PDA

View Full Version : ammonia stink in prefolds...

rebecuna
10-12-2007, 03:06 PM
I moved 2 months ago and went from a front-loader to a top-loader. At the same time I switched from using Charlie's to using Allen's Liquid. Last week our top-loader broke and we got a new front-loader. My dipes started stinking bad maybe a week ago-- pretty toxic after only 8-10 hours in the dry pail. I figured it was time to strip them (I had to do that one other time in 15 months of use). I have now run 12 rinse cycles with extra water and no soap on the new front-loader, and there are STILL suds!!! I'm shocked. Is all this soap REALLY from my diapers?!?! What is my problem?

I started searching online and realized I should be doing hot rinses (I've been doing cold), so that should help a lot. What else? Vinegar? Dawn? I looked at the strippin' dipes sticky but it seemed to be for hard water issues, not stinky dipes.

Any advice?

crunchymum
10-12-2007, 03:15 PM
just subbing for future use, becky... :) i have a front loader too and i'm wondering how it will affect the whole cloth dipe thing.

The Tickle Momster
10-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I know nothing about front loaders but can you use RLR in them? The hard part is that it helps to scoop out the suds. Not sure how that would work with a fl though. :think

cheri
10-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I have similar problems with my front loader. You have to be SO careful about how much detergent you use. I only have enough diapers for one day at a time, so I wash them daily. I use a tiny bit of Charlie's powder. about a teaspoon. If I use any more than that, it does not rinse out after a 2nd rinse. And if I use less, they don't get clean. Even still, I often have to do 3-4 rinses to get all of the suds out.

TBH, I have problems with the front loader in general getting anything (not just diapers) completely rinsed.

lmgeenw
10-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Sorry if I am hijacking here but...

Can you both tell me what kind of front loader you have? We have a Frigidaire Gallery and I totally hate it. It gets nothing clean and no matter what we do, our diapers stink. It also harbors mold and my kids have allergies. We have tried everything are have finally decided to get rid of it.

So, I am wondering if we should go with another front loader (because I know some people love them) or just get a top loader. I LOVE that I can wash tons of laundry at a time and hardly use any soap. It does not save us any energy or water though because I wash so many things more than once. Our front loader doesn't heat its own water or have a drain in the front (it is an older one-about 4 years), so I wonder if another would have a better design.

Any thoughts?

Gentle Journey
10-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Put clean diapers in your dishwasher, if you have one. I read that somewhere and tried it, I could not belieeve how much suds came out! It's all hot water, with a powerful spray. It really works!

crunchymum
10-15-2007, 08:30 AM
leah, if you don't like your front loader, maybe you can check out one of those HE top loaders - the kind without that agitator? i've heard those are really good... :yes

lmgeenw
10-15-2007, 09:05 AM
leah, if you don't like your front loader, maybe you can check out one of those HE top loaders - the kind without that agitator? i've heard those are really good... :yes

I thought about that but consumer's reports doesn't recommend them. They say they are too new and break down a lot. :/

cheri
10-15-2007, 10:38 AM
I have a Kenmore. I don't think the frontloaders are as fabulous as everyone claims. I have to use bleach to clean the thing. That rubber thing always gets mold buildup in it, no matter what I do.

We went to Florida for a week and I used my SIL's regular old toploader. It cleaned my diapers much better than my frontloader that cost 3x as much.

lmgeenw
10-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I have a Kenmore. I don't think the frontloaders are as fabulous as everyone claims. I have to use bleach to clean the thing. That rubber thing always gets mold buildup in it, no matter what I do.

We went to Florida for a week and I used my SIL's regular old toploader. It cleaned my diapers much better than my frontloader that cost 3x as much.

Does it have drain holes in the front and does it heat the water. It seems so odd that some people love them and some people hate them. There must be something to that! :scratch