PDA

View Full Version : DH just shocked me sooooooo much...

KitKat
01-29-2008, 08:33 AM
So, we're not planning anymore kids for a while, but I was asking what we would do if I accidentally got pregnant (I'm starting school and am really concerned about what happens if scenarios). SOOOOO, dh said a few things, but it turned to actually having the baby. He said...

I say we do homebirth.

I explained that our insurance doesn't cover homebirth.

He said, Well, why not, that's just stupid. You've given birth to three children, the last two without a single complication and the nurse at the hospital made it WORSE with the last one, so why is it that they won't cover a homebirth for you, when you do better without nurse's looking up your skirt every 10 minutes.

I said, I didn't know, but they don't.

He said, yeah, well, what if I just don't get you to the hospital in time. I mean, will they cover the ambulance ride because our car "broke down"?

I told him I didn't know, but probably, because that would be an emergency.

So, he said....

Fine, that settles it, our cars will be broken down 5 minutes after you go into labor.

OK, this whole exchange is shocking, simply because dh is VERY mainstream in most his thinking. So, this was way out there for him. But, YEAH!! I may have a homebirth next time. I wonder if I can make friends with a midwife and have her just visit that day. ;) No, I'm just not keen on the whole unassisted portion of the homebirth.

Living My Dream
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
wow! Very interesting conversation...... maybe he's thinking he wants another then...

KitKat
01-29-2008, 08:40 AM
wow! Very interesting conversation...... maybe he's thinking he wants another then...

Well, we KNOW we probably want another after I finish school, but that has been a question mark for a while now. But apparently not so much a question mark anymore. YEAH!!

Living My Dream
01-29-2008, 09:51 AM
:hug :tu

Codi
01-29-2008, 06:10 PM
No, I'm just not keen on the whole unassisted portion of the homebirth.

It's not unassisted if you have a midwife there... :shrug

KitKat
01-29-2008, 06:12 PM

I know, that's why I said I need to make friends with a midwife before I get pregnant. Our insurance won't cover it so I can't afford to hire one. Well, I don't know, depends on what financial situation we are in when I DO get pregnant.

Codi
01-29-2008, 06:46 PM

I know, that's why I said I need to make friends with a midwife before I get pregnant. Our insurance won't cover it so I can't afford to hire one. Well, I don't know, depends on what financial situation we are in when I DO get pregnant.

That's too bad....It makes no sense to me why insurance wouldnt cover a homebirth...I mean an average hospital birth costs $7,000.00 and an average homebirth costs between $2,000.00 and $4,000.000. Would be so much cheaper for them...The cost of a homebirth probably is what we would pay out of pockett that insurance didnt cover anyways....