PDA

View Full Version : "Babies do NOT belong in your bed" comment from MIL

CapeTownMommy
01-04-2009, 09:09 PM
We don't cosleep with dd (bought into Ezzo when pg with her :doh ). We will definitely approach a next baby differently; I don't yet know if we'll officially cosleep as in full-time, but dh has agreed that it's really not that big an issue if he/she sleeps in our bed some of the time. Probably we'll have a crib in our room and put baby in our bed when he/she wakes for the first time to nurse.

Anyway.

Last night, my MIL (who totally agrees with our AP way of parenting, even though it's very different from what they did) commented that babies do NOT belong in an adult's bed, that baby needs to learn that the bed is mommy and daddy's and that baby should respect that. I disagreed, told her that I (a) do not believe babies understand the concept of ownership until about 2 years anyway, and (b) I'm sad that we were so strict with dd, because nowadays she sleeps in our room most nights anyway and it helps her sleep which is the most important thing to me.

How would you handle MIL's comment if it was said to you? I don't want to quote studies at her, and given that she hasn't said anything about SIDS danger (that misperception is still very common here) I don't need to address it.

I just feel that what happens in dh and my bed has very little to do with anyone else, KWIM?

Marzipan
01-04-2009, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't engage. It's not her business, and you don't owe anyone an explination. Pass the bean dip :)

allisonintx
01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
:beandip

mamaKristin
01-04-2009, 09:18 PM
My initial response would be "my inlaws and their opinions don't belong in my bed either"....but I think bean dip is more graceful and less inflammatory.

IslandHome
01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
We've had a lot of these comments, and bean dip is definitely the way to go. I've tried engaging in debates - you know about how common co-sleeping is in most places of the world, and throughout history, how much safer it is, how we all sleep better... and honestly it just isn't worth it. :shrug

mamahammer
01-04-2009, 09:25 PM
My initial response would be "my inlaws and their opinions don't belong in my bed either"....but I think bean dip is more graceful and less inflammatory.

:yes

light of mine
01-04-2009, 09:37 PM

:clap

MamaPepper
01-04-2009, 09:39 PM

That was my first though too. . . :yes

sweetpeasmommy
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
:beandip

swimming with sharks
01-05-2009, 07:03 AM

:clap

That about sums it up. They had their turn to raise kids now it's your turn. :yes :heart

Cookie Momster
01-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I agree with don't engage in the debate. :beandip2

CapeTownMommy
01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks all. I did essentially bean dip after making that statement, and will practice that some more when the next opportunity comes! :)