PDA

View Full Version : Tossing the front loader

lmgeenw
10-14-2007, 08:18 PM
After 4 years of having clothes that don't get clean, a moldy machine that makes me sick every time I use it, HIGHER water and electric bills (because we have to rewash things so many times), and now once again stinky diapers, we are going to sell our front loader. I have tried everything and nothing works. We just got our water bill and it was 2 1/2 times as much as it was before we had our baby because I have to wash our diaper so many times. :mad

So anyway, I know not all front loaders are bad. Ours is a cheap one, it doesn't have a drain in the front so that the water drains better and it does not heat the water or anything like that.

So, if you have a front loader that you like, I am curious. What kind is it (brand and model) and what features does it have? I have been reading in Consumer's Reports that the new top loaders are breaking down because they can't make them good according to the new energy requirements, so I am leaning toward another front loader. But what ones are good. Does yours heat water and get your diapers clean? Do you ever notice a musty or moldy smell?

Katigre
10-14-2007, 08:26 PM
We have had a Kenmore He3 frontloader for 3 years now and have never had a problem. We wash our cloth diapers in it too. No moldy smells, clothes get nice and clean. We bought it back when front loaders with heaters were new and a lot more $$ so ours doesn't have an internal heater (that would be a nice feature to have!!!) but otherwise I love it. Our water bills are great.

For diapers I was using Charlie's Soap and just switched to Tide HE (it has enzymes and a scent which can irritate skin if you are sensitive, but no brighteners or other stuff that causes build-up, and it cleans awesome). For our regular clothes I use All Free-n-Clear (the regular, not HE kind - just a lot less detergent) and i've never had a problem.

The worst thing I can say about our frontloader is that if I am not careful to put baby socks and cloth breastpads into a lingerie bag and wash, with a full load thye can get sucked down to the drain and I have to unclog it - but that is very easy to do. Just take off the bottom panel and untwist the drain cap, take out the clogged items, and voila you're done! Takes 5 minutes and the problem is due entirely to my own carelessness.

We bought our front loader at the Sears Outlet - it has a scratch on the top and a dent on the side and it was 30% cheaper than new in the store (and it was new!).

erh384
10-14-2007, 08:35 PM
:popcorn Moving soon and wanting new appliances in our 200+yo house....

canadiyank
10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I have the HE3t Kenmore washer. It's freakishly awesome. Looks like they have HE5t's (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02647789000P?vName=Appliances&cName=Washers&Dryers&sName=All%20Washers&psid=23175514&sid=IDx20070921x00003a) out now. Mine was a baby gift from my folks, and we got it through a friend who is a contractor, so it was substantially cheaper. :tu Still, I would pay full price for it, it really is fantastic, I imagine the 5t is even better. Mine has the onboard heater and I used it for dipes. If the dipes were really dirty I'd do a "quick wash" with no spin and then wash on sanitary cycle. My favourite detergent is 7th Generation Free and Clear. I have also used Tide HE F&C, both regular and concentrated, and like it fine, Shaklee, Bi-O-Kleen, Ecover, and several others, with no problems. The only time I get a musty or moldy smell is if I leave things in there too long, but that happened with my top loader, too. I always leave the door open to air dry, too.

Soliloquy
10-14-2007, 09:25 PM
:popcorn

It seems people either LOVE or HATE their frontloader. It does seem that having an internal water heater and a sanitary cycle is important. I think you have to spend a lot to get a good one. :/ I know that in Europe people ONLY have frontloaders. When we were there our clothes got so amazingly clean--old, old stains came out and we were just using plain detergent.

We always look at Consumer Reports before buying an appliance. Most libraries have all the back copies.

Katigre
10-15-2007, 08:16 AM
I always leave the door open to air dry, too.
:yes Me too.

allisonintx
10-15-2007, 08:26 AM
We have the cheapest Kenmore front loading model.

lmgeenw
10-15-2007, 09:03 AM
I've been looking around and there is no way we can spend $1500 or more on a frontloader. I did check consumers reports but they don't recommend any of the less expensive ones. I dont' think there is a scratch and dent store around here. Maybe I will look around for a used top loader. I am really going to miss using so little soap and having clothes that stay looking new though! :(

lmgeenw
10-15-2007, 09:07 AM
We have the cheapest Kenmore front loading model.

Does yours have a drain in front Allison? Have you ever smelled anything mustly or moldy and have you washed diapers in it? Sorry so many questions!