PDA

View Full Version : New to Pocket Dipes and need help stripping (them, not me!)

homesteadmama
10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
So DD is 9mo and I haven't stripped her dipes once :doh. We are in larges, after whipping through the smalls and mediums at the speed of light (she grew into 18-24 mo clothes by 5mo and has been 24lbs since about 7mo). My larges are at their wit's end. Tonight we were at some friends' house and DH kept saying, "I smell poop....what is that smell?....is it mold?" They smell so moldy and yucky, and they didn't have poop in them. The smell just happens when they get wet. Has anyone else had this problem? I think it is because I throw them wet into a wet bag and leave them there until I wash them (a couple/few days later). So what am I supposed to store them in while dirty awaiting the laundry? And where do I buy it? I need links please. :yes

I saw the sticky here on "talk to me about stripping cloth dipes" and read through that, but I have some questions:
1) does the mold smell mean "needs stripping"?
2) I use Happy Hieny's and don't want to mess up the cute prints, but I think that the bleach solution sounds easiest and best (and I'm not opposed to using bleach). Will it lighten my prints? Probably, I'm guessing :scratch
3) I really don't want to spend all day scrubbing and boiling and such...can you give me ideas that can be quick, or at least things I can do in the dishwasher/washing machine?

They are in right now on Super Wash (I have a high efficiency front load that has a 2 hour cycle that I always use on my dipes). I put in two scoops of oxyclean (usually just put one scoop in each load) and some vinegar. I put it in before I read the sticky about how that's not the best thing to do with hard water, which I have. I also have been using Costco detergent, and just switched back to Tide for this load (I try to switch between the two brands).

I don't live near Wal-Mart, so I can't buy all those things that are recommended. We have no chain stores in my county, but I can drive 20 minutes to go to Target, if you think they will have something that helps. I also don't have any liquid dishwasher detergent in the house right now, but can go buy it if necessary. I'd like to use what I have around the house, but I don't know if I have what it takes.

Please help! :banghead

Happygrl
11-01-2007, 01:24 PM
If you don't have Dawn, then I'd think the simplest method would be to put the clean diapers into the dishwasher (no soap). Have you tried that?

Mother of Sons
11-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Well first you need some sexy music...

lol, anyways. I never did anything fancy with mine, I just did a wash with vinegar, no soap, then I kept on washing over and over with nothing (no soap, no vinegar or additives etc.) until there are no soap suds in the wash. That's worked the best for me. I don't remember the last time I did it though, for some reason this time around I haven't had too much of a problem. If you don't see suds in the first couple of washes then build up isn't the problem

blessedwithboys
11-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Hard water + vinegar = stink. :( I'd skip all the additives in the future. The costco detergent should be fine. Since you already have stink, try filling up the washer all the way w/o any diapers in it (take them out after your cold rinse) and add 1/4 c. of bleach. Add the detergent and let it agitate for just a minute, then open it back up and put the diapers in. It won't lighten the prints much if at all. Wash on hot cycles until you don't see bubbles (3 or 4 should do it). The stink should go away.

The mold smell probably means that the need to be washed more often- like every night, or at least every other night. Every other day is my usual limit. Since you have a HE washer it should adjust for your load size, right? Also, how much detergent are you using? People often don't use *enough* detergent.

FWIW I've got hard water and I don't have to strip my diapers. I do a cold rinse, hot wash, cold rinse. I use powdered Tide up to the lowest line on the cup. I don't even look for bubbles 99% of the time- no need to if your diapers smell and work fine. I've had to use bleach before though on dipes that got forgotten in the car :blush or that I've bought used. The diapers work fine and I can't tell which ones they are in my rotation.

homesteadmama
11-01-2007, 01:45 PM
If you don't have Dawn, then I'd think the simplest method would be to put the clean diapers into the dishwasher (no soap). Have you tried that?

nope, haven't tried that yet.

Also Mama2babyE said to fill the washer and do all the other stuff, but I can't fill it becuase it's a front load. Unless you know something I don't know :shrug I would think opening it up to put the dipes in would cause a flood in my laundry room.

...and I'm looking for that sexy music. :giggle

I think maybe I just need to wash more often, and try the no soap thing to get the suds out. I was reminded by all your "suds" comments that I did see my washer say "suds" the last couple of times I've washed the dipes. That probably means there's just soap stuck in the dipes? I'll try that.

Thanks for all the tips...I'm open to more if anyone else has suggestions.

blessedwithboys
11-01-2007, 01:52 PM
hmmm, yeah- filling the washer could be a problem then! :doh Sorry! I'm not used to front loaders. If it doesn't work try www.diaperswappers.com - a lot of people on the boards there have HE washers.

2sunshines
11-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Yea, I'd just do several hot washes until you see no more suds.