PDA

View Full Version : How do you cosleep?

DoulaClara
12-05-2007, 07:15 AM
:smile As in, what the heck position do you spiral your spine in during the night? We like co-sleeping, and Gianna will only cosleep currently (previously, she spent about 75% of the night in the cosleeper, but our trip to NY and back while teething screwed that all up) which is grand... if only I could actually sleep. For a few nights this week, I was thinking DH was going to have to duct tape me into the sitting position. Here's how it currently looks:

- Bath and massage. New diaper, onesie, and sleep sack (or pajamas). Nurse on one side. She passes out cold. I set her next to me, and she springs back into action. Nurse on the other side. She's out again. Set her down.

- She writhes like a fish, flipping herself all over with her eyes closed. I lay down next to her on my left side, and she jams herself face-first into me. I pick her up, lay her on sort of a semi-perpendicular next to me, put my left arm under the pillow, and try to sleep. I also bend my legs up like a sitting position to sort of help prop her in place.

- For the next many hours, she wiggles and flops, using her head to gain momentum, so that she can jam herself really tightly next to me, and usually nearly shears off a nipple in the process- ouch. Snapping my bra shut is useless- she shrieks like a banshee if she finds (with her scratchy, thrashing hands) that it's covered. To save my own sanity, I use my hand as a block. She also arches her back until she smushes her head against the pillow I thought I cleverly kept out of her reach above my head. I re-position, re-position, re-position. During this time, she's also popping on and off her latch, nursing like she's starving, and then abruptly stopping.

Here's an important point- I'm a pretty small cup size. I have to lean on my left (and squish my arm) to nurse her. We balance like this until she's finished, and I relax. Um, oops, she's decided she wants more after all. Repeat, repeat, repeat. By the time DH's alarm goes off at 5:45, my rear is numb, my arm is numb and my back hurts like crazy. My neck kills, and I need an Advil just to be able to stumble into the shower.

So, thank the Lord for naps, both AM and PM (and sometimes PM II) Our bed is a queen, and there is no chance of a larger one now. Any good ideas for ways I can sleep in such a way that I don't form a hump in my back by age 30?

Lavender Lily
12-05-2007, 07:41 AM
:hug2
With ds, I had to sleep facing him, the minute I turned he would start waking up. :shrug this went from birth on to about when he turned 1 y/o. I had to learn the art of nursing from both breasts on one side.
With dd2, She was more flexable, I could turn my back on her (after she was done and fast asleep) and she wouldn't mind.
I can easily fall asleep after dd2 is latched on, on my side...I just get my legs in a position (bent) that I know I won't role over on her when I fall asleep. To feed her from the other breast on the same side, I just lean more toward her as if to lay on my stomach but still on my side. Inner leg straight while outer leg bent KWIM. Maybe someone else can explain it better then me.
With ds, I used to flip him from one side to the other but after a while that got tiring. Now that ds is on the other side of me, I try to keep them separate since ds tends to be a heavy sleeper. I caught him one time rolling over dd2, completely freaked me out.