PDA

View Full Version : Need list for dad

mommylove
11-15-2007, 03:42 PM
DH is going to take over the bedtime routine. This is a change, as DS is always nursed to sleep by myself. I'm too tired to do this any longer. DS is 17-mos. btw.

DH wants me to find an article or list of things he can do to comfort DS to sleep. Right now, if DS isn't nursed, he screams, screams, screams. Last night he screamed for at least an hour, while DH was lying next to him, rubbing his back. I was in another room. Finally I couldn't handle it any longer & nursed him down. I know, great job, Mom. :rolleyes

If anyone could point us to an article or give us some tips, we'd be appreciative.

TIA.

Victorious
11-15-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't have an article, but I'll tell you what works for us *sometimes* other than nursing.

Walks in the stroller (we live in TX so this can be year-round).
Sling walks
Drives in the car
Rocking
Bouncing on an exercise ball
Singing (this only worked once ;) )
White noise (we have a recording of our vacuum)
Rhythmic patting or back rubs

I don't know if any of these are a possibility, but I didn't want to leave you unanswered.

I'll look and see if I can find an article.

Firebird Rising
11-15-2007, 10:09 PM
You know, we night-weaned, but I still nurse DS to sleep at night before DH takes over. I found that after night-weaning, DS goes to sleep MUCH quicker than he did before. He will nurse for a few minutes then when I say we're done, he rolls off and about 10 min later, we're done. Three months ago, I would have never believed I'd say that. DS was nursing every 45-90 min throughout the night, taking at least an hour to fall asleep and screaming if I tried to unlatch him before he was done.

I really don't have much more than that to offer you. Perhaps that approach might work if the daddy putting to bed doesn't. If you are interested in night-weaning, I have lots of advice for that, however :)

Jen D.

mommylove
11-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Jen --

I AM interested in nightweaning. DS is fighting an ear infection & a cold, but the plan is that once he's feeling better, we'll follow Dr. Jay Gordon's plan. I'll take any advice you can offer!

Firebird Rising
11-16-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm running to work soon so I will have to come back to this. If I don't get back on here by the time the board closes, send me a pm or bump this thread and I'll remember.

Jen d.

klpmommy
11-16-2007, 09:00 AM
If he screamed for at least an hour- even with Dad there, I think you did the absolute right thing to go in & nurse him to sleep.

I found that nightweanign made me not feel so frustrated with nursing to sleep & it actually made it easier to wean her from nrusing to sleep later on b/c she didn't nurse back to sleep.

:hug

oh- to answer your question- a drive in the car was always our backup plan for sleep.

tree_hugger
11-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Jen --

I AM interested in nightweaning. DS is fighting an ear infection & a cold, but the plan is that once he's feeling better, we'll follow Dr. Jay Gordon's plan. I'll take any advice you can offer!

How would you feel about waiting until he's feeling better? The jaw action of nursing is so good for relieving ear aches and a blocked nose.

My DH used to bounce on an exercise ball with our babies to get the off to sleep. :heart

mommylove
11-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Jen --

How would you feel about waiting until he's feeling better? The jaw action of nursing is so good for relieving ear aches and a blocked nose.

My DH used to bounce on an exercise ball with our babies to get the off to sleep. :heart

Yeah, we're waiting until he's feeling better . . .

Firebird Rising
11-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Here's a link to our experiences with night-weaning. http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=136359.15 Things are going REALLY well right now. He nurses twice a day, once for naptime and once for bedtime. He is happy and attached to daddy very much now. Last night was hard because we're fighting off a cold and I just don't have any milk to give him. Otherwise, this has been a very positive experience for us.

Good luck in your journey and if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Jen D.