PDA

View Full Version : Changed my mind I hate my new Moby Wrap!

joby'smom
03-25-2008, 07:26 PM
I've only had it two weeks and Joby is only 3 weeks. My Moby Wrap is impossible to put on right with either a fussy or sleepy baby. Today was beautiful and I wanted to take Joby out for a walk. As I was putting the wrap on he woke up and started fussing. So, I started to panic as my baby was lying on the bed crying and crying. I was trying to put the wrap on and soothe the baby. I just felt like throwing my hands up in the air and crying myself. I finally got the wrap on and Joby wanted nothing to do with the wrap. I was so sad. I felt like I either needed 2 more arms or maybe a ring sling would have worked better. I have been able to put him in the wrap a couple other times but neither time was a walk in the park. Ugh! I want it to work! Any suggestions? Does anyone else have a difficult time putting theirs on?

BHope
03-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Can you put the wrap on and then settle him in? How are you putting it on? Do you have his legs all cuddled up?

joby'smom
03-25-2008, 07:56 PM
I did put it on before. It took me about 5 minutes to get it on which seemed forever because the baby was crying. His legs usually are bent (isn't that called froggy style?) but today he wanted them stretched out. :shrug I am having a hard time once it's on getting Joby inside of it comfortably. I don't know if he is comfortable once inside of the wrap either.

2sunshines
03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
it really does take some practice. when I need to have baby up and in something quickly, I reach for the ring sling. I use the wrap when I have a few minutes to get all tied up beforehand.

You will get better and quicker with practice though. :yes

joby'smom
03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
it really does take some practice. when I need to have baby up and in something quickly, I reach for the ring sling. I use the wrap when I have a few minutes to get all tied up beforehand.

You will get better and quicker with practice though. :yes

I think I am going to order a sling. I'll keep practicing with the wrap but I would like to have more options. :)

2sunshines
03-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Yes, I LOVE my wrap, but I wouldn't want to have ONLY it, kwim?

A ring sling is a great basic. :yes

SPKarenO
03-25-2008, 08:12 PM
okay first :clap working so hard with a wrap with a 3 week old.

i never would have gotten into babywearing had i had a wrap first.

that said, it totally gets easier, for both of you. practise putting on the wrap when he's asleep and not on you. this way, you'll be able to do it faster when time is of the essence.

i try not to put a sleeping baby into a wrap, but rather an awake baby who is sleepy, but not yet upset. so you might think about your timing a bit more.

at the infant stage i loved a pouch with dd2, but i only had a ring sling with dd1 so that worked too!

keep trying, you'll find what works for both of you!

MarynMunchkins
03-25-2008, 08:13 PM
I love a ring sling for newborns. A wrap works better once they can understand "Mommy is coming..."

:hug

BHope
03-25-2008, 08:23 PM
This is a good link (http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=197) with videos. Although I'll say that I prefer (after several years of doing it and multiple children) to not cross the front ends until I get baby settled into the fabric part going across my chest. Then I cross it over that. Similar to this video: http://www.mamatoto.org/videos/FWCToni6moWrapwbaby.MPG

So really, what I do is put baby down in a soft spot for just a second as I put the middle of the wrap across my torso, cross it in the back, spread out the two ends over my shoulder. Then I tuck baby down into the fabric across my chest. THEN I cross the two ends across baby's back and around to my back to tie. I do this in my stretchy and woven wraps and find it takes much less time to get "ready" for baby.

me
03-27-2008, 09:31 AM
When I first started baby wearing I ordered a pouch and a storch wrap. The sling that came didnt fit quite right so I tried the wrap first. Ackkkkkk....I cringed reading how the baby was crying and you were trying to get it started. I tried all kinds of ways to get her in and she ended up having a "mental thing" againt that wrap :giggle
So I set it aside and once I got the pouch fitting just right I found it very easy to slide her in and out whenever I wanted. So I tried the wrap once more since she was use to be in a carrier. But wouldnt you know, she remembered it!
And not to mention, I am petite so I couldnt stand being like a mummy and sent it back. THe storch is different from a Moby so im not trying to say ditch the moby, just dont push the issue with the wrap until things simmer down or they dont forget.
And in the meantime, theres nothing wrong with finding something else that works better for you at this moment in time :hug2
Hindsight, this time around, im going to start off with a ring sling. There was just no way for me to nurse in the pouch the way Im built, and I know from the pouch how I will adjust baby in it.
For me, the pouch when properly fitted was fantastic as far as her resistance to be putting in something then adjusted (she just hated it). I slipped her in and did no adjusting.
I havent tried the ring sling yet so im not so sure how much adjusting is done or rather how much adjusting I will need to do, but im sure it is much easier to craddle and rock around with baby as it is done, than with a wrap :shrug

Yuliana
03-27-2008, 09:34 AM
I never used a wrap but I loved my hotsling. Next time I would love to get a ring sling.

Aisling
03-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I found wrapping tricky until my babes were at least 4 or 5 months. I *loved* my pouch at this stage. :rockon :hug

joby'smom
03-27-2008, 09:49 AM
This is a good link (http://www.mamatoto.org/Default.aspx?tabid=197) with videos. Although I'll say that I prefer (after several years of doing it and multiple children) to not cross the front ends until I get baby settled into the fabric part going across my chest. Then I cross it over that. Similar to this video: http://www.mamatoto.org/videos/FWCToni6moWrapwbaby.MPG

So really, what I do is put baby down in a soft spot for just a second as I put the middle of the wrap across my torso, cross it in the back, spread out the two ends over my shoulder. Then I tuck baby down into the fabric across my chest. THEN I cross the two ends across baby's back and around to my back to tie. I do this in my stretchy and woven wraps and find it takes much less time to get "ready" for baby.

Do you do this w/ 1 hand holding the babe?

Ima LeShalosh
03-31-2008, 11:06 PM
I have used every sling style I think that is out there...the wrap being my last style to try. I wish I had of known about the wraps with my 1st 2 because it has been a lifesaver for me and Bella ( I have used it since birth). I do the same as the PP mentioned by putting baby down for just a few moments while I find the middle and wrap it around myself...put her in the pouch and then tie her up. She is down less than a minute and it is easy to get her in and adjusted.

I just watched a mom struggle for 10min in a parking lot with her Moby and trying to get her tiny newborn in it after she already had it all tied and wrapped. It took her forever to get the baby in there and in the end, he was not happy about all the stuffing and adjusting. So maybe it is a Moby thing? I have an Ellaroo (woven wrap) and it is the easiest (aside from the easy peasy MeiTai) sling I have ever used.

:hug2 don't let the Moby discourage you from trying a woven wrap.

BHope
04-01-2008, 05:24 AM

Do you do this w/ 1 hand holding the babe?
I have, but like Michelle said, I usually just put her down for a couple seconds. Baby is only out of arms for a few moments. Not minutes. If she were already asleep, I would wrap her while holding onto her. But usually that's not the case. Usually I'm trying to either A) get baby to sleep or B) get stuff done with a wide awake baby. In which case, I find it quicker and less confusing to just put baby on the bed or bouncer.

I really believe it's just going to take practice. Doing anything when the pressure is "on" becomes more difficult. So the more practice you have, the less confused/stressed/pressured you'll feel when baby needs you right then.

joby'smom
04-01-2008, 06:28 AM
When you find the middle of the Moby is all the material folded in half? Keeping the whole string of material folded in half while wrapping it around me is the challenging part. In my book that came with the wrap it looks like the material is folded in half lengthwise to create a pouch type thing. :shrug

BearyBlessed
04-01-2008, 07:43 AM
I've never folded it in half lengthwise. :scratch But, Punkin always wanted to be upright, even from an early age, so maybe with a cradle hold?

ETA that this is the hold I usually did with him. http://mobywrap.com/t-instructions-NewBorn.aspx

jewelmcjem
04-01-2008, 12:32 PM
that said, it totally gets easier, for both of you. practise putting on the wrap when he's asleep and not on you. this way, you'll be able to do it faster when time is of the essence.

I love my Moby, and did when Fee was newborn even better than a pouch sling, but she just hated those. I did practice wrapping when I didn't need it so I could do it faster. Also, I really liked it for taking the girls to school -- I put on before going out, put my coat on over it, and then when we got to school I could just pop her in and she'd barely wake up. Now I use the Mei Tai more, but for car trips I still like not having to tie it on after I get there.

joby'smom
04-01-2008, 01:22 PM
I've never folded it in half lengthwise. :scratch But, Punkin always wanted to be upright, even from an early age, so maybe with a cradle hold?

ETA that this is the hold I usually did with him. http://mobywrap.com/t-instructions-NewBorn.aspx

REALLY? I was folding it in half and then wrapping up. When it is in half I was sliding Joby in between the creased material on my chest. Goodness, if I don't need to keep the material in half I'm going to be a pro! I've been practicing putting it on several times a day, folded. I'm going to put it on right now and go vote. It is voting day here in Milwaukee.

Thanks you! I'll let you know how it goes!

jewelmcjem
04-01-2008, 01:59 PM
I tried that half thing exactly 1 time. She hate it! I think it's more for a lying down hold and that's what she hated about the pouch sling. So I put her in upright right against me with the sides spread out across her back and she liked it MUCH better! It's easier to wrap that way too.

BHope
04-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I tried that half thing exactly 1 time. She hate it! I think it's more for a lying down hold and that's what she hated about the pouch sling. So I put her in upright right against me with the sides spread out across her back and she liked it MUCH better! It's easier to wrap that way too.
:yes

joby'smom
04-01-2008, 02:49 PM

I haven't left yet, but I am so glad I was wrong on the folding theory! Walking from point A to B is NEVER a straight route for me! Thank you ladies! I believe I am going to enjoy the wrap much more now with your thoughts and advice! :hug

AngelaVA
04-01-2008, 04:15 PM
As I was putting the wrap on he woke up and started fussing. So, I started to panic as my baby was lying on the bed crying and crying. I was trying to put the wrap on and soothe the baby. I just felt like throwing my hands up in the air and crying myself. I finally got the wrap on and Joby wanted nothing to do with the wrap. I was so sad. I felt like I either needed 2 more arms or maybe a ring sling would have worked better. I have been able to put him in the wrap a couple other times but neither time was a walk in the park.

:hugheart This was me with my ring sling, DD would scream and scream and the more I would try to adjust it to make it better, the more upset she got. I eventually just gave up on it, but if I had it to do over again I think I would practice with a doll until I got really fast at it and then try her again. Maybe this would work with your wrap?

Soliloquy
04-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't recommend a wrap to a newbie baby wearer. Too much to learn. You'll like a ring sling, though--10 seconds and it's on. It does take a few times to learn how to adjust it properly, but it's much easier to learn.

I also find it best to wear a new baby right after they've nursed and pooped--full tummy, they're happy.

BearyBlessed
04-01-2008, 09:21 PM
My one other suggestion would be to have someone help you the first couple times. It will get you the hang of doing it, but if you need to go faster, they can help get the straps around to where you can reach better.

joby'smom
04-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Guess what? I put my wrap on, not folding it in half, in a fraction of the time it was previously taking me and we were out the door happy and walking! I love my moby wrap! I love it! Love it! I was doing it all wrong! Joby was happy and content. He slept the entire time in the wrap. Thank you so much for helping me! :heart

BearyBlessed
04-02-2008, 07:14 AM
:rockon :woohoo

joby'smom
04-02-2008, 07:22 AM
:gcm

me
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
:rockon So good to hear! :)