PDA

View Full Version : Is it necessary to keep records?

Heather Micaela
01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
If you HS independently (as defined by your state) do you HAVE to keep records, or this somthing done just for yourself and as a precation? Does it vary from state to state?

I am most likely going independent next year rather than a charter and one of the reasons is I hate having to interpret life into a lesson plan, even though it is still written after the fact. I would love to go to the zoo, enjoy the day, know the kids are learning, and leave it at that - not have to write down "Talked about how animal coloring creates camoflague"

My ds gets resistant to learning if he knows it is "a lesson." Now he loves his journal where many an expereince is summarized. And those will be kept forever. So will cool projects and other samples. BUt how important is it to write down what counted as PE for the day, or exactly what book I read him, etc?

Rabbit
01-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Unless your state has a requirement that you document lessons and attendance, I wouldn't think keeping track of what you did is important. Keeping journals, portfolios, samples of work, etc., with clear labels so that you can remember what was done, how it was done, when it was done, and why it was done, would be very useful. It's the best "proof" of learning, which more important than proof of teaching.

ArmsOfLove
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
It all depends on the laws of your state :)

here we don't have to keep any records at all. BUT I cannot expect that we will be here until every child graduates--we might be, but I have no idea :shrug So I keep what could be considered loose records. I keep tests; I keep the Math U See "book graduation" page from each book; I keep projects, or at least pictures of them :). As they get older I'll have more organized "plans" that I can keep notes on that show what they are learning and I'll keep those, at least on the computer.

Mama Calidad
01-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Required records do vary by state/country. I keep records primarily so that I can repeat the lessons with C down the road without having to do all the planning again. :lol I keep a planning sheet where I write my ideas down and a printout of the library books we checked out that week from the library. I imagine CA's laws are somewhat different, though. :grin

ETA: I do keep a binder with projects they've done, but that's for the kids' benefit for me rather than for recordkeeping purposes.

Dana Joy
01-14-2008, 02:54 PM
If you are going on your own here in CA- you have to registar yourself as a private school- (real easy). So you are subject to the laws that apply to private school record keeping- which are real simple- a list of courses of study, immunization records or exemptions for all students, qualifications of the teacher, (a simple resume of mom will do) and attendance.

Heather Micaela
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
If you are going on your own here in CA- you have to registar yourself as a private school- (real easy). So you are subject to the laws that apply to private school record keeping- which are real simple- a list of courses of study, immunization records or exemptions for all students, qualifications of the teacher, (a simple resume of mom will do) and attendance.

gonna spin this :)