PDA

View Full Version : tell me about AIOs

schmamy
10-22-2007, 12:39 PM
We have four FBs and for the most part, really like them. They are working great for us as a nighttime dipe. I was all set to look for a couple more, but DH told me he is really not a fan of the pocket concept. He thinks it's a pain to take out the insert before tossing in the pail (that part doesn't bother me in the least) and if the inserts are not already put in, he will reach for a sposie instead of putting an FB together :rolleyes2 It's highly ironic to me that unlike most husbands, he prefers the simple PFs and never reaches for anything else, whereas I'm the one who likes the fancy stuff lots better :) I do admit, I find putting the FBs together to be annoying, though.

So, I told him I'd look into trying out AIOs. What brands do you recommend that would be somewhat similar to FBs? They are absorbent enough, and keep DS comfortable enough, that we can usually go all night w/o a diaper change--so that is the main criteria for an AIO for us :)

Those of you who prefer pockets to AIOs, why is that--is it just the longer drying time?

2sunshines
10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
I prefer pockets to aio's because of the shorter drying time. Also, I like that I can throw the inserts in the dryer and line dry the actual pockets really quickly. I personally baby all waterpoof material. :yes But that said, I don't like pockets.

My fave aio (actually, the only one I use on the rare occassion that I use aio's) is the dream eze aio. All organic cotton. Partly sewn in doubler to lessen drying time.

I HATE HATE HATE any aio with an internal soaker. I've had some and those darn things take FOREVER to dry. Plus, you never really get all the moisture out of the inside. And germs. Yuck. The idea of that is just nasty to me. :sick

Is your dh happy with prefolds? Will he use them? Just wondering if you have something that he is happy with why you are considering looking for more. Or are you also interested in aio's

Soliloquy
10-22-2007, 08:34 PM
I don't like AIOs for the drying time. It's not just an extra 10 minutes in the dryer--sometimes it took over an hour in the dryer. Plus I like to line dry in the summer and my AIOs took all day.

I only had one kind, Kushies AIOs. They're inexpensive and fairly popular. You might be able to find one used to give it a try.

I stuff my pocket diapers as soon as they come out of the dryer so it's easier at changes. I have a stash of mixed pockets and CPFs w/ covers.

schmamy
10-23-2007, 04:57 AM
Is your dh happy with prefolds? Will he use them? Just wondering if you have something that he is happy with why you are considering looking for more. Or are you also interested in aio's

He's happy with PFs--and I don't mind them all that much, considering they're the cheapest--but no way would they work at night. DS just wets too much. The FBs work at night, but DH doesn't like them as much, so I was looking for an AIO to use mostly just at night and maybe for outings.

I stuff my pocket diapers as soon as they come out of the dryer so it's easier at changes. I have a stash of mixed pockets and CPFs w/ covers.

Yes, I do this too--just didn't have it done the other night when he reached for a sposie instead b/c the dipes were freshly washed and still in the laundry basket. I still find it somewhat of a pain to stuff them though--it's annoying to try to get the insert in there smoothly and not bunched up anywhere.

2sunshines
10-23-2007, 05:32 AM
Ah, so you're looking for a nighttime solution alternative to pockets.

Ok. I would not recommend aio's for that. Usually they are not your super soaker variety.

For nighttime, honestly, I'd go with a good fitted covered in wool. That combination is pretty much bulletproof. Actually, the wool is the key. I can do almost anything as a diaper as long as I use a good wool over top.

cheri
10-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Well I really like AIO's (Bum Genius) but everyone is right that they do take forever to dry in comparison to my pocket diapers. It usually takes over an hour to dry my AIO's. (I have 4 AIO's, so it's not even like I have a big load)

I would NOT use them for overnight diapers because they are not absorbent enough. We use disposables at night, so I'm not the best example, but the only diaper I've found that worked for us at night was a double stuffed pocket. (and obviously that doesn't work all the time or we wouldn't have just given up and used disposables)