PDA

View Full Version : Getting a newborn back to sleep after night feedings

Calliope
12-03-2007, 11:21 AM
I have to wake up little Reed at about 2 or 3 AM for a feeding - otherwise, he'll sleep until he wakes up famished and hysterical. Unfortunately, after I wake him and feed him, it takes a hour or more to get him back to sleep. Last night, we went from 2 AM to 5 AM. :yawn He seems asleep when he's done nursing, but he becomes wide awake the second I lay him down, even if I lay him down beside me.

I tried nursing him in bed last night (I do this to start the night and he falls asleep fine) but it's like he can't figure out how to do it in the middle of the night. He can't find/recognize the nipple even if it's in his mouth. He spits it out. Sucks for a second and then falls asleep and falls off - all the while making lots of grunty, fussy noises that wake my poor working hubby. He just does better nursing-wise if I pick him and feed him in my rocker.

Any ideas on how to get him back to sleep after a middle of the night feeding? I tried "wearing him down" to sleep in my sling two night ago, but he STILL woke up. Help.

schmamy
12-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't have any advice on this, but did want to say that to give the nursing-lying-down thing a try again in a couple of weeks. We didn't get the hang of it until at least 3-4 weeks. :hugheart

Calliope
12-03-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't have any advice on this, but did want to say that to give the nursing-lying-down thing a try again in a couple of weeks. We didn't get the hang of it until at least 3-4 weeks. :hugheart

The weird thing is, he can do it fine at other points of the day and on the other breast at any time no problem. Something about my left breast and the middle of the night doesn't work for him. :think I would always use the right, if I could, but that one is already hyperactive as it is.

klpmommy
12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
:hug2

If nothing else, he will start to get the idea of day/night soon. Just make sure that first thing in the morning you expose him to sunlight (through windows is fine) & then at night keep it darker. Even if you do nothing, this will pass on its own in a few weeks.

How are you waking him? Are you actually waking him or will he nurse while he sleeps? At least nurse enough to keep him from waking up famished & screaming? I do that with S when *I* need her to nurse.

Calliope
12-03-2007, 12:02 PM
How are you waking him? Are you actually waking him or will he nurse while he sleeps? At least nurse enough to keep him from waking up famished & screaming? I do that with S when *I* need her to nurse.

He can't seem to figure out how to latch on in his sleep, so I actually have to wake him and then try and keep him awake or he just slides off the nipple. I hate having to wake him, but his "too frustrated to suck" cry is worse. :(

illinoismommy
12-06-2007, 07:10 PM
I agree that it sounds like he has his days and nights confused if he wants to spend so much time awake at night....