PDA

View Full Version : There's a used hsing book sale tomorrow...

JJsMom
03-14-2008, 10:14 PM
should I even go? My ds is 4.5 and I feel a little overwhelmed and at a loss afa what I'm going to do. I bought "Teach Your Child to Read Using Children's Books" but I haven't read it yet. :O I did start it but I haven't done naything with him yet. We read a lot of books to him, I would say we spend about an hour or more per day reading to him. But I am feeling overwhelmed with actually choosing any curriculum. I feel overwhelmed at the thought of going tomorrow and trying to decide what to get. Ugh.

Maggie
03-14-2008, 11:06 PM
You have time to decide yet. :yes He's pretty young and, IMO, they learn most through play at this point, still. You could go and take a look, just to get more familiar with what's out there. Something might jump out at you or maybe you'll see something you've never seen before. :) Sounds like fun! Wish I could come along! :D :heart

2TMama
03-15-2008, 07:26 AM
I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed. I don't think there's anything wrong w/ "thinking ahead"..........but I, too, tend to feel the way you described when presented w/ SO MUCH at one time.

That being said, I think there's NOTHING like actually seeing IRL (and holding in front of you ) some of your options. I might look at something in a catalog and think I like it, then see it IRL and say "WHOA, no way.........this is way too ____________________!" I don't know if that makes sense, but it's been my experience.

No one says you have to actually make a purchase, and if nothing else----- take a little notepad and write down titles to look further into (i.e. library?).

Let us know if you go!

JJsMom
03-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Well, I went and it was great! I just brought my dd and she sat happily on my lap while I talked to my friend. We haven't talked in such a long time and we had a lot of catching up to do. It was so nice. Then I looked around and ended up buying some regular books for my ds for a quarter each. :tu
My friend really helped me see that I need to think about where I would like my ds to be. Right now I have "I want him to learn to read" looming over my head but she said to break it up into smaller chunks, like "I want him to be able to put two letters together within three months" or whatever.
I'm going to go to a homeschooling conference next month too. :)
(I also bought an Ezzo book. We needed something to burn in our new woodstove. :shifty )

2TMama
03-17-2008, 02:55 PM
:clap YAY, glad it was a success!