PDA

View Full Version : I realized something really sad this morning.....

hey mommy
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Y'day after church I went shopping w/my friend across the street and her two kids, ages 16 months and 5.5 years old. This morning, while attempting to get C to lay down in bed and snuggle w/us, I realized that shopping w/my friends 2 kids was easier than shopping w/my one. My one is more hyper and wild and crazy than the 2 of hers put together.

Have I done something wrong or is he just extremely energetic? Or both?

milkmommy
01-21-2008, 11:18 AM
:shrug Do you start out the shopping experience by saying okay were going inside you may run wild through the issles grap everything off the sehlfs and yes I'll buy you candy at the end :lol or do you establish rules and help him to meet those boundries. some kids are more hyper and a parent will need to know this and as best she/he can adjust so needs are met.
Cecilia has to ride in the cart shes just too hyper walking in most cases. She gets stuck in her own world doesn't pay attention and it gives me a huge headace so all trips over were getting milk she goes int the cart she can sing talk I will hand her evry item to put in back and if its the major trip she even gets to choose a lolipop at the checkout. :shifty So while I've been with parents whos kids stay right with the parent and its a picture perfect moment that as of now just isn't our reality :shrug Its not because I "allow" her to be wild and run she just needs firmer boundries as of now.. As shes matures shes getting better..

Deanna

mom2jolakeil
01-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I think it's personality. Johannah has always been great. Laura had moments as a toddler and still will sometimes whine. Kendra is just wild. Ilana is just intense. We should go shopping with my 4, you'll feel better ;) (I'm only kidding, I HATE taking all of them! LOL!). We should really just go alone :yes

hey mommy
01-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes, of course I set boundries before get there. I go over the the rules before we even get in the store, and remind him of them while we are in the store. Even riding in the cart he's hyper. He sits there shaking it and moving it and trying to jump(of course I don't let him get away w/it, but he does it.. And our shopping trips are no less than 2-3 hours long b/c of where we live). Honestly, it's not just stores. He's wild all the time. He is getting better and can sit down when he really needs to(dr's appts and stuff), but for the most part, he's just WILD. Even my friends look at him and say "wow, he has a LOT of energy, doesn't he?".. Umm, YEs, he does...

Sarah, we really should go shopping together. Um, childless. LOL.

WanderingJuniper
01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
My gut reaction was "you're not doing anything wrong." I find it much easier to shop with my younger 2 than to go shopping alone with my oldest.

klpmommy
01-21-2008, 11:31 AM
I think it might be a 5 y/o boy thing. :yes P used to be easier at the store than he is now. Now he is all over the place, I have to do so much more parenting than I used to & I am :crazy by the time I leave. My IRL bf has twin 5 y/o boys & she has noticed that recently hers have gotten more intense, too.

Marsha
01-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I find shopping w/my 2 year old easier than my 5 yo. So, I think it's the kid!!

hey mommy
01-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Right now he's going through this thing where he thinks he's the boss and can be as demanding as he wants to be. It's not going over well and I'm ready to ship him off somewhere.

mom2jolakeil
01-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Right now he's going through this thing where he thinks he's the boss and can be as demanding as he wants to be. It's not going over well and I'm ready to ship him off somewhere.

Kendra thinks the same thing and has since she was 2 when she informed me she was her OWN mommy (and I informed her she was doing a bad job :shifty). Dh has been teasing the girls that they aren't really ours and they came from the circus or nomads (I can't keep it straight but he and the girls can and they think it's hilarious). So, Kendra has informed me she wants to go to her real parents and I'm about willing to find them for her ;)

klpmommy
01-21-2008, 01:09 PM

sounds just like P. Seriously, I have come *this* close to thinking about PS rather than HS in recent very tiring days.

RealLifeMama
01-21-2008, 01:15 PM
FWIW, I think we all might tend to look at other people's children as "easier" than ours- we do not have the emotional involvement that makes us seem to notice every detail that they are doing wrong.
Also, most children seem to behave better for other adults than for their own parents.

WanderingJuniper
01-21-2008, 01:20 PM
FWIW, I think we all might tend to look at other people's children as "easier" than ours- we do not have the emotional involvement that makes us seem to notice every detail that they are doing wrong.
Also, most children seem to behave better for other adults than for their own parents.

I think there is a great deal of truth in that.

I asked Bear about the second point you make. Her response was "You have to love me, they don't and I want them to like me." She was referring to her grandma, aunt and our family friends.

milkmommy
01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
agreed I'm also umm blessed ;) with the child who is ussually a perfect little angle with guests and a LOT more hyper at home :shifty.. Unless shes visiting Crystals kids then shes like totally relaxed and totally on the go :lol

Deanna

hey mommy
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Well, I spend a lot of time at her house, so I know how her kids are both away and at home. They're the same. She is blessed w/a calm, compliant girl(the 5.5 year old). her boy (the 16.5 month old) is a little more active, but not too bad. Not like C was/is though. 5 year old is bossy but that's about it...

milkmommy
01-22-2008, 12:17 AM
She is blessed w/a calm, compliant girl(the 5.5 year old).

Ahh wear is the fun in that? ;)

Deanna

hey mommy
01-22-2008, 08:10 AM
She is blessed w/a calm, compliant girl(the 5.5 year old).

Ahh wear is the fun in that? ;)

Deanna

Oh, but she is SUPER bossy, so what she lacks in energy, she makes up for in mouthiness(is that a word?).

BriansLovie
01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Try not to compare! Every child is different. :yes

beatlemommy
02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, my kids are angels in stores. I don't know why :scratch So if you saw us, you would think WOW, such well behaved kids. :shiftyHome is a very different story, mealtimes are a different story. Most children are not well behaved or compliant all of the time. My 5 year old is definitely my hard one right now, very bossy like you said. Very frustraing I know, I am hoping it is a phase :hugheart

Jeanette598
02-05-2008, 02:59 PM

Jumping in late here, but I completely agree with this. I taught my dd's preschool class at church on Sunday, and I had to step back to realize that I was jumping on her for behavior that I would have easily redirected if it came from another child in the class. :O