PDA

View Full Version : Finally letting go of my 'original packaging' obsession!

Rea T
12-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Every year as I pack up the Christmas ornaments I painstakingly put them all back into their original boxes. And it takes FOREVER. Last year we got one of those ornament bin with the cardboard dividers but I had already packed everything.

Yesterday as I took the tree down (yeah, I'm right on it, day after Christmas! It was dead and was blocking my sunlight, it had to go) I thought "Why do I put all of these things back in the original packaging year after year?" So, out came the special box and I packed all of my ornaments away and tossed their original boxes. I feel so free! :giggle

(I'm also slowly letting go of ornaments and decorations that I hate.)

CapeTownMommy
12-27-2008, 06:37 AM
:rockon I'm a packrat, so I have trouble letting go of things too. Good for you!

So what are you going to do with all the spare time you now have? ;)

klpmommy
12-27-2008, 06:47 AM
dh is that way with electronics. It drives me insane. Everything takes up so much more room that way. Plus since the electronics are being used it means that we are storing EMPTY boxes!!! :hissyfit

Benjaminswife
12-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Okay I need one of those boxes you got. I get so sick of putting them back into each box too. And this year since DS#1 helped take them out, some are ripped anyways. I would also save a lot of space I think.

Rea T
12-28-2008, 06:03 PM
dh is that way with electronics. It drives me insane. Everything takes up so much more room that way. Plus since the electronics are being used it means that we are storing EMPTY boxes!!! :hissyfit

We did this for a long time. Only it wasn't just electronics, it was boxes for appliances (blender, mixer, toaster, coffeemaker, etc.), boxes for dishes, boxes for crystal, EVERYTHING! We've slowly weeded them out over the years as we moved in and out of apartments with little storage and finally into our house where we still don't have a ton of storage space.

So what are you going to do with all the spare time you now have? ;)

Drink eggnog and read a good book!

April G
12-28-2008, 06:05 PM
dh is that way with electronics.  It drives me insane.  Everything takes up so much more room that way.  Plus since the electronics are being used it means that we are storing EMPTY boxes!!! :hissyfit

I do this. :shifty And I'm frequently glad I kept them cause stuff always seems to break for me. :/ I also keep every. single. receipt. And they're filed. :shifty

Hermana Linda
12-28-2008, 09:22 PM
I do this. :shifty And I'm frequently glad I kept them cause stuff always seems to break for me. :/ I also keep every. single. receipt. And they're filed. :shifty

Sometimes you need them. We seem to save everything except for the one we end up needing. :doh :shrug

joyfulmomof2
12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
I save and file receipts for a time - until I know I won't need it anymore - either the return time expired or something like that. As for the box, I do often keep them for a bit, but also let them go by the time or before the warranty runs out.

Marielle
12-28-2008, 09:59 PM
you're hysterical LOL but way to go! I swing from one extreme to the other, keep it all for a while then have a spurt of delcluttering energy and chuck way too much.

Aisling
12-28-2008, 10:05 PM
:woohoo

Dh does this with *every* piece of electronics he buys...I free those back into the world on a regular basis. :shifty :giggle It's a good feeling, no? :mrgreen :heart

Hermana Linda
12-28-2008, 10:09 PM
you're hysterical LOL but way to go! I swing from one extreme to the other, keep it all for a while then have a spurt of delcluttering energy and chuck way too much.

Which is exactly what dh does, and the reason we never seem to have them when we need them. ;)

Benjaminswife
12-29-2008, 01:21 AM
So I got rid of all my ornament boxes and now I have 1 box with ornaments, stockings and lights. YAY!!! I love that :D

Rea T
12-31-2008, 10:48 AM
So I got rid of all my ornament boxes and now I have 1 box with ornaments, stockings and lights. YAY!!! I love that :D

Go Julie!

knitlove
01-01-2009, 08:52 AM
I need to look in to those boxes for ornaments, does any one have a link? We didn't put ornaments on the tree because I didn't want to face unpacking and packing them all up again in a few days :blush

saving the box funny - my FIL gave DH a printer when he went to collage it is a great printer (we have all the books but no box), but it is optimized for text and the ink is crazy expensive so the last time we bought ink (5years ago - it does last for ever) we deiced that when we ran out of ink we would buy a printer that would do images. So we buy this house and in the attic is an empty box for the printer we have. So when it runs out of ink, and I think it will this year, we can list it on Crag's list whit all the books and the box and we didn't have to keep up with the box for years, :giggle

Hermana Linda
01-01-2009, 04:17 PM
:jawdrop Knitlove, that is amazing! :heart