PDA

View Full Version : Hating my Moby

cindergretta
09-30-2008, 01:09 AM
I want to wear it. I try to wear it all the time. But it is a monster to get on and get the baby in. The tails are all over the ground which annoys me NO end b/c I don't want to put her in it after it has been dragged through whatever ick is on the ground. It takes me and 2 others to get it on me and babe into it.

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing? I have studied the guide that came with it in depth!!!

:sigh

Thanks....

BriansLovie
09-30-2008, 04:56 AM
Can you tie the ends around you again or in a bow or something to keep them from draggin?

Elora
09-30-2008, 04:59 AM
:popcorn

The ends are dragging as you're putting it on?

Does this not happen with all wraps? (not being snarking :hug I've never wrapped and so I'm curious because I want a Moby or something similar)

klpmommy
09-30-2008, 05:01 AM
I had to have someone IRL show me how to use it. Once they did that it suddenly clicked for me. Prior to that it just wasn't working. The nice thing about the moby is you can tie it on at home, drive with it on, then pop baby in once you are at your destination, that prevents the tails from getting dirty. It is also a one woman operation that way, but when I tried to wrap it around the baby it took about 8 hands to get her in.

DoulaClara
09-30-2008, 05:30 AM
I had to put it on at home and then wear it around, too. It got a lot easier after that! It does look a bit like you're wearing some type of sash, without the baby in it, but popping her in was a much easier time!

ViolaMum
09-30-2008, 06:17 AM
I had to have someone IRL show me how to use it. Once they did that it suddenly clicked for me. Prior to that it just wasn't working. The nice thing about the moby is you can tie it on at home, drive with it on, then pop baby in once you are at your destination, that prevents the tails from getting dirty. It is also a one woman operation that way, but when I tried to wrap it around the baby it took about 8 hands to get her in.

:tu Yeah, that!
Have you seen this video? http://www.mamatoto.org/videos/FWCJarret4moWrapFirst.MPG I didn't have anyone to watch IRL and this answered a bunch of questions.

FWIW, I do a different carry when I front wrap while holding baby. And I had to watch a bunch of videos first! The hip cross carry was the first one I learned to do that wasn't pre-tied.

The Tickle Momster
09-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Come to a GCM meet up in that big city north of you & I'll help you. ;) No online advice sorry. :hug

allisonintx
09-30-2008, 07:59 AM
FWIW, I hate Moby's and can't figure out why people like them so much. :shrug

Give me a good old fashioned ring sling or Asian carrier any day.

cindergretta
09-30-2008, 09:33 AM
FWIW, I hate Moby's and can't figure out why people like them so much. :shrug

Give me a good old fashioned ring sling or Asian carrier any day.

I have a Maya but it puts such strain on my shoulder and the fabric tends to "slip" through the ring while I am wearing it. Maybe I need to look into an Asian carrier. Dh is ready to pitch the Moby and get a pouch. I like the Moby (when I finally get the thing on!) b/c it distributes the weight and pressure points so well.

(It drags all over the ground in the process of getting into it, kwim?)

Momster- I was in the zoo in that "big city north of" me on Sunday! :giggle The words "Wish you were here" were never truer!!! :heart

allisonintx
09-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Sounds like your needs would be better met with an ABC.

cindergretta
09-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Sounds like your needs would be better met with an ABC.

I'm game! :grin What's an ABC and are they *cheap*? :shifty

2sunshines
09-30-2008, 10:27 AM
(It drags all over the ground in the process of getting into it, kwim?)

Are you putting it on at your destination or at home beforehand? I always put mine on at home beforehand then when we got to where we were going, just popped baby in. That solved that issue for me.

Though, later on, I did learn to wrap without the ends touching the ground -- it's just a learned skill that will come with practice.

allisonintx
09-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Asian Baby Carrier. No, they're not cheap, but I bet you could get together enough if you wanted to sell the Moby.

cindergretta
09-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Asian Baby Carrier.

:doh :blush

Blue Savannah
09-30-2008, 12:23 PM
:hug2

crunchymum
09-30-2008, 12:41 PM
fwiw, here's a video that shows the back cross carry without the ends touching the ground. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1RifEflbjk

The Tickle Momster
09-30-2008, 12:47 PM
wish we coulda been there too. was a great day for a zoo trip! :hug

check thebabywearer.com for used ABCs. I got one for a friend for only $35.

Psyche
09-30-2008, 12:49 PM
For what its worth, my ABC gets dragged on the ground too.

vinajoy
10-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi there!

I'm actually wearing my Moby right now with my baby sleeping soundly in it and I love it, especially because it's cold here in the NW and I love that it covers my baby! It took me awhile to master putting it on, but after a few tries, I can put it on with my eyes closed! How old is your little one? Like others suggested, I put it on at home if I was going out somewhere. I would tie it around me while standing on a rug so it won't get dirty when I finally get to my destination and ready to put the baby in! The www.mobywrap.com website has a video now that shows you how to do it.

As far as ABC's - if you look at www.etsy.com online, you'll find some really quality mei tais that are a little bit cheaper than the more popular ones (like babyhawk mei tai's). Check buyer reviews first though. There's also beco carriers that have the feel of a mei tai but you use buckles instead.

Hope that helps!

nonsumdignus
10-15-2008, 08:12 PM
The nice thing about the moby is you can tie it on at home, drive with it on, then pop baby in once you are at your destination, that prevents the tails from getting dirty.

WSS.

As for ABCs, maybe go to thebabywearer.com and read reviews of different carriers. Then check out FSOT; there are some super good deals on there lately. HTH:)