PDA

View Full Version : Do you let your pets sleep in your bed if you co-sleep?

TuneMyHeart
01-05-2009, 06:45 AM
:)

blessedwithboys
01-05-2009, 06:54 AM
No. We used to let the dogs sleep in bed before kids, but stopped when ds1 was born. They are sweet, loving animals that would never intentionally hurt a baby. However, I just don't think their instinct would be to avoid blocking the baby's face. Baby would always sleep up by me anyway, but I felt like it was a very reasonable precaution. :yes They don't mind. They sleep on quality beds and have never seemed upset about it at all.

Not to mention that they are labs (so shed a lot) and I didn't want a chance of dog hair on my newborn. :sick

Raspberries
01-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Yes. My cat comes in and out of our bedroom throughout the night. She only ever sleeps at the bottom of the bed. While she is fat, she doesn't hinder my sleep and because she's at the bottom of the bed, she's no where near my girls. If she were to move toward them, I'd be awake in a flash because I always feel the movement.

Mama Bird
01-05-2009, 07:00 AM
Moose sleeps at our feet...under the covers. We didn't let him do that until after Smiley was moving around on his own though. He slept under our bed on his own bed.

EmilyB
01-10-2009, 12:37 PM
We have a Boston Terrier too and he was the original co-sleeper in the family :smile

He's always slept with us and DS. If I'm not sleeping with DS, I'll put the dog at my son's feet to act as my baby monitor.

I think it really just depends on the animal, the child's age, and the relationship the child has with the animal.

Niphredil
01-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Our cat generally doesn't choose to. She has on a few odd occasions. We didn't let her at all til N was very mobile/walking.

Johns_Gal
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
No. The cats were allowed before, but they tend to race across us in the middle of the night, and they all have all their claws.

TuneMyHeart
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
How do you guys keep cats out of your room? I don't like to close our bedroom door in case Ellie needs me. We have a baby monitor, but sometimes it's accidentally set too low or quits working for no reason.

Leslie_JJKs_mom
01-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I had a little chihuahua that slept under the covers towards the end of the bed but not quite since the middle was warmer. He never came near the baby. My cat would come into bed and although he would step on the dog which would get him a mean I am sleeping here growl he also stayed towards the end of the bed and never came near the baby. Chew chew hated getting stepped on by the cat. Dh and I would just howl with laughter at how outraged our dog would get at being stepped on again by that cat. :lol

kiloyd
01-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Yes, my cat has always slept in our bed whenever she wants. Often up against baby (babie's feet if very young baby) My cat likes to get close to me and when my babies are very young I often have to move her so she is not on baby but is between us or at their feet.

My baby is now 18 mo old and sometimes Patches gets on me but a little bit on baby and I don't mind.

PurpleButterfly
01-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Our dog is 125 lbs so he has his own bed right next to ours. :) Our cats have always slept with us. Our cali likes to sleep on feet and come and go during the night. My Siamese is my best snuggle buddy, he curls around my lower back and knows just what a cosleeping nursing mama needs! :cool He has always curled around both dc when they nap, and I think his cuddly warmth has always helped them sleep longer and more contentedly.

Amber
01-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Our cat comes and goes during the night. He mostly likes to sleep on my legs (until he thinks it is time to be fed ;)) so he is nowhere near the kids

Rabbit
01-10-2009, 03:05 PM
4 (used to be 5) cats, who are very restless at dawn, who walk on everybody in the bed, meow loudly for attention, and otherwise make a nuisance of themselves. The only way to keep them out is to shut the door. Maybe you need a new baby monitor.

sprout
01-13-2009, 08:49 PM
yes.

let me see...

this morning there was dd1, boxer, dd2...all on the pillow. then, I was laying sideways sandwiched up against me was a beagle mix and a ridgeback mix. (it was cold). but, we were not!

when the babies are little, I am much, much more careful. but, not so much now...its a free for all!