PDA

View Full Version : poo on covers with PFs

schmamy
10-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Is this pretty much a given? Like although you can use the cover for several wet diapers, you can only use it for one poopy diaper? We're primarily using PFs and BSWW covers--and if DS poops any significant amount it ALWAYS gets on the cover. Doesn't leak past that, but definitely have to throw the cover in the pail. I just wondered if that was standard, or if we were doing something wrong. At first I thought I had to fasten the PF tight enough to avoid leg gaps, but when I tried that it made marks on his waist/legs.

inesperada
10-08-2007, 04:01 PM
If you want to avoid poo on the cover, it will have to be tight enough to avoid leg gaps. The red marks aren't a problem. :)

erh384
10-08-2007, 04:08 PM
When we had this problem with EBF poo early on I'd just quickly handwash the cover in the sink... but we ec'd so I'm not sure how often we'd be washing covers if we didn't.

schmamy
10-08-2007, 04:12 PM
If you want to avoid poo on the cover, it will have to be tight enough to avoid leg gaps. The red marks aren't a problem. :)

They aren't? DH had a fit when he saw marks from how tightly I'd fastened the diaper. I'd think it would feel as uncomfortable as it feels to me when my clothes are too tight...

inesperada
10-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Our fitted dipes always leave red marks, and they've never been a problem. If they were hurting my babe, I'm sure he'd let me know. Everything I've read on cloth diapering sites says that it's normal, so I've always assumed that it is.

Katigre
10-08-2007, 04:17 PM
It's pretty standard in our house - it's rare that a cover doesn't get messy at least a little when he poops. I snappi my prefolds.

2sunshines
10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
My prefolds don't leak poo. Not even ebf poo. But I didn't start with prefolds until dd was about 6 months or so, so that does make a little difference.

Desert Rose
10-08-2007, 04:25 PM
DD was leaking into her covers, too. But a few days ago I started using a Snappi fastener instead of just folding the dipe and putting it into the cover and she hasn't leaked since. :)

schmamy
10-08-2007, 04:32 PM
we do use a Snappi--we never just lay the dipe in the cover.

Our fitted dipes always leave red marks, and they've never been a problem. If they were hurting my babe, I'm sure he'd let me know. Everything I've read on cloth diapering sites says that it's normal, so I've always assumed that it is.

that's true...as much as he lets me know that he's wet, I guess he wouldn't stand for it if the diaper was too tight and making him uncomfortable :) I hadn't read anything about red marks.

shercurrie
10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
The way I think about red marks is, even if my bra is comfortable, when I take it off, there are red marks where my bra was. So, unless dd is complaining, I assume things are ok.

If you're dealing with leaking poo, try a different fold. There are many different ways to fold a cpf, you might just have to experiment to find the right one. And the "right one" will change, as your child's size, shape, and poo change. I

Desert Rose
10-08-2007, 07:59 PM
If you're dealing with leaking poo, try a different fold. There are many different ways to fold a cpf, you might just have to experiment to find the right one. And the "right one" will change, as your child's size, shape, and poo change.

That was my next suggestion seen how you are already using a Snappi.

Here is a page that has a few.

http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php

musicmama
10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
We've always gotten red marks because of chunky thighs ;)

I was going to suggest a different fold, too, what are you using now?

schmamy
10-10-2007, 06:56 AM
we're just using the basic angel wing fold, shown here:
http://diaperpages.com/angel_fold.php
except I don't fold the top down, it makes it seem too fat.

2sunshines
10-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Yep, that's the fold that I use.

abbiroads
10-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I always have poop on the cover

musicmama
10-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Here's what I do, and I pull it pretty tight around the legs. I make sure there are no gaps. I also love love the bikini twist.

http://musicmama.smugmug.com/photos/206540395-M.jpg

http://musicmama.smugmug.com/photos/206540281-M.jpg

2sunshines
10-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Sara, that's the angel fold right? That's what i do. I've seen pics of the bikini twist but I just don't get it. I'm not sure how you can keep poop in with the fabric twisted and therefore bunched up in a prime area. :scratch

shercurrie
10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
I love the bikini twist, too. Every once in a while, if it seems like there's too much poo getting on covers, I'll switch to angel wing for a while, but I always go back to bikini twist. I like how it seems trimmer in the sides, and you can maneuver the leg openings to be nice and snug.

Sara, that's the angel fold right? That's what i do. I've seen pics of the bikini twist but I just don't get it. I'm not sure how you can keep poop in with the fabric twisted and therefore bunched up in a prime area. :scratch

The bunching up is more in the middle or in front not so much in back where the poo tends to go. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow, if I remember! (Not of poo...) :giggle

musicmama
10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes, the twist is just where it counts ;) You can see how it folds where the poo goes.

I have never, seriously, NEVER EVER had a leak or a blowout with a prefold. And only 2 other times with cloth in general, both when I should have put a large SB on her instead of a medium. Sophia was a master pooper as a bf'd newborn, too.

siberian
10-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Try "jelly rolling" the sides; it makes a nice little pooh pocket :smile