PDA

View Full Version : Starting over with cloth

greenjellysnakes
10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
When I started using cloth with DD, I didn't really have any idea what I was doing. The nappies I bought were decent. They did the job, and are still holding on, but just barely. They've really started to wear out and some are actually falling apart (they are Minappi, an Australian brand, and apparently not so great). Now that I have two in cloth (though I hope one will be in "big girl panties" soon), they are really not holding up to the job. So I basically get to start again with a whole new stash.

I really am just muddling my way in the dark here, and every time I try and research nappies online I get overwhelmed by all the choices/brands etc. I bought a whole bunch of flannel to make my own version of prefolds - a couple of layers of flannel with some terry down the middle for the soaker. Should I go ahead and just make my prefolds? Is there something more absorbent I should use for the soaker instead of terry cloth? What about covers?

If I don't do prefolds, what should I get (and what will I do with all this flannel? :shifty)? We use pocket nappies at night, and while I love the idea of them, I don't think I would want to use them all the time. Stuffing them would annoy me. I also don't think I want to do AIO's, because I've heard they take a long time to dry. So, knowing that, what would you recommend for me? I'm clueless. :/

2sunshines
10-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Have you seen this tutorial? http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=124553.0 It explains the basics of different diaper types.

MaybeGracie
10-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Personally, I love our prefolds and Bummis covers. I can't give you any advice on making them, hopefully someone else can answer your questions there, but I'd definitely recommend prefolds in general. It's what we use all day around the house. They work great, were cheap (of course, you'll be making yours, so that doesn't really factor in), and are easy to care for.

Our other cloth diaper choice is Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers. Stuffing takes me all of two seconds per diaper change. It's just as fast to stuff a pocket as it is to put on a prefold and a cover (probably faster, actually).

I haven't tried AIO's and don't really plan to because I've heard they take forever to dry and don't get as clean because the soaker isn't removable.

Good luck! :)

2sunshines
10-23-2007, 05:35 AM
If you want my biased recommendation, I say prefolds, fitteds, and wool. :yes That's what I use all the time. That's what I love.

At home we do coverless. All the time. Either with prefolds or fitteds, just depending on what I feel like grabbing at the time.

When we go out, I usually throw wool over top. Once in a blue moon I will use a PUL cover, but much more likely to use wool.

After 6 years of cloth diapering, trying different systems, having one be my fave for a while, then the next, I'm finally settled into what works great for us. :yes

greenjellysnakes
10-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Our other cloth diaper choice is Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers. Stuffing takes me all of two seconds per diaper change. It's just as fast to stuff a pocket as it is to put on a prefold and a cover (probably faster, actually).

Do you use them at night? I haven't tried Fuzzi Bunz, though I've heard wonderful things about them. I've been considering some for night time use.

greenjellysnakes
10-23-2007, 03:08 PM
At home we do coverless. All the time. Either with prefolds or fitteds, just depending on what I feel like grabbing at the time.

When we go out, I usually throw wool over top. Once in a blue moon I will use a PUL cover, but much more likely to use wool.

Coverless? How does it not get all over the clothes? Do you just change them as soon as they are wet? Please forgive me for being so clueless :O

MaybeGracie
10-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Do you use them at night? I haven't tried Fuzzi Bunz, though I've heard wonderful things about them. I've been considering some for night time use.

Yes, I use Fuzzi Bunz at night and when we go out. At night I stuff it with a liner and a doubler, and it's always enough to last until morning. I like them. :yes

2sunshines
10-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Coverless? How does it not get all over the clothes? Do you just change them as soon as they are wet? Please forgive me for being so clueless

I don't mind the questions. Feel free to ask away. I asked the same question before. :yes

Well, when she's coverless I don't put pants on her, or yes, her clothes would get wet. In the warmer months I just put her in a diaper and a t-shirt (or just a diaper if it's warm enough), in the cooler months I will put a pair of babylegs on her. I don't take her out of the house like this at all and yes, I change her when she's wet (when she's coverless it's so much easier to actually tell when she's wet).

The benefits for and the reasons I do coverless as much as possible is that it allows the baby's bottom to air out. When you put a PUL or nylon cover, or a sposie for that matter, you are not allowing air to get to baby's bottom. Therefore they are more likely to have issues like rash, yeast, etc. Going coverless has much of the same benefits of having baby go diaperless (to air out) without the potential consequences of having pee or poo on the floor. :giggle Plus, it's easy. :shrug

Which is why I LOVE fitteds and prefolds. You have the option of going coverless or covered. With an aio or a pocket, you don't have that option.