesti
01-14-2009, 09:02 PM
What about buying the seconds and buying 2doz infant prefolds to stuff them with? That way you could use the pfs too?

sprout
01-14-2009, 09:07 PM
yes, I had the same idea as you...stuff as you fold. that lasted about...hmmmm...twice? my newborns do not like to be put down. so stuffing became problematic. that is why the fitted are nice. but, it may work for you. and, if this is what your husband wants and will use, then, well, please the man and let him have is pockets! he he! :)

shop around for insets...you can get them cheap and a great insert is a newborn prefold....great for spills and clean up too.

Naked Camper
01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
if you can find them, I've really liked cotton babies inserts - their seconds sometimes are as cheap as $1 each

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 09:19 PM
I feel really pressured (probably ridiculously so) because of our first failure. Oh, what to do.

Naked Camper
01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
why was your first time such a failure? What went wrong? Maybe if you worked through that, you can problem solve how to avoid it this time around :shrug2

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 10:13 PM
why was your first time such a failure? What went wrong? Maybe if you worked through that, you can problem solve how to avoid it this time around :shrug2

We used pre-folds and wrap style covers (BSWW, Bumkins, Prowraps, Litewraps) and we had HORRIBLE leaks. Maybe it was certain covers. :think But I am not sure which ones. It didn't seem to matter whether I pinned them, snappi'd them or just layed them in. Finally, about 1 month into using them, I walked out of the bathroom at Walmart and said, "Go to the diaper aisle. We are buying disposables." I had changed his clothes and everything three times in a row due to leaks.

Ok...I talked to him about the fitteds vs. pockets. He still wants pockets, which is fine. I am ordering 13 FuzziBunz seconds. That will finish our small stash and we can decide if we like them before we buy med.

Inserts....should we get one size or newborn/small inserts?? I don't want too bulky, but I don't want leaks either.

Happygrl
01-14-2009, 11:23 PM
I'd just make sure the inserts fit the brand of diaper you are getting well. I love the OS Cotton Babies inserts but I don't think they fit FB well. If the insert doesn't fit well, we ended up with leaks.

ReedleBeetle
01-14-2009, 11:39 PM
So I should stick with FB inserts then, huh? If I get the smalls, can I use them to double up with larger inserts later?

Happygrl
01-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Personally, I would stick with FB inserts (or others that are shaped & sized very similarly), especially with your past leak issues.

And, yes, small inserts can generally be used as doublers later on, asssuming they aren't thick enough to change the fit when used that way.

2sunshines
01-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Ftr, I prefer the old style fb. :yes

I'd also stick with small inserts. You have to change a newborn so often that usually you don't get issues with the insert being saturated unless you have a super soaker. You don't want leaks but you also don't want huge bulk either.

2sunshines
01-15-2009, 07:17 AM
One question: is there a particular reason you want to have the entire stash BEFORE baby comes? I'm just wondering if it might be better for you to have a few of each type that you can try out with baby and see what works best, then based on that, go and order your whole stash. I sympathize with you cause I get the nesting anxiety, I'm doing it myself. :giggle Wanting to have everything ready well before baby comes. But if you're not positive what you're going to love, sometimes you can be spending a lot of money on something that you may end up not loving, kwim?

Happygrl
01-15-2009, 09:20 AM
I was wondering that, too. The diapers I thought I'd love the most ended up being (mostly) at the bottom of my likings and vice versa.

ReedleBeetle
01-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I keep finding sales and great clearances, so I am trying to buy in advance so that I can buy more cheaply. Plus, I am ok with if we don't love the FB. We will sell them when the baby outgrows them and try some other stuff for the medium sizes. We will have a total of 30 diapers when these come in....so we are done buying for now. I just need inserts for them.

schmamy
01-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I love that my pocket change diapers have the pass through pocket so I don't have to touch the inserts in the middle when it comes time to wash diapers.

Funny, I hate that about my pocket change dipes :giggle I always shove the insert too far through and then have to readjust. FWIW, I don't take any inserts out of any dipes. They always agitate out in the first rinse cycle. YMMV.

I'm noticing (and annoyed by) the short rise on the mediums all of a sudden, too. They're still working for DS, but definitely shorter than the other mediums we have.

schmamy
01-15-2009, 10:47 AM

Why's that? haven't tried the new, just curious

ReedleBeetle
01-15-2009, 10:48 AM

I am curious too.

2sunshines
01-15-2009, 10:53 AM

Well, I really have little experience with the new but I do know that fuzzi bunz has moved some of its production to China, so with new style, you may get made in china or made in the usa. That is a turn off to me right off the bat. So if I buy more, it will either be second hand where I can verify where the specific diaper is made or from a store who will verify that. Ftr, I've never received a made in china fuzzi bunz (thankfully) but the fb manufacturers have confirmed this to be true. :(

ReedleBeetle
01-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Well, I really have little experience with the new but I do know that fuzzi bunz has moved some of its production to China, so with new style, you may get made in china or made in the usa. That is a turn off to me right off the bat. So if I buy more, it will either be second hand where I can verify where the specific diaper is made or from a store who will verify that. Ftr, I've never received a made in china fuzzi bunz (thankfully) but the fb manufacturers have confirmed this to be true. :(

What I read is that they moved all production *to* the USA.

The NEW & IMPROVED Fuzzi Bunz Pocket Diapers have arrived and are ready to ship! The Fuzzi Bunz are now made exclusively in the USA, have stretchier elastic around the legs to better hug baby's curves, noticeable larger tabs for a better grip and to prevent sagging, and updated top stitching for added reinforcement of seams. Even though the favorite Fuzzi Bunz has undergone a makeover they didn't change what wasn't broken including the sizing, snap placement, and price. If you haven't tried Fuzzi Bunz in the past, now is the time!

Quoted from Nicki's Diapers. Bolded by me.

2sunshines
01-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Here's one of the threads where I first learned about this. Someone received a fuzzi bunz that was produced in China and was confused. Partway down the first page, Tereson (owner of fuzzi bunz) confirms that fuzzi bunz have a factory in china and are making diapers in both china and the usa. :(

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628682&highlight=fuzzi+bunz+china

ReedleBeetle
01-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Hmmm....emailing Nicki's about this, because I think she will want to know so she doesn't have false info on her page. one reason I was looking forward to FB was the made in the USA thing.

2sunshines
01-15-2009, 01:42 PM
Let me know what she says. :heart

ReedleBeetle
01-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Will do....I also asked her if they were selling only USA ones or something. If so...I wil definitely buy them from her in the future.

ReedleBeetle
01-20-2009, 11:16 AM
This is my Nicki's reply:
I will pass this on to Nicki as she will be able to know or not if we carry the USA made or the china made ones. I do know this that our tags on the FB we have all say Made in the USA.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Warmly,
Julie
http://www.nickisdiapers.com
http://www.myswimbaby.com

Also, I got my FuzziBunz seconds in today!! They are NICE! Only one diaper has anything that looks "not quite right" and I think that is because it has lots of thread whiskers. One dipe has a slightly uneven row of snaps...other than that...we couldn't figure out why they were seconds. :shrug I am excited to use them! Oh, and I got a neutral color pack...we got a neon green diaper! It will look AWESOME on a dark skinned baby!

2sunshines
01-20-2009, 11:18 AM
:tu

trustingGod2
01-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Fuzzi Bunz One Size at www.nurturedfamily.com