PDA

View Full Version : what to do for sudden night waking 7 month old

greenishmama
12-30-2008, 12:27 PM
DS has slept 7-8 hours for the past month. Until 3 nights ago. He is up every 2 hours, wakes fussing/crying- never did that before. Can't even change his diaper or he wails. If I nurse him he won't go back down. He'll awaken when I put him down and cry. He sleeps in co-sleeper crib next to me. Touching/soothing him does not help. He seems only to want to sleep on my shoulder while I'll sitting up or standing- sorry- that won't work for my sleep needs! I am a person who needs solid sleep. I know I was pretty lucky that he started sleeping 7-8 hours- thanks to my mother's prayers! When I get lousy sleep I get depressed, body aches, can't function mentally. My body just can't handle it. He does not seem to be teething. He is totally find and normal during they day. He falls asleep on his own happily after nursing for some of his naps and sometimes at bedtime- so it is not a nursing to sleep association. He used to wake for nursing only half-awake and go back to sleep nursing and I put him down. If he did awake upon being put down he happily went back to sleep. I had DH try to put him back to sleep last night and he had to rock and rock him for a long time. Could he be afraid of the dark at this age? I know there are lots of tough mammas (and pappas) out there, but we just can't handle frequent wakings and on top of that, taking so long to get him back to sleep.

Ideas...?

Englishgirl
12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Not really any ideas just to say that as it's only been 3 nights it's possible that it will stop as quickly as it started. I know that my DD and friend's children have often gone through phases of this or something else that is just unusual for them. Personally I wouldn't worry too much while it's been such a short time.

greenishmama
12-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Not really any ideas just to say that as it's only been 3 nights it's possible that it will stop as quickly as it started. I know that my DD and friend's children have often gone through phases of this or something else that is just unusual for them. Personally I wouldn't worry too much while it's been such a short time.

thanks. The reason I worry is because we went through a horrible period with DS1 at around 5.5 months. I've been soooo afraid it's going to happen with DS2! DS1 would just wake and cry no matter what we tried. I was barely functioning.