PDA

View Full Version : Veggies in my fridge

Atarah
01-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I have a MASSIVE amount of organic veggies in my fridge. It's several weeks of CSA stuff (plus another person's from one week.)

Most of it can be cooked/frozen (the greens). Some of it can just be frozen (cauliflower etc.)

SO please :poke me.

If I do nothing, it will rot. I have NO space in my fridge because it is FULL of veggies............

RiverRock
01-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Have you made soup, yet? :poke Are you adding veggies to your omelets and sauces? Of course you can freeze some of it, too. ;)

rstump
01-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Oh...love when my is full of veggies.

Yummy veggie loaded quiche, you can puree things like cauliflower to add to recipes like eggs, sauces. stir-fry can use up a bunch, salads (of course), veggies in casseroles.

Hope you got some used up tonight!!

Atarah
01-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Lots of soups. :yes Lots of stir-fry.

I'm vegan and hubbie is a lacto-veg. We eat veggies every day. The CSA share, however, is 'veggies for four'.

We pick up each week on Tuesday afternoon, so I *try* to cook up any 'left over' veggies on Tuesday morning in anticipation of the fresh veggies.

I've just gotten a bit behind.

Plus, with these there are parts that either wouldn't come with the veggies in the store (like the cauliflower greens), or parts that I don't normally eat from store veggies (like the radish greens), so there's 'more' to prep/eat than if I had bought the veggies at the store.

Tonight we had soup with onions, turnips, daikon radishes, cauliflower, cauliflower greens, chinese cabbage, and I added a couple cans of beans for some extra protein. :yum

It *smelled* like a cruciferous veggie nightmare when I was cooking it :giggle, but it tasted :yum

Fortunately, they are picked from the ground the day we get them, so they are super fresh and keep quite a while in the fridge.

I still need to take care of:
2.75 chinese cabbages
6 (or so) bunches of broccoli + greens
a couple bags of salad greens
a bunch of carrots
a bunch of daikon radishes
a bunch of turnips
1 head red leaf lettuce
several bags of small leafy greens (mustard, radish, turnip etc.)
2 large bunches of kale
1 bunch of collards
(there may be more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head)

Sunday will be a busy day. :giggle

:poke me to go away if you see me on GCM :lol

Ali
01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Get those "Green Bags" that keep veggies fresh longer. I got some and they actually work!

pastelsummer
01-02-2009, 10:15 PM
I so would LOVE to come to your house!!

arelyn
01-03-2009, 09:08 AM
That sounds just like our spring CSA share...oh how I wish it were June!!

tempus vernum
01-05-2009, 07:35 AM
It's cold here so I would make soup and use up the diakon radish, the cabbages and throw in a few other things. I am going to be starting a juice fast soon so I would use alot of the stuff for that ;)

Broccoli goes so nicely in broccoli chz casserole (vegan w/nutritional yeast sauce, rice or barley and homemade vegan cream soup :yum)

I am getting hungry now. In the winter, we are not as fully of veggies as the summer so I would love it if I had all those veggies. :yum

FUN!

arelyn
01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Our favourite miscelaneous veggie soup recipe starts with four-ish tomatoes and 3 cups of water on medium heat. Then I chop up an onion and anything that needs to be eaten soon. All the hard veggies go in first along with whatever spces I feel like (cinnamon and cumin for an african feel, cinn and curry powder for S Asian, basil and oregano for Italian), then after a bit in goes the rest, except greens. Then when it looks done I add the greens and a can of chickpeas and let it cook until the greens are soft . Day 1 it's soup. Day 2 add more water and risotto rice. If there's anything left on day three you can make it a casserole or put it in wraps for sandwiches.

How's it coming?