PDA

View Full Version : nighttime diapering a toddler who's a heavy wetter

Naked Camper
10-31-2007, 09:06 AM
suggestions ladies?
Right now we use sposies at night but those are leaking come morning. If I change him at 6am (we put a diaper on around 8:30pm) we don't have wet sheets, but it seems like the sheets are wet more often than not.

I'm willing to buy some cloth if they'll stand up to a heavy wetter at night. I've never tried our bG double stuffed - I guess it'd be worth a try :think I just figure if he's soaking a sposie, then I'm not holding out much hope that a bG is going to do the trick.

What have you used for your heavy wetter?

2sunshines
10-31-2007, 09:44 AM
I'd try the bg double stuffed since that's what you have on hand.

But honestly, I think the best nighttime combo is a good fitted dipe and a thick wool cover. You can sew right? You could probably pretty easily make your own recycled wool longies or a soaker. :yes I know that we have instructions in this forum.

blessedwithboys
10-31-2007, 09:47 AM
When ds1 was that age he slept in a bg 1.0 w/ 2 cb os inserts and a hemp doubler in it. A premium prefold with a infant prefold and a microfiber fleece topped doubler under a prorap would be super effective and cheap too (I use a less stuffed version for my 5 month old at night and it's barely damp in the morning when a bg might have wicked).

Naked Camper
10-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks, I'll try the bG tonight. We use cb inserts. I don't have any hemp inserts.

My only concern about the fitted diaper (and why I switched away from using prefolds) is that I really don't like how the wet material sits on his skin. I like having that layer of fleece or suedecloth wicking the moisture away.

2sunshines
10-31-2007, 10:42 AM
You could always cut out a piece of fleece or microsuede and put it inside the fitted diaper next to his skin. I do that inside my prefolds at night sometimes. Keeps her skin totally dry. :yes

Naked Camper
10-31-2007, 11:29 AM
yeah, i've though of that....too much work :phew :wink

Moon
10-31-2007, 11:35 AM
I couldn't stuff a pocket full enough when my super soaker was in diapers. :shrug It took an all hemp diaper, with hemp pocket stuffers as doublers, under thick wool to keep our sheets dry at night. (This was the boy who could pee through a cpf with doubler if he didn't have a cover on. He'd literally be standing in a puddle.)

2sunshines
10-31-2007, 11:44 AM
putting a layer of fleece next to baby's skin is actually WAY less work than stuffing a pocket in my experience. :shrug

blessedwithboys
10-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks, I'll try the bG tonight. We use cb inserts. I don't have any hemp inserts.

If he's a heavy wetter I'd either try another mf insert (something small maybe? Though I've heard of people who can get three cb inserts in there!) or a preemie prefold/plain old wash cloth in addition to the 2 cb inserts.