PDA

View Full Version : help! injury questions....

mamaKristin
11-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Last night, our son took a fall in the shower (which is why we tell him not to 'run' in there :doh). Anyhow, he bit partially through his lip, and his top two teeth are wiggly. :jawdrop I was out when it happened, poor DH who doesn't do well with blood said it looked like a scene from a gory movie. DS's lip is looking ok, but I'm concerned about his teeth.

I'm planning to call a dentist in town and see if he will look at the teeth, but I was wondering if anyone has had this happen before, and has some words of wisdom or tips or anything. Will the dentist want to pull his teeth? (that worries me, I didn't lose teeth until I was almost 8, and I can't imagine him missing front teeth that long. :/). Anyone been through this with their kids?

klpmommy
11-18-2007, 07:57 PM
:hug2

E has only one front tooth & has been that way for over a year. It doesn't seem to effect her. And it is kind of cute.

mamaKristin
11-18-2007, 09:18 PM
bumping...anyone? :shifty

AdrienneQW
11-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Dexter fell in the shower when he was 20mo and put his teeth through his lower lip. ITU about the gory movie comparison... it was a bloody mess. We took him to the ER because I'm a paranoid fool when it comes to the kids getting hurt, but he didn't end up getting any treatment. They would have had to knock him out for stitches, so we chose not to do that.

http://photos.imageevent.com/aqwphoto/placeholder/small/20mInjured.jpg
Awwwww, my poor boy! :cry You can see where his teeth went all the way through under his bottom lip... this happened 4+ years ago, and he still has a scar there.

http://photos.imageevent.com/aqwphoto/placeholder/small/20mInjured2.JPG
Ignore the yogurt face. :giggle This is how the wound looked as it started to heal on the inside.

I can't imagine the dentist pulling your DS's teeth for being wiggly, but I just don't know. :think I sure hope your little man is feeling okay and everything works out. :pray4

Six Little Feet
11-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Not me but my friend DD lost both her top teeth but they feel out. If his teeth are just wiggly I think that there is a chance theny can firm up.

oh look

http://www.rogerknapp.com/medical/tooth_knocked_out.htm

and

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/tooth_injury.asp

I will try to call ya...

expatmom
11-19-2007, 07:15 AM
I don't think a dentist would pull teeth. I think he/she would watch & see.

When ds fell (multiple times) and chipped his teeth, the dentist told be it was better to chip then to bang them in because the impact would be absorbed in the chip rather then the smooshed in tooth. He didn't mention wiggly though. I would think if it was wiggly, that might actually be better then a shoved in tooth.

I think you'll just have to watch & see what happens. At least he is getting close to the age when those teeth should naturally fall out, so maybe he has just helped them along a bit.

blessedwithboys
11-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Even if the teeth are dead (due to root damage from the fall) I doubt the dentist will pull them unless they start to cause pain. I fell on an airport floor in Japan and knocked my front tooth completely out when I was three. My Dad stuck it back in the hole :jawdrop and took me to a dentist when we got back to the states. The dentist left it as a "space holder" for my adult tooth. So, when I was around 7 or 8 and the new tooth started coming in they scheduled me to have the gray dead tooth removed.

expatmom
11-20-2007, 12:24 PM
How is your son's teeth now? Any new news?

mamaKristin
11-21-2007, 03:04 PM
thanks everyone! he's good. we saw the dentist today, and despite not being able to get all the x-rays they hoped to (strong gag reflex, and he couldn't handle biting down on the film), all looks good. :phew

The teeth are still loose, but don't seem to have caused any damage - praise God! :heart

His lip is, well, ugly and fat still, but is healing.

klpmommy
11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
I have a strong gag reflex, too. It is hard to get dental x-rays on me unless they are FAST b/c I will spit that thing out gagging.

I am so glad that the teeth have no damage. :hug