PDA

View Full Version : could child-lead night-weaning look like this?

herbalwriter
01-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I like to call it "child-prompted" but whatever. :giggle Anyway, I think maybe ds is nightweaning himself - often, he will do the routine nurse after reading bedtime stories, but then he pulls off and rolls around and ultimately falls asleep without nursing. Then, when he wakes - which has become more frequent, oddly - he just wants to be held for a minute and to touch/hold one of my breasts, but more and more he doesn't nurse to go back to sleep.

Then we'll have a night of non-stop nursing with lots of waking.

Then another couple of nights like described above.

And he is actually *really* restless and not sleeping well during this - could that be his own personal way of doing night weaning? :shrug

Soliloquy
01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Yes, it could be . . . only time will tell. Any chance he has a cold or ear infection? The only reason I ask is because you wrote that he's restless and not sleeping well.

herbalwriter
01-22-2008, 08:16 PM
See, that was my first thought - something must be wrong - but ds said nothing ached or hurt and, not because I don't trust him but because ds doesn't like to admit hurts for some reason, I gave him Tylenol to see if it helped. It did one night but not the next. I tried Calms Forte and all the "usual" remedies for a good night's sleep, including exercise, and there was no consistency in these remedies like their usually is. :shrug I thought maybe 3 year molars, but when pain reliever didn't help... :shrug

Katigre
01-22-2008, 08:25 PM
That sounds like nightweaning to me - when DS started doing that I followed his cues and encouraged it.

The restlessness makes me think he might be ready to sleep separately (maybe for part of the night)? I know my friends who coslept said that when their kids stopped sleeping as well with them and they tried a separate bed it worked really well - it was a sign they were ready.

herbalwriter
01-22-2008, 08:28 PM
That's encouraging. :)

Actually, ds sleeps better once I come to bed (he has a side-carred crib). But still, I sense we're ready to try some sleeping in his own bed - once I get his room cleaned out and the bed set up. :doh Right now the room that is supposed to be his bedroom is a total shambles - like a storage room. :shifty

Katigre
01-22-2008, 08:30 PM
(Are there 3 year molars? :think I thought there were 1 year, 2 year, 6 year, 12 year, and wisdom teeth)

milkmommy
01-22-2008, 08:45 PM
time will tell but it sounds very similiar to how Cecilia weaned. She like had to hold a boob or would latch on and latch right back off going all done! She'd alos suddenly act like she had no idea how to nurse then went through a period where my milk was "water" and then it ended.

Deanna

herbalwriter
01-23-2008, 06:00 PM
(Are there 3 year molars? :think I thought there were 1 year, 2 year, 6 year, 12 year, and wisdom teeth)

I thought so - but what do I know? :giggle I would be thrilled beyond belief if I didn't have to think about teething for another 2.5 years!!!!

Milkmommy, that does sound like my ds...

pastelsummer
01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
umm have some one check his ears Alot of kids this year have had severe ear infections ( my niece and daughter being 2) and haven't showed any signs or symptoms. We only found out at the well child checks when the dr said oh she has a nasty ear infection and my niece had to have antibiotics.

herbalwriter
01-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Wow, really? Ds has never been prone to ear infections, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have been planning on calling to schedule a check up for a week or two...I'd better get on it. :)