PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning 1 yr old to own bed

Linnis
11-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I can't co-sleep anymore. Neither DH or I are getting much if any sleep. DS moves too much and I spend half the night with his foot in my kidney or getting smacked in the face.

How do I transition him to a bed in our room?

So far I'm getting controlled crying advice and I don't want to go that route.

CapeTownMommy
11-10-2007, 12:40 PM
What kind of bed do you have in mind? A normal single bed, or a crib of some kind? If it's an adult bed (probably with rails), can you sleep in it with him for a few nights or a few hours a night at the beginning? Just until it is less strange. Also, is there space in your room to push his bed right up next to yours? Then he probably won't feel strange about it in the beginning.

The other option you could try is to move his naps to the new bed for a week or two before you make the night-time move.

Hope this helps. :hug2

AmyDoll
11-10-2007, 01:25 PM
how about a side carred crib that you can roll him into?

Linnis
11-11-2007, 06:15 PM
He has a play yard at the foot of our bed. He did have a crib but he was chewing the paint off of it in the mornings before waking me up so it's gone now.

I can't roll him into it because he'll drop like two feet.

2sunshines
11-11-2007, 06:17 PM
we started the transition by putting a toddler bed right next to our bed. Put child to sleep in our bed then transition to toddler bed. Step two, put child to sleep in toddler bed (with mom laying in big bed next to him/her).

Firebird Rising
11-11-2007, 07:49 PM
We put a few blankets on the floor and DS slept there for about 4 months (until we night-weaned and he ended up in the king bed with daddy while I sleep in the other room. We did everything we would usually do before bed-time, we just ended up on the floor bed and had him sleep there until around 4:00 and then brought him into bed with us for the rest of the night.

I don't know if I'm any help, maybe I shouldn't have responded.

Jen D.

MarynMunchkins
11-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I've had the most luck with using a mattress on the floor, and nursing them down. Then I get up and move. (Or dh wakes me up later. :giggle)

By 14-18 months, mine have been able to toddle into my room in the middle of the night and let me know they need in my bed. We do that until they're consistently sleeping all night. Even a few hours alone in my bed makes a big difference for me. :)

Linnis
11-11-2007, 08:32 PM
I've have done the mattress thing but DS won't stay on it. He's fall off every 2-3 minutes. Not to mention what he'd do if he got up before me...I need to keep him contained until we move and he has his own room with no dangerous things for him to do.

I've decided to wait to make the switch until after his ear infection is gone. He just slept 3 hours from 4:30-7:30 so uh bedtime is completely shot.

Yeah, I'm not asking for 12 hours of sleep in his bed without a peep but 4 hours of sleep without DS kicking me.

MarynMunchkins
11-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Being sick would definitely throw things off. :yes

My brother used a crib mattress with a tent cover when his oldest was 10-11 months, and it worked wonderfully. It kept him contained and my nephew was happy to climb into the tent. :tu Could you try something like that in the corner of your room?

Linnis
11-15-2007, 08:39 PM
I took out No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers and Night time parenting from the library and will read them and hopefully by then, the latest ear infection and the tooth will be behind us.

kiloyd
11-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I put mine on a mattress on the floor and slept with them as needed, which might be all night, or just half the night. I would nurse them to sleep and then I could get up, moving them would wake them up.

I too understand how nice it is just to get a couple hours without them in bed.

I hope those books give you good ideas. :hugheart