PDA

View Full Version : Very early EC questions

MaySunflowers
06-11-2008, 10:40 AM
With my daughter I discovered EC "late" and we started at 10 months. It was great. I've so far been planning to do the same thing again but maybe start at 8 or 9 months. But I've been thinking about it and wondering... some things....

Has anyone started it REALLY early with small babies? If so, why start so early? Does it make a significant difference in how they learn? What are the benefits?

Iarwain
06-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I started at 2 wks with Rosebud. It was super duper easy. I was catching at least 50% (usu. closer to 75%) of her pees and almost all of her poos within a week. They say that if you start before the baby has a chance to learn to ignore their elimination urges that it is much easier. In any case not having to worry about a diaper blowout and her being dry at night from 3 mos on made it totally worth it.

Calliope
06-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Yeah, that. We started at 3 weeks, though *I* didn't catch on very well until about 8 weeks. Within two weeks, we were catching 50-60% of his pees and almost all poops. He recently turned 6 months and I've noticed that he's has even more control than before. If I hold him over the potty, he'll try to go now, even if he doesn't have to. Sometimes, I just get farts. (Yes, folks, I have taught my boy to fart at will at the age of 6 months.) He is usually dry most night and almost always holds it the whole time we are out of the house.

MaySunflowers
06-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Hmmm interesting. I don't have clue when Luke is about to pee and only notice he is about to poop seconds before he does. I think I might read up more about it and decide if I should start earlier. We just switched to cloth diapers yesterday (all in ones because they only now fit) and Luke HATES them (or hates that he feels wet in them, so I always know when he's just peed in them.

zak
06-12-2008, 05:25 AM
I started at 9 weeks. Started catching right away. :tu We EC part time.

Iarwain
06-12-2008, 05:48 AM
I started by just taking her before and after nursing and naps. Learning her cues developed a little later.

Calliope
06-12-2008, 07:36 AM
I started by just taking her before and after nursing and naps. Learning her cues developed a little later.

:yes Us too!

abbiroads
06-12-2008, 07:42 AM
:think

mishmom
06-12-2008, 08:24 AM
us too- we started giving potty opps after naps at 7 days old. EC has been super easy and natural for us. dd was very aware ofher elimination needs at a young age.... she's been having a regular daily poo since she was 3 or 4 months old.

in contrast, i have a friend who started ec with her dd at around 4 mos and at 7 mos she still has multiple poos a day and they're very hard to predict. (although i admit, it's possible that this might not be related to the ec)

another beneift of starting early is that it prevents diaper rash... honestly dd is 10 mos old and has NEVER has diaper rash. glad she never had to deal with it!

SamRose
06-17-2008, 09:38 PM
DD will be 2 weeks old 2morow, and I started last week :)
I made a post about being excited to have caught 2 poos and a pee the 1st day we tried :D
I cant possibly EC full time as Id like, since my olders R still very young. But I figure even part time EC is good. My baby doesnt like gettin wiped during changes, so every catch allows her to avoid that annoyance and stay happy! As of now, Im holding her over the Baby Bjorn Little Potty whenever I can, like after naps if she didnt poo in her sleep and if she is only a lil wet. Or after she eats, if she hasnt pooped in a while, and the olders R occupied.