PDA

View Full Version : Would you put him in his own room

2inHeaven2inMontana
10-26-2007, 03:58 AM
ok, it's 4.45am here...I've been awake for an hour...and I don't have my contacts in cuz I don't want to go back in the room again...so with that said.
We sleep wiht our kids in the same room, not the same bed. They used to be right next to us, but would wake up from dh tossing the in the bed etc, so now ds2 crib is at the foot of our bed and ds1 little bed is about 4 ft from our bed. So lately ds1 has been waking at 3am to go pee, fine with me, I take him, but then he doesn't go back to sleep for 1.5 hrs, and tosses and turns. I';m a very light sleeper, so I can't sleep during that whole time. It makes for a very difficult next day and neither of us do well with less sleep. He whines and cries for everything all day. Also ds2 will wake up and make a loud noise, I can settle him fine, but ds1 will wake up from it, and be back to tossing and turning for an hour.
And dh wakes up for work anywhere from 5:30-6:00 and even tho he's very quiet and goes right into our bathroom to get ready, ds2 will usually wake up again and then proceed to have a very grumpy difficult day. I've tried putting him to bed earlier but 7 is the earliest he'll sleep and naps don't work at all.
So this is one of my options...we have a tiny room right next to our room. I was planning t put both of them in it in about 1/2 yr or so. But now I'm thinking it might be better to put him in it now. I don't want ds2 on his own cuz he wakes up and cries and is still in a crib. But I could leave both doors slightly open and he could come to us if needed. I'm thinking this would #1 help him not to wake up, #2 not keep me up for hours if he does wake up. I would do this right away except for that I love having him in the same room...I love hearing them breathe and knowing they are allright, and I like the secure feeling of knowing my kids are safe in the same room as I, and I don't want him to be upset by it. I'm not sure if he would be or not. So if anyone has any other option or any advice, please le tme know. . NOw I'm going back upstairs and hope that he is finally asleep.... :pray4

Mama Calidad
10-26-2007, 04:55 AM
I might consider it for the reason that your husband getting up is waking him. I would not, however, feel in any way safe about having a 2yo awake with no adult supervision.

Personally, I'd try keeping him up later. 7pm is really early to me. It doesn't really seem surprising that he'd feel pretty rested when he woke up at 2...that's already seven hours of sleep. I'd try getting him down closer to 9, limit fluids before bed and make sure he went to the bathroom before bed.

2inHeaven2inMontana
10-26-2007, 09:25 AM
I feel that a 2 yr old needs at least 12 hrs sleep. If he has any less than that, like at 11 hr he would be a basketcase. So 9 hrs of sleep would have him a puddle on the floor crying all day. I just know he needs more sleep than that. Also he does have limited fluids before bed and pees before sleeping and normally would just pee in his diaper, but for some reason has started waking up, I'm not sure if it's the having to go pee or just something else.
I don't think he is staying up because he's had enough sleep. He's done this at 12:00 at night too, or anytime that he fully wakes up. I'm actually the same way, that is why I cannot sleep while he is awake, because I am such a light sleeper, and it often takes me an hour to get back to sleep if something fully wakes me up at night.
Oh, and if he was awake in another room, he would either lay in his bed or come to me. He is totally not the type that would get up and go downstairs and get into something, tho if he did, I am such a light sleeper I would definitely hear him. I woke up this last night just by his feet going pitterpatter on the floor to the bathroom, which is what he does when he has to pee.
I think that we may just keep each other awake, because after he's tossing and turning for 1/2 hr then I start too. When I leave the room for 1/2 hr usually he's sleeping when I come back. That's why I think he may do better in his own room.

klpmommy
10-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I would try the own room- so long as you aren't leaving him to cio it won't hurt to see if it works out for him. :hug

I had a rough night last night, too. :yawn GL finding a solution.

2inHeaven2inMontana
10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
NO, I would not leave him to cio. he's not upset, just awake, he never cries...(when he wakes up at night I mean ;) )
I could always move the bed back to our room if it totally didn't work out.

klpmommy
10-26-2007, 09:36 AM
I didn't mean to imply that you would cio, but sincet this is a public board I wanted to be sure that anyone else reading it was clear on that, kwim? :hug

I say try it, you can always bring him back to your room if it isn't working. :hug

2inHeaven2inMontana
10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
:) thanks

chelsea
10-31-2007, 11:57 AM
Have you tried it? How is it working? :hug2

2inHeaven2inMontana
10-31-2007, 12:10 PM
nope...not yet. I'm still deciding. My dh was gone on a hunting trip over the weekend and I wanted him with me then...and he woke up one night at 2:00 and then went back to sleep I think about 30-40 min later. So maybe it will stop or if it gets more and more often I may try it. I just love having him in the room with me all the rest of the time. THanks for checking up on us. :)