Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
Rea T
Deactivated

Growing into something beautiful...

Rea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally letting go of my 'original packaging' obsession!

Every year as I pack up the Christmas ornaments I painstakingly put them all back into their original boxes. And it takes FOREVER. Last year we got one of those ornament bin with the cardboard dividers but I had already packed everything.

Yesterday as I took the tree down (yeah, I'm right on it, day after Christmas! It was dead and was blocking my sunlight, it had to go) I thought "Why do I put all of these things back in the original packaging year after year?" So, out came the special box and I packed all of my ornaments away and tossed their original boxes. I feel so free!

(I'm also slowly letting go of ornaments and decorations that I hate.)
Rea T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
CapeTownMommy
Deactivated

CapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond reputeCapeTownMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally letting go of my 'original packaging' obsession!

I'm a packrat, so I have trouble letting go of things too. Good for you!

So what are you going to do with all the spare time you now have?
CapeTownMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
klpmommy
Deactivated

Beware the gorgon, she's having a bad hair day

klpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond reputeklpmommy has a reputation beyond repute

dh is that way with electronics. It drives me insane. Everything takes up so much more room that way. Plus since the electronics are being used it means that we are storing EMPTY boxes!!!
klpmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Benjaminswife
Rose Garden

Benjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud of

Okay I need one of those boxes you got. I get so sick of putting them back into each box too. And this year since DS#1 helped take them out, some are ripped anyways. I would also save a lot of space I think.

~Julie~
Wife to Ben since 08/03/02,
Mama to Daniel~9, Drew~7 & Joshua~3
Blogging Through The Journey

Benjaminswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Rea T
Deactivated

Rea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond reputeRea T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy
dh is that way with electronics. It drives me insane. Everything takes up so much more room that way. Plus since the electronics are being used it means that we are storing EMPTY boxes!!!
We did this for a long time. Only it wasn't just electronics, it was boxes for appliances (blender, mixer, toaster, coffeemaker, etc.), boxes for dishes, boxes for crystal, EVERYTHING! We've slowly weeded them out over the years as we moved in and out of apartments with little storage and finally into our house where we still don't have a ton of storage space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeTownMommy

So what are you going to do with all the spare time you now have?
Drink eggnog and read a good book!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
April G
Deactivated

April G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond reputeApril G has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by klpmommy
dh is that way with electronics.  It drives me insane.  Everything takes up so much more room that way.  Plus since the electronics are being used it means that we are storing EMPTY boxes!!!
I do this. And I'm frequently glad I kept them cause stuff always seems to break for me. :/ I also keep every. single. receipt. And they're filed.
April G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by organiquegal
I do this. And I'm frequently glad I kept them cause stuff always seems to break for me. :/ I also keep every. single. receipt. And they're filed.
Sometimes you need them. We seem to save everything except for the one we end up needing.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
joyfulmomof2
Rose Trellis

joyfulmomof2 will become famous soon enough

I save and file receipts for a time - until I know I won't need it anymore - either the return time expired or something like that. As for the box, I do often keep them for a bit, but also let them go by the time or before the warranty runs out.

Homeschooling my two sweet kiddos:

Dino - 10 & Princess - 7
joyfulmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

you're hysterical LOL but way to go! I swing from one extreme to the other, keep it all for a while then have a spurt of delcluttering energy and chuck way too much.

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Dh does this with *every* piece of electronics he buys...I free those back into the world on a regular basis. It's a good feeling, no?
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #11
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marielle
you're hysterical LOL but way to go! I swing from one extreme to the other, keep it all for a while then have a spurt of delcluttering energy and chuck way too much.
Which is exactly what dh does, and the reason we never seem to have them when we need them.

My pages:
Old 12-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #12
Benjaminswife
Rose Garden

Benjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud ofBenjaminswife has much to be proud of

So I got rid of all my ornament boxes and now I have 1 box with ornaments, stockings and lights. YAY!!! I love that

~Julie~
Wife to Ben since 08/03/02,
Mama to Daniel~9, Drew~7 & Joshua~3
Blogging Through The Journey

Benjaminswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
Rea T
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaminswife
So I got rid of all my ornament boxes and now I have 1 box with ornaments, stockings and lights. YAY!!! I love that
Go Julie!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I need to look in to those boxes for ornaments, does any one have a link? We didn't put ornaments on the tree because I didn't want to face unpacking and packing them all up again in a few days

saving the box funny - my FIL gave DH a printer when he went to collage it is a great printer (we have all the books but no box), but it is optimized for text and the ink is crazy expensive so the last time we bought ink (5years ago - it does last for ever) we deiced that when we ran out of ink we would buy a printer that would do images. So we buy this house and in the attic is an empty box for the printer we have. So when it runs out of ink, and I think it will this year, we can list it on Crag's list whit all the books and the box and we didn't have to keep up with the box for years,
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Knitlove, that is amazing!

My pages: